i just got a 4104 2x12 50watt jcm 800 combo in today and i'm curious how it should be setup on the back for the best and most economical sound.

what should the ohms be at? 4, 8, or 16

what about the main switch on the back? 120, 220, or 240?

and when it comes to eqing the thing what would you suggest for a slashy/acdc sound out of it. i know you have to put the volume up at a certain level before the overdrive kicks in.

i was mainly asking about this to see if the ohms or the main switch resulted in not having to turn it up so loud...but i don't think it does.

oh yeah and what the heck should i set the preamp volume at compared to the main? should the preamp be all the way up like a gain when i want distortion or does it not work like that?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
one more thing...i got it in and it didn't have a power chord...so i used a regular computer power chord that fit it. are all those 3 prong power chords created equal or did this amp have a special one that regluated wattage for example or something?

so basically is it safe to use the power chord i'm using or do i need to hound this guy to find and send me the original.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
none of you skilled amp builders and users can help me out?

the speakers are gm12 70 celestian's...2 of them 12 inches..forgot you'd need to know that when it comes to telling me the best ohms setting.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Last edited by bonchie1 at May 18, 2006,
all power chords are the same.

dont know the answers to everything else, sorry. Someone will come, be patient.

EDIT: power CORDS!
Quote by davidp313
all power chords are the same.

dont know the answers to everything else, sorry. Someone will come, be patient.

EDIT: power CORDS!

yeah i figured that...but just wanted to make sure since this thing was made in 82. i'm used to the gear or electric forum where you get 50 responses in 5 minutes lol.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by bonchie1

what should the ohms be at? 4, 8, or 16

what about the main switch on the back? 120, 220, or 240?

The ohms are just for speaker matching, you wanna match your impedance with the speaker/cab you'll be using (8 ohm cab? set it to 8)

The switch on the back depends on where you live actually, if you live in the US or Canada you want it on 120, europe either 220 or 240. It's just to match the voltage you're plugging into.

As far as the speakers go, it depends on how they're wired, 2-8 ohm speakers can be wired to be either 4 or 16 ohms for example. 2-16 ohm speakers will be wired for 8 ohms, and 2-4 ohm speakers will (usually anyways) be wired for 8 ohms
Last edited by greenbox at May 19, 2006,