well, I would get EMGs but it's going in an alder guitar.
what do you think would be the absolute best for:
thick distortion but with clarity, think children of bodom. I do alot of shreddy stuff, but want great riff tone too (metallica). however, I don't like the smooth neck shreddy tone much- LAIHO LAIHO LAIHO LAIHO LAIHO LAIHO. Gonna just get a bridge pickup I think...currently I just use my stock bridge pickup for everything, so..

hopefully that's enough info to get the idea

oh, and I don't want some crazy expensive foreign thing either, lol, so don't tell me about those.

thanks
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

Abcdemg!!
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
get a dimarzio super distortion, or a seymour duncan
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipcream" - Frank Zappa
alder!!

emgs are supposed to suck in alder. i hear.

edit: ^ the dimarzio super distortion is actually the one I was considering the most. what SDs might be good specifically as well?
I'm not racist.

Last edited by SpIkE27Z at May 18, 2006,
Quote by SpIkE27Z
alder!!

edit: ^ the dimarzio super distortion is actually the one I was considering the most. what SDs might be good specifically as well?

jb, tb5, tb4, they're all good
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipcream" - Frank Zappa
Quote by SpIkE27Z
alder!!

You heard wrong. I have EMGs in an Alder body and it sounds just as good as my Viper which is EMGs in mahogany. Alder gives a brighter sound

ESP M-1000FM
ESP Viper 400
Peavey 5150II half stack
Korg DTR-1000 rack tuner
Furman power conditioner
sound clips? and I already have a bright amp, might be too much bright..
I'm not racist.

I like the dark deep crunchy tone from Seymour Duncan Custom (SH-11)
Wat about a Dimarzio X2N, supposed to be really good, not totally shure about hte tone though. Should do stuff like COB but it is SUPER hot.. for passive
I don't know if I want the absolute hottest possible since I like playing lead with my bridge pickup

budget, not sure..hopefully as cheap as possible...I guess just the normal range price for a pickup

peavey xxx combo
I'm not racist.

^^^ Dude! I love the crunchy tone from the Peavey xxx. I'm jealous! lol. Check out the seymourduncan.com and listen to the SH-11. The have a killer crunchy tone, not too bright and squealy and not muddy at all... Perfect! I think those would compliment the xxx.
lol, cool. the description makes it sound kind of light...I still want this to be heavy. METAL.

it probably would be great though, I'm gonna keep looking

now I'm looking for some new single coils too because I might as well get new those too..
I need a neck and middle one (strat)

recommendations? currently for cleans/neoclassical-er shred i use the middle and neck combined. I want something that will do mostly stuff with distortion, but I'd like some cleans. also I think I'd like a bit thicker tone from the neck/middle ones, so take that into consideration.

what do you guys think?
I'm not racist.

Can't suggest single coils... but check out the Duncan livewire. If you're looking to play NU Metal.. get a killer distortion petal. I think Ibanez tube screamers were good, but never used one.
Quote by Chazzy29
I like the dark deep crunchy tone from Seymour Duncan Custom (SH-11)

thats a custom custom silly
As the guitar is adler, and you already have a fairly bright amp, stay away from EMG's or the Duncan JB. Both would be very very bright with the setup.....bad unless if that's what you're personally looking for.

I'd also stay from the X2N....too much output to control, and the blades bring in a sterile tone at times....not good with the XXX.

If you're willing to drop the money for them (you can get them for a great price on ebay), the PRS Tremonti pups are amazing! I recently got the for my Ibanez SZ, which previously had the JB, and I finally found why everyone complained about the unbalanced EQ of the JB.....

The Tremonti slays it. Perfect EQ between the frequencies, very tight (really really tightened up my rectifier), and high output, for some crazy tones!

IMO, the best high output passive out there!

The neck pickup complements it perfectly, but that is another story!
I think I'm most likely going for a dimarzio super distortion

how about for the neck and middle single coils? that's what I'm more clueless about now, lol.
I'm not racist.

IMO if you go dimarzio humbucker, then go with dimarzio singles... but I have no suggestion to which ones. I like dual humbucker guitars, have no use for single coils.

Good Luck!