I have a few questions about these

1)What exactly is it?
2)What do you need?
3)What advantages or disadvantages are there compared to a normal setup?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Its like buying an amp peice by peice. You need a power amp and a preamp, yeah there are advantages if oyu dont like how the distortion or something sounds, you can replace the whole preamp and get a new amp and vice versa
A rack is just. . . whatever. It can consist of a pre-amp, power amp, power conditioner, effects, shelves, etc. . .

You need whatever you want. You can have a rack consist of only effects, or have your rack be your amp head, there's tons of options.

Versatility. Most rack systems should be MIDI compatible, which allows for a lot of flexibility. However, a lot of people prefer playing live gigs with amp heads instead of a pre-amp+poweramp.
my opinion. may not be accurate but w/e.

1. its a metal rack with effects/heads mounted on it.
2. a rack :P, strangely ive never seen the actual rack being sold, just effects.
some effects are made just for racks, they have holes in the front of the so you can secure them to the rack.
3. all i can think of is, ease of setting up/taking down for shows (think about it, all your **** is in one place) and much higher quality effects.
on a topic of how you would like to be buried...

Quote by Jacob6293
in a coffin, underground, next to my wife.

Quote by tylerishot
Me too. But only if she's alive.

So all in all, its a more expencive but worthwile endever?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet