how much would it cost to build my own guitar if i provided the wood myself? also how long would it take?

and last thing, what do people paint their guitars with, to make them smooth and glossy-like?

i heard some just spray paint them !
CLICK MEEEEEEE

Gear Building and customizing

I'm a crap luthier(but i've never really tried) and "just spray paint them"=, it takes a looooooong time and many coats of paint to get that glossy finish.
Last edited by R0CKER1220 at May 18, 2006,
Don't.. DON'T spray paint unless you want it to turn to crap later on. You are gonna need the wood, good wood. You are gonna need some 1/2 decent measuring/drafting skills. You need a jigsaw (price varies). It would take about 5 days if you work on it a good bit each day. Your gonna need the paint and gloss (Look onlione for a good one, waterproofed and what not). You need the electronics and pickups, knobs. You are gonna have to make frets. If you have a jigsaw or something of the sort, probably... 200 something bucks (Basically for the electronics).
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Quote by horazonblade
Don't.. DON'T spray paint unless you want it to turn to crap later on. You are gonna need the wood, good wood. You are gonna need some 1/2 decent measuring/drafting skills. You need a jigsaw (price varies). It would take about 5 days if you work on it a good bit each day. Your gonna need the paint and gloss (Look onlione for a good one, waterproofed and what not). You need the electronics and pickups, knobs. You are gonna have to make frets. If you have a jigsaw or something of the sort, probably... 200 something bucks (Basically for the electronics).

How does one go about making frets?
BOLD.
lol cool BS flag lol that mad eme laugh!

could i make my guitar out of oak, or birch?

how come people only make guitars out of basswood, alder, mahogony etc?

why dont people make a guitar just out of maple or rosewood, so it extends into the fretboard?
Quote by maddd0g

Im not sure about this, but i think you buy special long strips or fret and then cut them to your disered lengh, then make the gloves in fretboard and insert

i dont know how to make you own frets
Quote by maddd0g

buy or make a neck, measure where the frets should be, carve a small divit for the fret, take some Fret wire, cut the fret wire to size, and somehow stick it in there.
Quote by 4e574e57363g
lol cool BS flag lol that mad eme laugh!

could i make my guitar out of oak, or birch?

how come people only make guitars out of basswood, alder, mahogony etc?

why dont people make a guitar just out of maple or rosewood, so it extends into the fretboard?

Its all about the tone, And i highly reccomend that you only use hard woods.
oak is hard as hell! damn that guitar would sound freaking sweet! kinda heavy though

when i go to russia im gonna build an oak guitar with a birch neck fretboard

my grandpa has a nice workshop

(yes im from russia)

Please, don't take any advice from these HORRIBLY mis-informed people. Post your questions in GB&C, and check out the stickies. They have websites for tutorials, forums, supplies, tools, ect, ect.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'