Right I'm making a guitar for A-level starting in september and I have no Idea what shape to make the body! So can everyone post a body shape for me? It doesn't have to be traditional at all, it doesn't even have to be a guitar all I need is a simple shape that could be made into a decent looking guitar thanks!

Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
*Fights the urge to post of the Wangcaster*

... urge to wang... rising...

That was a close one!
what kind of music do you play?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
I play everything from blues to heavy metal. This is just a design project so I can make it an shape regardless of my style. It might be a bass yet anyway, depending on how much harder it would be.
Keep with the good pics

cool shape IMO. slightly classic, bit edgy aswell.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
the iceman is nice, could be pretty easy to cut. The carved top looks like it could be hard especially with the set neck. Any suggestions on how to paint them? I think it would get me higher mark

Had to be done lol

Um you should do a good V shape. Mix of a KV2 and an RR
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
the jaguar is a good idea. Last year 2 guys did Vs and they were awful so I think I might have to be a bit more fenderesque. Im tempted by an explorer though, anyone know if it would fit on a normal body blank?
I'm not sure yet, I've just emailed asking what the sizes are. If I made a rhoads I would have to give it contoured edges, and I'm not sure that would be a good use of time.
If I use a standard neck, any ideas on where I'm supposed to put the bridge i.e inches from neck joint? also would I be able to use a tune-o-matic or wraparound bridge?
I'm liking the W.O.M.D though. I might use part of that idea
Last edited by mrhoyo at May 26, 2006,
My dream shape is based on an Yamaha SG2000, but with a bit more in the cutaways, and a cut out bit at the end of the body. I made a MDF model, it looked sweet, never got around to building it though
lol nevermind i'm sure you will! and you just gave me a great idea. I'll make a template of MDF before I go cutting into a nice piece of Alder or Mahogany!
Quote by mrhoyo
I'm not sure yet, I've just emailed asking what the sizes are. If I made a rhoads I would have to give it contoured edges, and I'm not sure that would be a good use of time.
If I use a standard neck, any ideas on where I'm supposed to put the bridge i.e inches from neck joint? also would I be able to use a tune-o-matic or wraparound bridge?
I'm liking the W.O.M.D though. I might use part of that idea

The location of the bridge depends on the scale length, The distance between the ridge and neck joint varies between guitars. The location is measured from the nut and the distance is the scale length, e.g 25.5 inches, with some bridges some compensation is added.

You are building this guitar you can use any bridge you like.
thats good then. I was planning on using a standard fender neck, so if i used a tune-o-matic I would put the saddle part at say 25" and the actual bridge part a couple of inches down?
No you would put the saddles at around 25.5" The saddles are angled abit.
http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator/
That calculator gives you the postitions of the bridge posts.

Remember of your using a fender neck with a tune-o-matic you may have to have alittle neck angle.
neck angle or not, this is going to be awesome! I have to determine if i'm going to have it back or front routed though. Any ideas?