Yeah, so I've finally gotten around to deciding a first song to learn on bass, after having my mess around with making a few of my own riffs.

And, I've decided on Maxwell Murder by Rancid.

Is this a reasonable first song for bass? Keeping in mind that I've never really felt guitar, and have always felt bass as my true instrument, and finally got one just recently, so I am not a very good guitarist, so I don't have many skills to bring over from that really.

I've got all of the song except for the solo down right. Is this solo going to be impossible to play as a first song? I'm sitting there looking at the tab at the same time I'm playing the song in the background, and when it comes to the solo, my eyes can't even go that fast to make sure that's what's being played.

Any help?

Thank you.
it seems a MUCH too difficult to song to start as your begginer. I've been playing for around a year and struggle with it.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Oh ok, thanks for the replies.

Maybe something longview or mtv get off the air would be better for now.
I actually learnt maxwell murders as my first song, however, it took me 3 months to get the solo right and i didnt learn anything else really.

Rancid are a great band for bass though, try Journey to the end of east bay or Roots Radicals. Both mostly roots but the intro/bridge on journey and chorus line roots are really cool basslines.
Youre joking... 3 months of beginner bass and you nailed Maxwell Murder? Somehow I find that difficult to believe, no offense. It took me about a year and a bit to learn all of Maxwell Murder.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by CoolDudeMorgasm
Youre joking... 3 months of beginner bass and you nailed Maxwell Murder? Somehow I find that difficult to believe, no offense. It took me about a year and a bit to learn all of Maxwell Murder.

i meant i spent all my practice for 3 motnhs constantly playing that song and nothing else.

The fingering of the solo sint hard its just the speed.
Ohhhhhhh, so it wasn't actual beginner bass... I get ya.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
I think I learned it after about 6 months of playing. Trust me, you can do it. All you have to do is slow it down alot and practice like that.