I newly read n discovered Line6 variax and tht guitar is so strange. Its missing pickups and can play tones of too many guitars. How the hell does it do it??? And a workbench software can even enhance it further allowing to place pickups the way you like it. Its just maddness.

Ok so basically I want to know it does alll this happen. I looked through wikipedia. Can someone help.
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
it uses a piezo pup under the bridge to get a nice dry signal for modeling.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
it is just digital processing of the signals, so you've got the guitar which is completely generic, and then you can model it to sound like different guitars or different settings on the guitar using the workbench. it's one of those things that has to be made because it's an original idea, but it's not a good idea
Hmm I din get it. If there is no pickup what is it that actually pickups up the frequencies of the strings?
Quote by hendo123456789
there is a pickup its inside the guitar, and then the signal from that gets digitaly messed with.
just because you feel it dosnt mean its there
http://www.conklinguitars.com/piezos.html
http://www.conklinguitars.com/magicofmidi.html

does it work with that stuff?

i dont know, i just remember seeing that..
I just told you man, it uses a piezo pickup that is located under the bridge saddles. The piezo crystal picks up vibrations from the strings.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Well i really din know whats a piezo. I've heard of it but know very lil abt it.
Quote by hendo123456789
So hows the tone quality of a line6 variax?

Also what wood is it made of? How can it produce sounds of diferent woods when it self it would be of some particular wood!!
Quote by hendo123456789
Its all done by digital processing. It doesn't change the wood of the guitar itself but say if you chose Mahagony as a wood, then the output would be darker and bassier. Same goes for position of pickups, if you threw in a neck pickup on guitar then its going to sound smoother and bassier. If you changed it to a humbucking bridge then there would be more treble and gain.
but it sounds kinda digital?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Ive heard it on a gig and actually it sounded great, I think that today the tone itself is not such a problem, what counts is how the guitar reacts to your playing. You can get a great sound out of it, true, but it will be a sterile sound which cant be tweaked too much by playing style.

Also what Im worried about is electric harmonics, I dont think piezos can pick up a "squeal"
So the sound is completely emulated. But does it sound good? Is it worth it? I mean it imitates sounds of nearly 27 guitars man.

Which wood is used to the variax anyways?
Quote by hendo123456789
Quote by invincibleneo
So the sound is completely emulated. But does it sound good? Is it worth it? I mean it imitates sounds of nearly 27 guitars man.

Which wood is used to the variax anyways?

Yeah I own one..It sounds pretty decent (especially the acoustic settings)...It doesn't sound synth because it's not midi either. The sound quality still isn't as good as the original (like the les paul setting) but other than that, it's a great guitar
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
^ what kind of amp and setup are you using with it? I played a 700 thru a Vetta II, and I thought it sounded pretty kickass. What model Variax do you have?
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
^ what kind of amp and setup are you using with it? I played a 700 thru a Vetta II, and I thought it sounded pretty kickass. What model Variax do you have?

I have the cheapest model..The 300 and I'm running it through a Marshall Plexi Lead simulation on my Podxt (no amp, just headphones) ...Even the 300 is kickass
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

cool, I figured it would sound pretty good with the pod. Have you played around a lot with the workbench stuff? If you have, how good do the pickup and body wood modelers sound, and how easy is workbench to use?
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
cool, I figured it would sound pretty good with the pod. Have you played around a lot with the workbench stuff? If you have, how good do the pickup and body wood modelers sound, and how easy is workbench to use?

Oh I don't have the workbench but it sounds pretty cool that you can customize the p-ups and wood and stuff

The concept sounds killer. But then the sound is after all what should be good. I wouldnt buy a electric to get a good acoustic sound, I would rather buy a acoustic snce I believe the acoustic sound is unmatched.

Can someone explain whats a podXT?
Quote by hendo123456789