Alright, I'm not really into this customizing stuff so I can't help him out I was hoping u guys can help. Hes got a Gibson anyway but his first guitar was A Fender Squier. So What the hell why not play around with it. So We went out the other day and he got these pickups the guys at Guitar Center say were similar to the sound in which eric clapton had used and they are putting em in the squier. Excuse my sounding like I kno nothing of guitars but i kno nothing of Fender Pickups or build cause Im a schecter guy. So once he changes the pickups im sure it will sound better but still its a Squier? how good can it sound. What other suggestions do u guys have for makeing this sound good. What about if he wants to repaint it, what do u do? Do u sand the paint off? and who can he change the headstock, or maybe just the lettering and get rid of the "SQUIER" name and put Fender Stratocaster? Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Steve
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
It's made out of shitty wood and it has a bad neck and bridge; doing that stuff won't help much.

Just my 0.0105798 GBP, even though I'm living in America and I've never been to England.
the best thing to do is buy a bunch of things gradually, or if you have have money now, just buy it all at once, INCLUDING a new body and neck... It eliminates the point of it being his first guitar, but i did it as a way of storing parts on the squire until i could afford new body and neck, then its a huge step up, and fully customized basically.
the trem and tuners need replacing, the neck is probably fine, maybe new pots/ switch. im doing that to mine right now, but i got a new body because the agathis they use will never sound as good as alder or similar.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Basically... You can't put "Fender Stratocaster" on the head, because it's not.

It's a Squier.

You can put in new pickups, but the wood is your downfall.
acxtually- it could soudn quite well. many squires* the higher end ones- not bullets- have decent wood, but theres alot of lgue lines n such. and the pups suck in them.

so add new pups- a high mass tremelo, new tuners- probably locking- and it will sound good enough toplay anywhere he doesnt want to drag his gibson to
Yeah, anything over a bullet is likely Alder.

Most important replacements:

Tuners
Bridge(You don't need to if you tighten the springs a ****load or block it though.)
ALL ELECTRONICS, new pots, etc.
You can be left with a decent guitar. No ****.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Yeah pink queen got msot of it.

Ebay sells Fender logos, jsut scratch it off with a razor or osmething nad put the fender on it.

New electronics will help.

And a new bridge will be hard to find unless your prepared for some rerouting. Squier uses different dimensions on their bridges.

You may need a ne wneck, if the fretjob on it is wacked.
well he got those pickups, and he got the whole thing rewired he said
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join