Right now i just have two solid state combo amps, and I am buying a new amp very soon. Probably either a Mesa Dual Rect. or the Peavy 6505. Anyway I noticed on tube amps they have two switches, one for the power and the other for standby. What is the standby switch for? I know this is a dumb question but I have no clue, and I am sure its important and I dunt want to ruin my new amp by doin something stupid. Thanks
~Metal Up Your @$$~ \m/
A Question i can answer at last...When your amp is on standby, only the heater is turned on to warm up your tubes before you start playing...it also comes in handy if you have a break in a gig and you don't want any sounds from your amp at the time - or while changing guitars etc to stop unwanted noise

EDIT: Basically, you should leave the amp on standby for a minute or so before you play it, to prolong tube life - otherwise you'll be mullering the hell out of your tubes before they've warmed up properly
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Last edited by deg0ey at May 18, 2006,
not a dumb question. In standby, only the heater filaments are active, so it just warms the tubes to operating temp. It's just so the tubes don't get stressed from giving them full power cold. After a couple minutes, you take it out of standby, and you're ready to play.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Yup, these guys are right, youll wear out your tubes if you turn it on right away. Turn it on standby for at least a minute and a half =)
So I let them heat up and then turn the standby off and then turn the power on?
~Metal Up Your @$$~ \m/
no...you have two switches, you turn one of them on to put it on standby and then the other one on to power on...and then the second one off to go back to standby
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
The standby should be in the standby position when you turn your amp power on. The labeling is different on some amps, but the principle is the same. In standby, the amp is "standing by" with the heater filaments active, and it won't produce sound. Out of standby, whether that's labeled as "On" or whatever, the amp will produce sound. With the standby switch in the "Standby" position, you turn the power switch on. After a couple minutes, you take the amp out of standby.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids