Does anyone have some suggestions of good jazz scales to learn, I was trying to play along with my Dave Brubeck recrods and realized straight pentatonic and major scales dont always fit that well.

Thanks
Learn your modes?? I'd explain them but theres so many lessons on ug and online in general. If you dont get them then Ill try to explain myself.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Well even before learning scales it's important to understand the chord progressions. You can't usually use just one scale over a progression, besides a few exceptions like modal jazz.

Learn chord construction.
Learn the keys chords are located in.
Learn your modes of the major scale.
Learn the application of these modes over the various chords.

After that, you have the bare bones of jazz soloing. There are other scales that can be incorporated, and much more in-depth techniques, but these basics are probably where you should start.
Learn all the Jazz modes like Superlocrian etc.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Last edited by ~1954~ at May 20, 2006,
learn:

The modes
Melodic Minor modes
Bebop Scale (which is a Mixolydian mode with an added major 7th) so in the key G it would be: G A B C D E F F#
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
I would learn the diminished scale, melodic minor, and major scale including the modes for these scales. The bebop scales are just normal modes with an added chromatic.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
there's no such thing as jazz scales !!!

you can sound jazz by using a simple major scale. its just how you approach it. And how the band approaches it.
Quote by tryhardslash
dude like every song has disortion

and its called distorting
Quote by psychodelia
Well even before learning scales it's important to understand the chord progressions. You can't usually use just one scale over a progression, besides a few exceptions like modal jazz.

Learn chord construction.
Learn the keys chords are located in.
Learn your modes of the major scale.
Learn the application of these modes over the various chords.

After that, you have the bare bones of jazz soloing. There are other scales that can be incorporated, and much more in-depth techniques, but these basics are probably where you should start.
Psychodelia is right on the money. I might also suggest that you check out the late, great Ted Greene's two-volume set Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by cold_static544

you can sound jazz by using a simple major scale. its just how you approach it. And how the band approaches it.

Technically no, but there are unusual modes which have become popular in jazz music, and are refered to as jazz modes.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Quote by cold_static544

"Bepop-scale"

?
what i meant is that to do jazz what matters is not just the scale but how one interprets it.
Quote by tryhardslash
dude like every song has disortion

and its called distorting