Hello. As you might've heard, i just recently bought a gibson les paul classic. Now, the guitar is perfect, to my mind. There's nothing i would change about it, except maybe the brittle headstock (which insures the reknowned gibson tone) while still retaining the tone.

Anyway, even though im totally in love with this guitar, im still a little unsure about things. For one thing, i don't have a decent amp. Now, the original idea was for me to take a summber job, in which i'd make enough money to spend half on the amp and having a big chunk of money left to do with as i please.

However, there is now some uncertainity as to weather or not i'll get that particular job. You see, my brother's mate, is the son of the guy owning the company for which i wanted to come work. Unfortunately, they've sort off fell out of touch, and me getting that job is no longer so certain.

Meanwhile, my guitar teacher told me he'd lend me his amp (Which rocks) for band practise and gigs when needed, although i'd have to manage with my cube30 for home practise. This is fine, as getting the gibson signifigantly improved the tone i get through my cube, to a degree of it becoming acceptable.

So the relatively bad tone i got from my epi no longer irritates me. Its was a great sample of epiphone, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't good enough to make the cube sound good.

Now, lets take a look at the present. With a certain job having become more or less uncertain, and indeed, possibly out of my reach, i have a great guitar, a crappy amp, and nothing else.

What i'd like to do, was returning the guitar on the grounds of displeasure, buying the insane mesa boogie i've been eyeing, maybe a buying a PRS SE custom, and installing some new pups into both that one and my current epi. That would cost roughly 300-400 more together than the one gibson.

It might be prudent to mention that i'm about to enter a band, and they seem like pretty talented people who just might make it somewhere.

So what should i do? Put my faith in the slight chance of my getting a job for the summer, ending up with money for new amp and lots of cash to spare.

Or should I return the guitar, buy the PRS and the amp, and install new pups into both guitars?

I should probably mention that I got the gibson lp classic pretty cheaply, and that with the prices rising the way they do, it prob wouldn't be a problem getting the price i paid for it in a couple of years.

Whew, this became a long post lol. Well, i really appreciate the help. This is really a big deal for me. Thanks a lot
Interesting. I can't tell if your going to sell the Gibson immedialty, or in a few years?? If it's a few years, just get a different job. Keep selling your name ane you'll get a job somewhere. Hell, just do that, no matter the circumstance, get a job anywhere you can. That's how all musicians work lol.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I would wait untill your certain that your not getting the job to return the guitar, because you don't want to return the LP, then find out that you are indeed getting the job. Good luck with it!
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
No, what i meant at the end, was that if i keep the gibson for now, then i can sell it in a few years if i somehow grow tired of it, or need the money, and get the price i paid. But right now, its a question of returning the gibson right away (Within the 14 day full warranty) so i can free up some cash so i can buy the mesa boogie amp and PRS.

EDIT: That was for one man army.

And thanks for the answers

I didn't think anyone would bother reading the whole thing lol.

Edit2: The problem is that i have to return it within 12 days now, and i won't get a definitive answer before 20th of june at least about the job.
It seems to me that you don't really "love" the Gibson. If you really did, there wouldn't be a doubt in your mind whether or not to keep it. I'm sure it's a great guitar, but if it's not for you, it just isn't. You really should think about it and if this gitar is one that you truly love and enjoy playing. If you do, keep it. If it's more of "just a nice guitar" then look into getting a guitar that you will love.

Just think about it and determine if this is your dream guitar or if it's just another guitar. If you do really like it, keep it. If you like it, but could do without it, return it.

And either way, if you can find one job you can find another. Even if it's just waiting tables at a restaurant, it's still a job that you're making money from. You should take that into consideration as well.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I would if i could xenn, really. ITs only that the job market is REALLY tight in my city at the moment, and im afraid most of the jobs will be taken by the older guys with more experience...

Edit: I really do love the guitar, i do. But i don't think there isn't another one out there i could love just as much. As far as guitars go, i don't believe in the "one true love"
Job turnover with restaurants is pretty quick. Ever notice that when you go to say, McDonalds you never see the same people working there? People get jobs at restaurants then quit when something better comes along. Go to different restaurants and just ask if they're hiring. I'm sure you could get one to hire you.

With the guitar, I also say wait to see if the one job works out. Or if you can find another one. Then make a decision.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Okay, ill try and wait and see if i can find something. Okay, thanks for all the answers guys This has been gnawing at the back of my head for a while. THanks
Gibson stock pickups aren't that great, and the guitar is only a small part of the overall tone. There is no point having a gibson to go with a cube when you are serious about playing guitar in a band, for paid gigs, I don't think it is a hard decision, lose the slightly unique tone from the heavy les paul, get higher output pickups for a cheaper guitar and buy the mesa boogie, overall your tone will be MUCH better than the best guitar in the world running through a solid state practise amp, the amp is 10x more important than the guitar
^True, but he can buy an amp later as well. His guitar teacher is also lending him an amp until he can get a new one.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
He can buy the gibson later on as well, and sell the guitar he has or use it as a backup and sell the epiphone
It really doesnt sound like you're in love with the Gibson. There is, however, more than one job in the world. You'll find one for the summer and hopefully end up with guitar and amp
I am very in love with it, trust me. And i think the pickups are great. Fantastic. The sound they give kinda purrs, its amazing. And the guitar is of excellent make, everyhing's even and the way it shoould be. There were some minor scratches on the side, which can only be seen if you hold it in the light and squint, but ill call the store and get a discount coz of that. Anyway, its a great guitar. Fantastic

But im not a romantic guy. I bow to pragmatism when i feel its needed.

Edit:
There are two reasons why i dont do like you say rubberbullets:

1. This guitar was the best sounding classic they had, it beat the other three gracefully. Actually, it was the best sounding gibson in the enire store counting the supremes and standards and the like.

2. The price was very low.
Last edited by guitarforever<3 at May 18, 2006,
I haven't decieded. I said thats why i dont do as you suggest and buy it later. If i return it, i prob won't buy this same model later, ill just wait and see if something good comes along. But thats the dilemma. I love this guitar.