Why does guitar suffer from a lack of originallity compared to other instruments?. Hendrix was around 40 years ago and too many guitarists try to plagurise him and van halen, clapton, page etc. Guitar is a cool instrument but it took innovators like Hendrix to change it. Some innovators i can think of..Korn..Michael Hedges..Sonic Youth..maybe alternate tunings are an answer?..
guitar is freakin awesome..........screw changing it
Alright dont talk sh it if you dont know what your saying. Take a look at all music out there.
Examples Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (tell me thats not original) crazy acoustic, some nice two hand tapping. Sigour Ros has got some original stuff if your into that or some tool
Like SD said, what other instruments of the past 40 years have reflected more originality and diversity than guitar?
Maybe ive listened to too many power chords and pentatonic solos!...nothing wrong with that at all but bands like Korn or RATM had a different approach
flamenxo granted..sigur ros not really original..tool dynamic but how is it nothing brand new,,
^ Yeah, and I suppose pianists have been coming up with all sorts of new techniques and methods unheard of in the past.
listen to more stuff..........everything

chances are that u really like other stuff too

for example ive recently fallen in love with doo wop and andrew lloyd webber

never limit yourself
check out Michael hedges for an example..rare innovator..radiohead as well
maybe not piano but something like vocals is constantly changing and innovative..

Maybe this attitude is the problem..guitarists are content not to push themselves-also you hear guitar so much you naturally copy whats around you..
Drums are contsantly being innovative..fusing different genres and techniques eg Antonio Sanchez.

Maybe a problem with music in general..maybe in the 60's drugs fueled all that great inspiration..
Quote by Mahavishnu80
Why does guitar suffer from a lack of originallity compared to other instruments?. Hendrix was around 40 years ago and too many guitarists try to plagurise him and van halen, clapton, page etc. Guitar is a cool instrument but it took innovators like Hendrix to change it. Some innovators i can think of..Korn..Michael Hedges..Sonic Youth..maybe alternate tunings are an answer?..

... I don't see how those bands are doing anything really ground-breaking at all. Maybe I'm wrong, please enlighten me.

I think you've just been listening to too much of the music that's popular, but there are a lot of amazing things done on guitar and unique styles out there that branch out more than, in my opinion, other instruments such as drums piano or trumpet. Take the fingerstyle and accentuated perfection from guitar players like Jeff Beck or Mark Knopfler. The electronica, sound effect, etc. of Radiohead or Tom Morello. There are also many styles and players lot of people just don't know about, like 7-string jazz guys, or two-handed tapping accoustic players (Justin King, for example). Ever heard of a guy named Andres Segovia? Well you should have, but probably haven't. He's an old Spanish guy that made everything we do today on guitar possible.

Quote by Slurgi
He's an old Spanish guy that made everything we do today on guitar possible.

haha whoa. bold statement.

but to the threadstarter... you probably just aren't listening to enough stuff. I think you need to start experimenting with some other genres. But finding true originality is going to be very very difficult. True innovators don't come along every day... that's why they're so special. For example: you mentioned alternate tunings as maybe being the answer? Well suppose you got really big off your songs that were played in alternate tunings. You can't call yourself totally original because you're only doing what Nick Drake has already done years earlier.

So yeah, like I said, the closest most will come to truly being original is simply doing something that's already been done, but just isn't done all that much............ like playing a harp guitar. Like this guy...

And I promise you, as soon as someone ends up on total request live playing one of these things, their fans are gonna claim they invented the instrument.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich
haha whoa. bold statement.

How much of the history of the guitar do you know? Granted, I don't know a whole lot (but as an aspiring engineer, I hold high regards for vast pools of knowledge), but he's really THE person that brought the guitar to life. It could also be said and Antonio de Torres was an even bigger deal, since he was one of the first to use fan-strutting for bracing thin top woods, giving the guitar much-needed (at the time) volume, and also changed the dimensions and other such things.

Edit: That's a pretty sweet picture btw.
Last edited by Slurgi at May 19, 2006,
Quote by splice
andres segovia pwns btw

for the record..... I totally agree.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by Slurgi
How much of the history of the guitar do you know? Granted, I don't know a whole lot (but as an aspiring engineer, I hold high regards for vast pools of knowledge), but he's really THE person that brought the guitar to life. It could also be said and Antonio de Torres was an even bigger deal, since he was one of the first to use fan-strutting for bracing thin top woods, giving the guitar much-needed (at the time) volume, and also changed the dimensions and other such things.

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with what was said. it just made me laugh because of the way it was worded.
Banging on a trash can