Mk, so.

If i got the high gain tubeset for my xXx from Eurotubes, would i beable to use less amp distortion and more tubedistortion, for better sound at lower volume levels?
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
The high gain tubes are preamp tubes....they only allow for more amp distortion....the tube distortion will remain the same, depending on how much you push the amp.

Hmm..Its a full retube kit so i wasnt sure.

Is there anything tube wise to darken the amp at all?

Or do i need to mod it for that type of change.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
A mod, really. you can't do much to darken your triple xxx up... other than get an EQ.

How would i do this with a EQ?

Raise bass and cut treble/mids?

Also, and good, fairly cheap eqs come to mind?

Id also like to get a new cab, seeings as the XXX one cant handle the power the head puts out..the speakers dont have enough throw or excursion to produce the bass without getting all nasty sounding, would any speakers darken it up?

The gt-75s or whatever they are seem to be a good death metal type speaker, any thoughts?
Okay put it this way

HIgh mids = bright

Low mids = Dark

You boost the low mids while slightly scooping the high mids to get a darker tone.

Now, as far as cabs go.. you could just get a marshall.. They come with gt-12 75s or v30s.. go try em out at your local store.
the GT-75 have a lot of midrange tone. IMO the high end gets a little lost in the mix. But they have a nice lower end that stays in tact pretty well when pushed.

V30s man. Easy to push, great overall sound.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Okay put it this way

HIgh mids = bright

Low mids = Dark

You boost the low mids while slightly scooping the high mids to get a darker tone.

Now, as far as cabs go.. you could just get a marshall.. They come with gt-12 75s or v30s.. go try em out at your local store.

my local music store carries a full line of crates...thats it

As for the EQ, how many band should i get?
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
You should at least get a 10 band EQ, I'm going to get a dual 30 band eq for my amps, though.. \m/ just because I like the flexability

i bought an a 30band EQ and DUDE...its amazing...once you figure out how to work that much range.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
You should at least get a 10 band EQ, I'm going to get a dual 30 band eq for my amps, though.. \m/ just because I like the flexability

what are some good brands to look at?
I'm buying an Alesis two channel 30 band digital EQ- its about $300.

But you can buy the non-digital model for much less, its something like $150?

Either way its only alittle bit more than a stompbox EQ, and since you wont be using it for a boost or anything that should be fine. Its well worth the price, though. They can do wonders to your tone.
how much of a difference in the 30band to the 10band in sound change?

i was looking at the big boss one on musiciansfriend
Well, it just gives you more adjustability. So if you want 3x the bands you can shift, go for it. If not.. you can just use the smaller one.

I'd rather take a 30band because it isnt too much more and you can use it for so many more things
I can make my JCM900 sound like a Mesa stack with some good tweaking. With 30 different frequencies to adjust you can make a good amp sound GREAT. Plus mine has a Gain slider, which if you turn up it raises the gain on my amp a TON...even though that paticular 'gain' means 'volume'...but still.

anyways, like genocide said...if you think you need 30 bands to adjust...go for it.
It's pretty are you the type of kid to sit all the day tinkering with your tone or will you get fed up after 10 minutes. 30 band is for the people who like getting exactly what they want and will spend all day looking for it. 10 band is for the people who just want to get close or cant tell exactly what they want.
Quote by Bulletbass man
It's pretty are you the type of kid to sit all the day tinkering with your tone or will you get fed up after 10 minutes. 30 band is for the people who like getting exactly what they want and will spend all day looking for it. 10 band is for the people who just want to get close or cant tell exactly what they want.

Damnit, looks like i need the 30.
Quote by Bulletbass man

yeah man. On my amp i have all my knobs set at 5/10...which is linear. then I take all the sliders on my EQ and push them all the way down. And one by one raising them to figure out exactly what each frequency sounds like. then i set them all in the middle. and again..one by one raising and lowering each one to get the sound i want.

i litterally just got back inside from doing that lol i spent about half hour tweaking with it. I must say I think I got a sweet tone today.
Quote by TheFluffy
while were talking about stuff like this..whats a sonic maximizer do?

Maximizes Sonic's ability to run through loop-de-loops and collect gold rings. duh.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Maximizes Sonic's ability to run through loop-de-loops and collect gold rings. duh.

I think i just got served.
Quote by TheFluffy
I think i just got served.

a little. that was my way of saying "im looking it up and ill post how it works in a sec"
ok. from what i understand it basically just takes the signal and cleans it up...i guess. brightening, clarifying, and adding fullness to the sound.

and it looks like its not just for guitar but for anything.
As Mascot and a few like to say

The sonic maximizer is a lazy man's EQ. It basically enhances the sound.. It brings out certain frequencies and stuff to make it much fuller.

It isnt only for guitars... My television and my stereo (JVC and AIWA respectavely) both have BBI technology They're also used for alot of live sound and recording applications.

They have a high and a low control, so you can use it per spectrum..

And yes, those are the "good" EQ. Alesis make top quality products. They'll cost at least 150ish new. They're just fairly common for use (once again, not just guitar..) so.. yeah.
yeah I just said that. JK

do you think that kind of stuff can work for home theater system.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
yeah I just said that. JK

do you think that kind of stuff can work for home theater system.

Quote by xxgenocide98xx

It isnt only for guitars... My television and my stereo (JVC and AIWA respectavely) both have BBI technology They're also used for alot of live sound and recording applications.

I do believe he said he uses them for HT.
I'd assume so, since all sorts of venues and stuff use it for their PAs. I know a couple of them were up on ebay that came straight out of a Church, lol.

If you can make it work I'm sure you could try. Although, you don't really need one with a good system, one with an EQ or something (unless you're lazy.
yeah dude. im just into home theater stuff. always thinkin of new ways to make it sound better.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I'd assume so, since all sorts of venues and stuff use it for their PAs. I know a couple of them were up on ebay that came straight out of a Church, lol.

If you can make it work I'm sure you could try. Although, you don't really need one with a good system, one with an EQ or something (unless you're lazy.

well...im lazy :P:

im thinking ima grab one of those EQs..and some new speakers or a new cab..i dunno
Quote by TheFluffy
well...im lazy :P:

im thinking ima grab one of those EQs..and some new speakers or a new cab..i dunno

just get all three!

and if you need money sell your sperm to your local sperm bank!

I get free parking at mine cause Im a registered "regular"!

wait...

Speakers wont really shape your tone like that. They'll change the emphasis(spelling..) but they wont make your gain sound darker...

Personally I'd get a cab with some V30s and an EQ, you'd have a pretty good machine at that point.

A retube kit would be nice, it would help with definition/clarity and any noise issues.

An EQ can shape the tone/style of gain

A booster can give you more cut..

And speakers can change alittle bit of all of them (easier to get breakup/distortion, change the amount of bass/treble they put out at different volumes)

So its really up to you what you want to do.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
just get all three!

and if you need money sell your sperm to your local sperm bank!

I get free parking at mine cause Im a registered "regular"!

wait...

well..i wanna sell my cab..but thats alot of work..so i mite just buy speakers for it

think there would be much of a sound difference between a xxx cab with v30s and a marshall cab with v30s?
Quote by TheFluffy
well..i wanna sell my cab..but thats alot of work..so i mite just buy speakers for it

think there would be much of a sound difference between a xxx cab with v30s and a marshall cab with v30s?

not a lot. shouldnt be enough to really even notice since both cabs are pretty well built. if it was like a cheap ass cab with V30s id still choose a stock Marshall cab or something.

V30s are like 120USD a piece though.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
not a lot. shouldnt be enough to really even notice since both cabs are pretty well built. if it was like a cheap ass cab with V30s id still choose a stock Marshall cab or something.

V30s are like 120USD a piece though.

i can get 4 new ones for 280-310
^ Great. The tube screamers tend to warm up the amp sound a bit .
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
^ Great. The tube screamers tend to warm up the amp sound a bit .

What do you think...V30s for a more Dimmu ish sound?