arg, im trying to find a decent guitar for no more than 300 canadian...the specs are not taht important...my plan is to mod pickups, tuners, and the paintjob...what do you guys think would be the best guitar for around 300 dollars?...(im kinda leaning more towards a strat design though, but whatever you recomend i will check out)...and it would be nice if the guitar had a decent body too
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

squire strat then redo everything
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
^i thought squire's had agathis bodies though, doesnt agathis = bad?...and im in the process of trying to figure out whether i should by an Ibanez RX20 for 225 second hand...what does everybody think?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Depending on what you get, there are some Squiers with actual alder bodies. They seem to mix up the woods that are being used a lot, so it might be alder, however it might also be plywood....
I have a solid Alder squire that im willing to sell for a decent price.....if your interested.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
i'm also thinking on moding a strat. you can buy a mexican second hand. i don't think that a squier is good enough to be moded
^yeah but mexicans are so damn expensive around here, still about 530 bucks at least...so what about the Ibanez RX20?...its hella old but its only 225 bucks...BUT I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ITS MADE OF!...anyone know?...i have cheacked EVERYWHERE and everyone either says its alder, basswood, agathis, and even maple...im leaning more towrads basswood or alder...i have never heard of Ibanez using agathis on any guitar...
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

i can find cheap mexican strats on ebay. i've found one for 100 euros. i don't know if it is a good deal. you need to be lucky.
Quote by seljer
Depending on what you get, there are some Squiers with actual alder bodies. They seem to mix up the woods that are being used a lot, so it might be alder, however it might also be plywood....

on the website, it says the squier strats are contoured alder, is that a big difference with just alder? thanks a bunch, im thinking about customizing my strat
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
my friends modding his squier.

the only thing he's keeping is the body, and MAYBE the neck

he wants to know how much a fret job would cost him.

any ideas? (from a shop probably, like R&R, L&M, or Tom Lee)
Quote by mangablade

I really don't know. I've never done a FRET job before...maybe 5 bucks a minute?
not sure if you can get this brand in US but monterey do a cheap strat style for just under three hundred aus. Solid alder body with maple neck. quite nice. im in process of modding one at moment.
Ebay!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by mangablade
my friends modding his squier.

the only thing he's keeping is the body, and MAYBE the neck

id probably be better to just get a new neck unless he really likes the neck
The neck is the best part about the Squier...they're narrower than Fenders, and really fast...

Great necks, I love them!
Right, so most everything from a Squier affinity and on is made of alder. Squier necks can very, you either get a good one, or a bad one. But ther are some great squiers around if your willing to look. If you play guitar and know how the quality of a guitar is determined then you shoudln't have a problem with pickign hte bad ones from the good ones.

As for re-frets, most places charge around 150-200 usd for a full refret.

And "contoured alder" is just a block of alder that has belevels and rounded edges ( smooth edges, and belly and arm side cuts)

As for that Ibanez someone was talkign about, it's probabaly agathis look up it's msrp, if it's pretty low ther's a good chance its' agathis. I'm almost positive that the grg series guitars are mostly made of agathis. I think the Ibanbez website even says it.

There I think I answered all the unanswered questions. Anyone here can clarify more if needed.

Edit: excuse my atrocious typing.
Btw, if you use a Squier body, DON'T GET A 2 POINT! THE TREM SIZES AREN'T COMPATABLE!
^ i dunno, i happened to see a Jay Turser strat with a Floyd Rose, hahaha it looked cool..and the RX is 225 canadian second hand?...so im not positive its agathis...but i guess im going to save up alot and buy a decent squier with a maple neck and solid alder body (im hoping)...any other recomendations? (i cant buy off ebay)
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
arg, im trying to find a decent guitar for no more than 300 canadian...the specs are not taht important...my plan is to mod pickups, tuners, and the paintjob...what do you guys think would be the best guitar for around 300 dollars?...(im kinda leaning more towards a strat design though, but whatever you recomend i will check out)...and it would be nice if the guitar had a decent body too

Basically, get a no name Strat copy.... Look in places like Costco or XS Cargo, they've always got em in there for about $129 Canadian, and that comes with a 10 watt practice amp too, and lots of other random things.

Not quite so sure about the wood quality, but i'm fairly sure they're normally just basswood.
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
Most strats need rerouting to fit FRs. I think if you ebay a "super strat" you might find something.
And I think costco makes those "starcasters" out of plywood.
Hell Patrol, I live in PEI, and I got a MIM Strat shipped to my door for about 350 CAD, consider eBay as an option!!!
Originally posted by sprkidjar
Sounds pretty good. The bass sounds weird. The vocals were good, except for the part where you screamed, you sounded like Elmo.
^ yeah but i cant order off ebay, CANNOT, my parents wont order off the net because they are paranoid....and the guitars at costco, ive seen them before...but all i need is the guitar...not an amp or strap or anything, just the guitar
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Ebay is a way better deal than anything else. Sucks to be you

Pussy. Convince your parents.
f u i already tryed, they are gay and wont do it..*cries like emo boy*
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn