hey everyone....im considering letting my finger nails grow longer for finger picking.....I was just wondering if its easier to fingerpick with long finger nails.
oh yes, so so much easier!
Makes your tone completly different
especial essential if you play classical
But you do come under a lot of ridicule if you have long nails on one hand and not on the other, it looks seriously stupid. But its for the music man! Who cares?
You may find they break a lot, buy some clear extra hard nail polish or something. Or take calcium supplements.
i could have sworn buying a pick would result in alot less hassle
plus
yeah
theres this kid in my year who has the one thumb nail long
and he looks like a twazzock

gets bullied beyond belief
consider that captain birdseye

normal people dont consider the "music man"
It's Chico Time
how about makin up ur own mind? or experimenting a bit?
and BTW..iheartmiyself is right, picks are the way to go
do it.

it helps ur playing and if anyone takes the piss you can use my line.

a standard conversation:

person- "what's with the girlie nails"
me- "it's cos i play guitar"
person- "still dude isnt it a bit gay painting ur nails"
me- "gay...hmmm cos guitarists don't get women do they"

in terms of the last line i sometimes sub in other stuff for variety like "isn't it a bit gay that u suck stranger **** for money" or something
eh, lindsey buckingham uses long fingernails and he is beyond exceptional IMO (listen to 'go insane' from the fleetwood mac live cd/dvd, possibly one of the best songs ever written)
I have long fingernails on my right hand, its really useful playing fingerstyle and essential for classical guitar. So what if it looks a little gay, music comes first. And to all you pick fanatics, can you use 5 picks at once? Can you even use 2? Didn't think so.
Quote by StaggHound
That's the problem with kids today. No upper body strength.
Back in my day, when you smashed a guitar, it stayed smashed.

Cunning Pikes

The one and only member of the Cunning Pike Club.
Quote by adhuv

person- "what's with the girlie nails"
me- "it's cos i play guitar"
person- "still dude isnt it a bit gay painting ur nails"
me- "gay...hmmm cos guitarists don't get women do they"

I thought I was still in math class!!!!!!!
its easier and sounds better, esp. on classical in which it is just about essential. and most people dont give you crap once you just say, "i play guitar"
Grow your nails if your doing fingerstyle. **** what people think. It's all about you and the music in the end.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
Two of my right hand nails are long (middle and ring), its great for classical, blues, rock n roll, country and stuff like that. I keep the index nail short so I can tap, and tap harmonics, and becuase having long fingernails makes you not able to do lots of activities becuase they may break. I use the index finger of my dominant hand a lot, and thus its got a short nail.

Whenever asked about my nails, I just say its for guitar and i need them. No one really says much after that, and if they do I don't care because most people I know are so fake, lie to themselves and put on a mask while in public that I really don't give a **** what their opinion is

Seriously, people commenting on your sexual preference becuase you have slightly longer fingernails that they do shouldn't bother you.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by ask_withnail
Grow your nails if your doing fingerstyle. **** what people think. It's all about you and the music in the end.

This dude has got it. It will make your playing easier, and it feels weird to me, but I just play through it anyhow. And I usually don't keep them long for too long a period of time because I work on a tree farm, and long nails usually end up getting bent backwards and all kinds of ways that cause me great pain. I have seen some ads in Acoustic Guitar magazine that are for these fingerpicks that are supposed to replicate the sound of fingernails so that you don't have to grow your nails out. You might want to check into that, I think I will as well.
Quote by doggy_hat
And I can always borrow my friend's urine.

Love is the water of life, drink it with heart and soul---Rumi

----i love to drink----
Quote by Stagg_300
how about makin up ur own mind? or experimenting a bit?
and BTW..iheartmiyself is right, picks are the way to go

No.

Definitely grow your nails. They're not only good for guitar, it's orgasmic to scratch yourself, and easy to peel fruit.
If you find a bitch who won't budge on what he/she thinks of your nails, do what I do.

Some skank: Ewwww.. Your nails are disgusting!
Me: Yea I know right, especially this one *sticks up middle finger*

Besides, my nails are probably better than 90% of women's, they're clean, filed, shaped, and hardened.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
I'd say it's harder but I never gave it a chance to get used to it. It does make the tone crisper (like using a pick but with the advantage of beig able to double pick etc.)
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
Is there a way to make your nails grow out faster? I?m trying to grow mine out but its taking and imposable long time?and how do I Harden them?
The only way that has really worked for me is taking calcium or getting a ton of calcium.
Quote by GsKoRn1
Is there a way to make your nails grow out faster? I?m trying to grow mine out but its taking and imposable long time?and how do I Harden them?

I just use nail hardener.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Nail hardener? Yeh, you can get it from most big shops (Boots if you live in England). I have long nails on my right hand, don't get insulted, but then again, I am 17 and surrounded by mature people. I find the tone to be far nicer, and I have great control.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest