Man, I'm trying to get into a little acoustic playing, some fingerpicking mainly, tried Dear Prudence and Blackbird by the beatles. It's hard! Others have said that they aren't hard songs, but I'm having trouble. I mainly play bass, so I'm used to big honking strings, and these littler ones get on my nerves. Plus my fingers get all itchy. And my left hand is...bleh. Anyone got any tips or advice on getting better at fingerpicking?
I don't need no instructions to know how to ROCK!

Just because you can do something does not mean you should.
Quote by Clay Treznum
quit

hahahahahaha

just practice, and you will get beyyer, it takes time, and you slowly develope techinquice over time, no one learned finger picking in just a few weeks
start with a simpler picking pattern. Both those songs were based off the basic picking pattern known as "travis picking" look up travis picking practices, or learn the "dust in the wind" intro. It's a thing thats good to know, and gets your speed up.
thumb and ring for notes at the same time, then index for the fill in note.
Actually you'll find it better in the long term if you use your thumb for the bass strings and your first, second and third fingers for the treble strings.

You may be able to get by for now using just your index but you'll only have to adapt later when things get more..... shall we say..... interesting.
yeah just start slow and eventually your fingers will adapt.
practice, practice, practice!
Jade

Member #5 of the Claptonfan13 is and idiot club-pm Lessthanbass22 to join
(\__/)
(='.'=) this is bunny, put him in your signature
(")_(")and help him on his way to world domination
Alternate fingers. Especially if 2 consecutive notes are played on the same string, use your index finger for the first then your middle. If you use only one finger you limit your speed and will not play as steadily.
you'll get used to it. i thought about the same thing. wondering about how those people can get so good. just practice and feel the rhythm
Sent from my iPad.
You play bass, but can't fingerpick?
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Your fingers itch?? Are you alergic to nickle or any type of metal??
Quote by ufossuck
You play bass, but can't fingerpick?

It's the string spacing that's really getting to me. I'm probably still learning faster than most, but these tiny arse strings get annoying.

Psychodelia - Thanks very much! I'ts just about time for bed now, but I'll get to work on those in the morning.

For reading the lessons, you know pmia, right? It is the names for the right hand fingers, p is thumb, i is index, m is middle, a is ring. I don't know why it's pmia, I haven't been able to study classical too much.
Quote by ScottZ
Man, I'm trying to get into a little acoustic playing, some fingerpicking mainly, tried Dear Prudence and Blackbird by the beatles. It's hard! Others have said that they aren't hard songs, but I'm having trouble. I mainly play bass, so I'm used to big honking strings, and these littler ones get on my nerves. Plus my fingers get all itchy. And my left hand is...bleh. Anyone got any tips or advice on getting better at fingerpicking?

well i learnt blackbird after 3 weeks of playing and it was my first ever time finger picking ever....really really easy.... dear prudence given is slightly harder but still easy. Whats your problem exactly? i dont know if it jsut came to me naturally or something but i find it easy.
Quote by Antroid
well i learnt blackbird after 3 weeks of playing and it was my first ever time finger picking ever....really really easy.... dear prudence given is slightly harder but still easy. Whats your problem exactly? i dont know if it jsut came to me naturally or something but i find it easy.

Well, I'm getting better. I was just frustrated at first, but now it's coming along.

Psychodelia - Yeah, I figured that out kind of quick.

Quote by psychodelia
Here are 120 studies. Admittedly they are for classical, but they should still help. Let me know how you do with them.

Not to seem totally noobish, but how does one utilize .ptb files?
Quote by psychodelia
For reading the lessons, you know pmia, right? It is the names for the right hand fingers, p is thumb, i is index, m is middle, a is ring. I don't know why it's pmia, I haven't been able to study classical too much.

p i m a
letters derived from the Spanish names for the fingers of the right hand: pulgar (thumb), indice (index), medio (middle), and anular (ring).

Fingerpicking is hard, but like anything else, the patterns sink in with practice, practice, practice. Many times I have more trouble with my fretting than picking...learning to play well is hard for us all, but worth it, I think!
Last edited by reholli at May 21, 2006,
haha good job by me of putting them in the right order.

Thanks for clarifying my silly error.

And to utilize these files, you use the powertab program. It's free, and can be obtained here: http://www.power-tab.net/
Quote by psychodelia
haha good job by me of putting them in the right order.

Thanks for clarifying my silly error.

And to utilize these files, you use the powertab program. It's free, and can be obtained here: http://www.power-tab.net/

No error...I don't think it matters what order you write them...except that each way specifies a different picking pattern when written for that purpose...I just posted to provide the definitions for the letters for the curious.

Thanks for the link to power-tab!
learn th californication intro, totally easy and tottaly sweet ittl help ya get started