(OMG, first post )

hi ppl,

i'm gonna start with playing guitar and i think this will be my setup to begin with:

Ibanez grg170dx (its the gio-serie aka cheap serie)
i can go for the grg270 but the floyd bridge scares me

for amp i go for the cube-30 from roland/boss (i think its enough for practice and i heard it's just enough for when you play with a drummer)

now, do i have it all wrong or is this descent to begin with?

(i wanna play nirvana, metallica, offspring, red hot chilli peppers, system of a down, Korn, foo fighters, qotsa.. metal, rock and sometimes a little softer like stairway to heaven, like classics)
"Reward it Found"
well the amp is a good starter amp. I wouldn't go with that Ibanez. Ibanez are good, but get a higher model, it's not based on looks. Also, if you want a tremelo, floyds aren't that bad.

Secondly, welcome to UG
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
I'd advice you to start out with an acoustic the first 2-6 months. At least. Because its harder to play an acoustic, the basic stuff is much easier for you to handle once you make the switch to the electric. Iadvice you, VERY strongly, to start out on an acoustic first.
the roland cube is a great idea...

The Ibanez will do you well too but stay away from floating bridges (floyd) for your first guitar. They're an absolute pain to get in tune.

The grg170dx has a nice neck so it makes it easier to learn on.. and the fixed bridge will make tuning a lot more simpler!

That's a pretty decent first rig..
don't start on acoustic. There is no difference. I learned on electric and I can play acoustic and I don't think they are any harder. It was just like playing an electric without the amp
My Gear:

Yeah, for the first couple months, I'd learn on an acoustic. It'll build up your callouses and finger strength. I have a friend who started on an ibanez, be refuses to play acoustics because the strings are too thick, and his fingers start hurting (pussy )
Or if you want, you can stick with the Ibanez and have an acoustic right next to the ibanez, so you atleast get some finger development.
well, i'm probably buying the cool stuff in 3 weeks but in meantime i'm doing basics on a acoustic guitar.

about the ibanez: suggestions? i don't wanna spend to much on my 'first' and its like the opinions on the grg170dx are 50% good/bad.. (in music shops i visited and rl friends)
"Reward it Found"
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/eg_page.php?AREA_ID=3&PAGE_ID=474&COLOR=CL01&MODEL_NO=GRG170DX

Em, the GRG170DX has a trem...

EDIT: To address the point, I think that it's a reasonably priced starter guitar, I was gonna go for it but couldn't be bothered with the stringing and tuning difficulties.

Saying that, if you tackle them early you'll get more used to it...
^But not a floating one.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Yeah, kaplac has a point. I started to learn on an old acoustic and it developed my finger muscles. Besides, when you learn acoustic at first and then buy an electric, it gives you a wonderful feeling to play even more, just because electric has so much tones and is easier to play. It's your choise after all, just my advise here.
If you have cash, just get the RG321MH, if not, the GRG170DX is fine as long as you dont abuse the trem too much. Or get the starter pack and switch the amp to a Roland if can.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
170DX was my first electric guitar... lasted about 2 weeks then I sent it back for a refund. The neck is average, nothing special with frets or anything, and you can't use the trem unless you like to play out of tune.
Ibanez RG321MH - (PAF Joe / FRED)
Vox AC30
Don't see why you guys are suggesting the guy to start learning on an acoustic if he is interested in playing metal. You can build up finger strength on an electric just as easily if you do the right exercises, in fact you'll develop muscles and stretches you need right for an electric, instead of having to re-adept later. And you'll learn some simple licks as well while nailing down the basics in the process. So...
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
I say save some money and get a GRX20. It's cheap, good neck, two humbuckers, and a great metal starter guitar.
^^^ i agree. also, play some stuff with clean channels because distortion is gonna make you sound better than you are. you need to make sure you are playing cleanly and precise.
My Gear:

Theres alot of replys and didnt read all of them, so if someone already mentioned what I say haha, im sorry in advanced. But anyways, read the acoustic part and start with that. Thats what I did, well kinda, didnt ever plan on going metal and **** but it just happened. Its more of a personal preferance I think. Choose a guitar suited for your style. Acoustic does help to play the electric better, in my case anyways. Played acoustic for many 6 years, then switched over to electric and was much easier. My best advice would to be if your just starting out, start with using a pick. A lot harder than fingers at first, but u catch on quickly, I did neways. And just start by playing mainstream and easy songs. Cause if u just jump into trying to play techniqual and quick stuff you'll just end up letting yourself down. Just practise like a mother f*cker and in time you grasp everything gradually.
Quote by gregorisgod
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/eg_page.php?AREA_ID=3&PAGE_ID=474&COLOR=CL01&MODEL_NO=GRG170DX

Em, the GRG170DX has a trem...

EDIT: To address the point, I think that it's a reasonably priced starter guitar, I was gonna go for it but couldn't be bothered with the stringing and tuning difficulties.

Saying that, if you tackle them early you'll get more used to it...

The GRG170DX stays in tune quite fine, don't need to tune it like some people seem to think maybe every 1-2 days and you should probably do that with most other guitars

It's the whammy that knocks it out of tuning and since he's starting like me, there's no real use for a whammy bar

EDIT: Ffs didn't notice this was a searched topic :\
Last edited by BoL7z at Apr 16, 2009,
Wait...an 06er's first post + first guitar? O:

I went with an electric first and had no trouble going to acoustic, I don't think it really matters which one you start with, if you start electric, your going to have more of an interest to continue practicing than with an acoustic.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue