Hi there,

I'm looking into buying my first electric guitar. I've been playing acoustic guitar for about two years now, am quite proficient at it, and am now looking for a slight change. I'm not going to switch completely from acoustic to electric, but I am looking to broaden my horizons with the addition of an electric guitar to my collection.

I've done some research on these forums and a lot of peopel seem to like Agile guitars a lot. Would it be smart of me to buy one as well? And also should I get a telecaster or a stratacaster? I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to electric guitars so any advice would be helpful.

Oh, and I'm looking to spend at most 300$.
different colours red black & blue
Details:
Body : Solid Alder
Neck : One Piece Hard Maple
Fingerboard : Maple Wood
Scale Length : 25-1/2? (648mm)
Frets : 22
Pick Ups : 3 Single Coils
Controls : 1 Volume, 2 Tone, 5 Position Lever Switch
Color : Red
Accessories :

Gigbag
Strap
Spare Strings
Plectrum
Pitch Pipe
Guitar Lead
10W Amplifier
Agiles are decent, but the question is, are you in the US?? Cause if not, then count them out. Also, I don't recal seeing a Telecaster or Stratocaster on the site (though I didn't really look that hard). What kind of music are you looking to play?? Cause that will determine the rough specs you should be looking for (you don't want to play super heavy metal on single coils lol). Anyway, the differences between the Strat and Tele (standard models) are as follows:
Strats have 3 pickups, Teles have 2.
Telecaster is single cut (only 1 cut out for upper fret access) Strat is double cut
Strats have tremollo bridges, teles are string though body (make sure you get a good bridge if you get a strat)
I think the standard Tele is 21 frets, strats are 22

I think those cover the major differences. Either way, get what feels right. And PLEASE play the guitar before buying (I wouldn't recommend getting an Agile first, because you can't play them, and you may not like the one you choose when it gets to you).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
What the hell???^ Fender is one of the top electric guitars. I don't even need to argue with you on that. It's a fact. And Sunny, don't doublepost. Read the rules.

Badtzwang, yes play the guitar before buying and I suggest a strat over a tele.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
It all depends on the kind of music you want to play. Also the price range you want to spend in. Remember you would also have to spend for a amplifier. If you have enough cash for a Stratocaster just pick it up blindly, you wont regret it ever. They're splendid guitars. nothing wrong wid 'em.
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
Fender definately.
Quote by hendo123456789
Will he be able to buy a fender without going over 300? I think he would half to settle for a squier. I have one. It was really good for about a year. That's when I bought another one. (an Epi) So yeah. Fender is a great company and they wont let you down.
well a fender standard strat would cost 350 from musicians friend and then he has to factor in the cost of an amp and a leads
He hasnt specified a price range. And he was speaking of strats him self. Thats why I recommended a Fender strat. Im not sure about the performanceof a squier.
Quote by hendo123456789
Id say either a MIA or MIM Fat Strat, Versitile and they play like a dream.

I would also suggest a Schecter, great guitars

Edit: Whoops didnt see the money cap, anywho you can still find a good MIM strat used, And For the budget also look into a Omen 6 Good guitars, will need a swap of pups later though
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Sunny:

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ nice Dave.

Anyway... $300 will get you an Ibanez RG321mh.

Do you need an amp, or do you have a separate budget for that?
^ yeah, i think it's the ip address.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
And who uses Teles for jazz?

Telecasters are for country and rock, man.
Thanks for the replies guys. $300 isnt the set budget so I can always buy something a bit higher. I guess my real budget would have to be $500. I didn't realize that electric guitars would be as expensive as acoustics.

So, I have my eyes set on a Fender Stratacaster and I'll be trying it out in the store and such. As many of you have asked, I don't have an amp ... so I'll need to buy that as well. How much do amps usualyl go for and which one should I think about getting?
I'm looking to maybe start an Arctic Monkeys or Strokes cover band. But other than that, I am really open to playing anything. Just nothing that's metal or country.

I've started to do my research and a friend of mine pointed to a small "mom & pop" store. What I really want to know is if their prices are reasonable and if there is something that I should consider buying there. Here's the site

http://www.newjerseyguitarandbasscenter.com/GuitarElectric.htm
I seem to keep plugging my own guitar but seriously try to find a peavey limited exp SSS or HSS (they make them HSS SSS or HH) they are harder to find but they are as good or better as a mexican strat, and cheaper.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Well, The Arctic Monkeys use strats and the Strokes use strats and semi-hollowbodies with P-90 pickups.

In your price range the Fender Standard Strat would probably be the best choice for what you want ot play. Make sure you try it first though.

For the $250 you'd have left you could probably get a Vox AVT30W amp. They're decent enough. You could also try a Marshall MG30DFX. Most people hate them, but I love my MG50DFX.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I hv heard really bad thing about MG's. When i was asking for adice people were abusing it.

@tomguitarworhi those peaveys you mentioned, which wood are they made of? Which pickups do they have?
Quote by hendo123456789
Thanks for the help guys ....

Also, I'm wondering why people approve of RondoMusic only if you live in the USA?
Quote by badtzwang
Thanks for the help guys ....

Also, I'm wondering why people approve of RondoMusic only if you live in the USA?

Because you can only get Agiles in a relatively good price in the US.

I suggest NOT getting a Fender Standard Strat as your first. You'd be spending too much on something that is hit or miss.

I'll get a link up with my suggestion shortly.

LINK: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EpiphoneVintageG400ElectricGuitar?sku=518669

Why suggest this, oh mighty John? Well, this guitars is a bang-for-the-buck winner in my books. Great sounding guitar for the price. I almost bought one as my first guitar, but it was $50 over my limit.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at May 23, 2006,
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Because you can only get Agiles in a relatively good price in the US.

I suggest NOT getting a Fender Standard Strat as your first. You'd be spending too much on something that is hit or miss.

I'll get a link up with my suggestion shortly.

LINK: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EpiphoneVintageG400ElectricGuitar?sku=518669

Why suggest this, oh mighty John? Well, this guitars is a bang-for-the-buck winner in my books. Great sounding guitar for the price. I almost bought one as my first guitar, but it was $50 over my limit.

Why do you say that its a hit or miss? I'm a pretty good acoustic guitar player and from what I hear, the electric is easier to play than the acoustic ..... so I'm banking on the fact that I already have the prior guitar experience to take me to the next level.
well the quality control on standard strats ARE a hit or miss but generally if you go to your local music store and try them out, pick the one that feels comfortable to you