Page 1 of 2
Hey whenever I get a couple grand in my wallett im gonna buy a marshal. what kkind of marshal do you think is best??

EDIT best marshal available new today! and tube amp
Hey
Last edited by jrthegreat91 at May 18, 2006,
JTM

EDIT:
Or 18 watt
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^No they arent. Not compared to thge real MArhsall all tube ones. Id say a JCM800 or JCM900 woudl eb great. Or JTM, JMP, Plexi if you got the money.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^AVT is t3h suck

Really though...you might wan't to specify your price range...

BUT WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T BUY AN MG!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
The 'best' out there at the moment is the handwired 2203. But it's gonna cost you an arm and a leg.

Take a look at the TSL. It's probably the most full-featured new all-tube Marshall available.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
The 'best' out there at the moment is the handwired 2203. But it's gonna cost you an arm and a leg.

Take a look at the TSL. It's probably the most full-featured new all-tube Marshall available.

theres a 2203 head on ebay right now with a buy it now of 1000 bucks...i have to admit i was surprised...but if you look you can find them cheap.

and if not get a 2204 of 2205 jcm 800 model...you won't be able to tell much difference in them between the 2203 model.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Crunchmeister
The 'best' out there at the moment is the handwired 2203.

+1

...the JCM800 ones from the 80's though, not the reissues.
Quote by jrthegreat91
price doesnt matter im just want to get the best i think the jcm800

hellllooo there are other amps out there besides just Marshall ya know.

makin me sick here....
^ i disagree, they are known for their crunch but they still have really good cleans, especially the dual input models with low sensitivity.
Quote by Unforgivable
jcm800s aint too good for clean sounds

2nd dumb thing i've heard from you today.

They're not great but they do have good cleans.
JCM 800 2203/4/5
JCM 900 50w Hi-Gain dual reverb

Just asking, You know Marshall isn't the only brand of awesome amps, right?
If you haven't looked into anyone else, Try
www.mesaboogie.com
www.orangeamps.com
The Fender tube combos are pretty good as well

But if you have, and are sure you need a Marshall, Then the heads above are the best, IMO.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
JCM 800s 2203 heads and combo have awesome cleans. The trouble is that most are only single channel, so they'll do EITHER clean or crunch. They have fantastic clean tone when set right. There are also old JCM 800 dual channel models. I used to have a dual channel 2 x 12 combo some years ago, and the cleans were totally orgasmic.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
It depends what kind of music you wanna play. The JCM 900 is IMO more versatile as it has nice full and sparkly cleans (mine is the EL-34 version) I don't know about the US versions with 5881s though, distortion wise it has more gain than the JCM 800 because it uses some diode-clipping like later model JCM 800s and the Silver Jubilee models. With the 900 there is a switch at the back which allows you to run it at 50W or 100W and I can easily get a fat 800 sound with my amp.

There is no 'best' marshall, each has its own strong and weak points for example later marshalls were built with cost cutting measures as opposed to earlier models e.g. Handwired plexis.

Each Marshall has their own distinctive sound so it's really subjective on which ones people prefer. Anyway if you get a tube amp you can always change how the amp sounds to your liking by changing valves, biasing them hotter or colder etc.

Listen to the Trilogy album by Yngwie Malmsteen to hear what an overdriven Marshall Superlead Plexi sounds like
Jackson Warrior w/ SH-10&SH-13, Floyd Rose Original

1990 Marshall JCM 900 4100
w/ EL-34 Mullard re-issue Power tubes
V1: Harma STR-270 & V2,3: GT-12AX7-M

Boss GE-7 EQ
Last edited by JCM900DUDE at May 19, 2006,
What do you play threadstarter?

Marshall Bluesbreaker gets my vote.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^mmmm... I want to try one!

JCM800's arent to shabby either.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^I've tried one! Gorgeous on cleans, but I didn't get a chance to crank...someday though
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
If you had a crapload of space(read:living in the middle of nowhere on a farm with 5 acres)then it'd be so much fun to have a proper Plexi and 4x12 cab and cranking it up to 10 every morning to wake yourself up.

If you're MOST of us then an early run JCM800 would do quite nicely.
Most of the recorded material you've heard is a JCM800. Maiden, Priest, Foos, Wylde, early Metallica. You name the band, they probably used 800's currently or have used them.
JCM900's, eh, good, but mixed reviews
JCM2000's better than 900's and great gain with a better clean.
JTM's are the sleepers. Ever hear a JTM 60 combo? Sings...and affordable.

If you really want a hotrodded Marshall sound, dont be railroaded by most of the users on this site.
There are other options such as Carvin, Traynor, Kustom, Randall, Fender, of course Mesa, but who has that kind of cash when you work PT at the supermarket
My personal amp right now is a Carvin MTS3200 50th anniversary model. It comes with 5 12ax7 tubes in the preamp and 4 Sovtek 5881's in the poweramp. Not bad stock, but I have 5 JJ ECC83S' in the preamp and 4 JJ E34L's in the poweramp. You want hotrodded Marshall, for about 500 less? Try this setup. Oh yeah, clean as an amish pu$$y.
I've owned all of the JCM series amps in one configuration or another. Love the 800, though, but pricey.
Get A PLEXI
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Quote by demea

JCM900's, eh, good, but mixed reviews
JCM2000's better than 900's and great gain with a better clean.

I disagree, I think the 900's are superior to the 2000's IMO.
Quote by Gutch220
I disagree, I think the 900's are superior to the 2000's IMO.

for sure.

besides... thats such a broad question ya know

"Whats the BEST Marshall out there?"

well...the best for WHAT? Each does its own thing damn well...so its too big of a question for me.
I think a better question would be "whats the best/favorite Fender amp?......hmmmmm

mutha sucka
The High Gain Dual Reverbs use diode clipping for added distortion, so not technically a true tube signal path.

The 900 SLX's are like hot rodded 800s - extra pre amp tube instead of diodes.
Quote by stringmagician
aren't JCM 900s not fully tube? at least thats what I heard

From the 2 channel version of the JCM800 and onwards (the JCM900s were basically just an expansion of the 2 channel JCM800s) they started using diodes for more clipping in the amp. Though it doesnt sound that bad (Slash, John Frusciante, everyone that uses one of the modern JCM2000s, etc...) but some purists disagree...

Though there have been a few fully tube Marshalls made after that time without the diodes. The 30th anniversary models and the JCM900SL-X.
Quote by seljer
From the 2 channel version of the JCM800 and onwards (the JCM900s were basically just an expansion of the 2 channel JCM800s) they started using diodes for more clipping in the amp. Though it doesnt sound that bad (Slash, John Frusciante, everyone that uses one of the modern JCM2000s, etc...) but some purists disagree...

Though there have been a few fully tube Marshalls made after that time without the diodes. The 30th anniversary models and the JCM900SL-X.

right.

i imagine its hard to find a true all tube amp nowadays right? like arent most modern ones built with diodes, seljer?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
right.

i imagine its hard to find a true all tube amp nowadays right? like arent most modern ones built with diodes, seljer?

Nah, not really. Peavey 5150s and Soldanos and the like just use a ton of gain stages to get all that distortion they have. I have no idea about Mesas because their circuits are ****ing confusing but I dont think they use them either.

Or do you mean ALL tube as theres not one solid state thing in the signal path at all (not even for things like running the reverb and effects loop or for channel switching)? theres a couple of those out there as well.
^ i was talking about like the early 800s. you said that everything from the 2 channel 800s and on used diodes for more clipping...
Not all amps, as he and I have both said the SLX series used an extra pre-amp tube. But generally, most modern high gain amps use diode clipping for extra drive.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
^ i was talking about like the early 800s. you said that everything from the 2 channel 800s and on used diodes for more clipping...

ah, yeah. The 2203 and 2204 models (and 4010, 4103 and 4104 combos) have got only tubes in there.
i have a tsl 60 and its good, but when i play it, it seems like i didnt set up the tubes right because the sound kinda doesnt sound the same as the ones at the stores. when i got my tubes changed i got a set of jj's e34ls and ecc83s's, but one of them broke so i put a groove tube in there. is that groove tube the reason behind the crappier sound?
JAMONE
Quote by sHieZaN
when i got my tubes changed i got a set of jj's e34ls and ecc83s's, but one of them broke so i put a groove tube in there. is that groove tube the reason behind the crappier sound?

uh. id take it in man. you should really have matching tubes unless youre a pro and you know how to mix and match.
Page 1 of 2