How would raising or lowering the pickups on my WI14 alter the sound?

Also, as newbish as it sounds, how do I do it?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
theres a screw on either side of each pickup.

u slowly turn that screw to raise or lower that side.

u can raise a side closer to the string to increas the volume of those strings.
so if u wanted more BASS, u would raise up the bass side.

in general, farther away, decreases volume,
closer increases volume and bite, and
too close makes it sound muddy.

blue lines.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thanks a lot. How close should a pickup generally be to the strings?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
just adjust it until it sounds like you want it.
Gear:
ibanez ic 400
fender metalhead half stack
jackson sl3 soloist
Thanks for making this thread, my guitar sounds a hell of alot better now.
BOLD.
Quote by Xenn99

If the pickup is too close, you will hear sorta like absorbed sound. This happens when its too close to the pickup, where the magnets will just pull your string decreasing its sustain, hence the absorbed kinda sound (kinda hard to explain the sound). Just adjust the pickup till you can hear good sustain.

Also, switch between different pickups to adjust the volume. For example if you like your neck pickup sound, pick the low E string and switch to the bridge/middle, compare the volume of it, if its low, raise the pickup and vice versa. You can do this to your treble side (high e) too.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at May 19, 2006,
yep also to fine tune it even more. check and see if u have adjustable pole pieces.

see how the bottom row are actually screws?

if u thought, for example that ur pickup always had too much treble. u could use a tiny screw driver to raise the two poles for the Low E, and A strings. that would increase its bass sound.

if ur poles arent adjustable, u could just leave that side of the pickup, a bit higher, like said.

and also like said, too close to the strings and the pole magnets, shorten the strings vibrations and lessen sustain.

so its all preference, trial and error.

for pole adjustments, small turns, and no lower than flush to the pickup.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by maddd0g
Thanks for making this thread, my guitar sounds a hell of alot better now.

Haha, I like the new, improved avatar there

Back on subject though, I think I'm gonna raise the pickup to one side so it's nearer to the treble strings, especially for solo's and things. They're quite high up now (the pickup) which is quite good.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by Xenn99

On top of what the others said, fret the highest fret on all the strings. If they touch the pole pieces then they are too close.
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
Quote by PurpleMonkeyDW
On top of what the others said, fret the highest fret on all the strings. If they touch the pole pieces then they are too close.

They shouldn't be anywhere near close enough to touch! At that close the pickup magnet will be affecting the movement of the strings so your notes will be muddy and flat.
True that but I always take the precaution of turning the amp off before messin with the pickups. I go as far as they will go and then work my way back until I get the tone I need.

edit: I've gotten my strings pretty damn close to them on my Agile without them sounding muddy.
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...