Thats right folks, im planning a 6 string. i have no idea if this is going to happen as of yet, im hoping it will, it just depends on things.

Im guna make the body out of an old piece of funiture that has been lying round at home for ages, so im guna try and cut it up if im allowed...which i will be

So yeah, i got a few ideas but i am looking to expand. and this would be my first build by the way.

Initail ideas:

and thats about it haha, but i need help... on pretty much where to start

any input would be great!

EDIT: im after soemthign really really unique, and thats not, so some quick paint skeches may be in order poeople of UG!
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Last edited by lespaulmarshall at May 19, 2006,
6 String Bass eh? Well, this should be interesting. I'd start by planning, in minute detail. What finish do you want? think about it and research it. Shape? Get a 200 piece pad and sketch LOTS of bodies. Hardware? Electronics? Look at good quality gear in your pricerange. The neck. Will I need a really strong wide neck to hold six strings? This will set you back a fair amount. PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN!

But good luck! I'll be sure to check back on how this beaut is turning out.
hahaha oh my, im already freaking out...

oh and i forgot to mention, the wood...its just treated pine....what are the draw backs goign to be>?
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Id get a good bit of wood... Theres heaps of Australian woods you can use that are relatively cheap and great sounding.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
^ shut the **** up. Lespaul Marshall has a lot more respect than you. Pine is a decent wood. I've seen used in necks but not much as bodys. It's very bright from what i hear. Which is good for slap. I would get something different but if your really tight on cash you can always just do this project just for kicks.
Are you going for clear finish or do you want paint? I'd go for a sharp colour/contrast.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
Quote by Bulletbass man
^ shut the **** up. Lespaul Marshall has a lot more respect than you. Pine is a decent wood. I've seen used in necks but not much as bodys. It's very bright from what i hear. Which is good for slap. I would get something different but if your really tight on cash you can always just do this project just for kicks.

LMFAO I was joking
Not a good way to start in UG, Unforgivable. And ironic your name is that.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
DON'T use pine. It's a soft wood and sure as hell wouldn't have the strength to support the tension of four, let alone six strings. You need to use hard woods. I'd sugest Mahogany, Alder, Rock Maple (for a neck) Light maple (body), Those woods have the strength to support you project. Oh and good luck.

EDIT: On where to stat, the very first thing to decide is what type of neck. Bolt-on, neck thru or set neck. Check out www.projectguitar.com
Last edited by Justin Credible at May 19, 2006,
Quote by IndieLee
Not a good way to start in UG, Unforgivable. And ironic your name is that.

but hes got a nice amp

Good luck, sounds like it will be a beast of a build. If you want metal you could get some crazy pointly design. Or if you want more mellowly maybe a much curvey idea.
hey! 6 stringer eh? i'm very happy with my SR506.
the extra strings are great.

34 or 35" scale? 34 is nice but 35 will give a strong B, but the other strings are very tight...

check the BTB ibanez theres a layer of laminate in it and it looks cool when it contrasts :P so maybe a layer of maple or another light wood to go in the middle of a dark top/back would be really cool!
hey thanks for the comments guys...and about before, i really have no idea about woods, so i was just asking about pine.....

^^and yeah man i know the laminate ont he BTB, cause i got one and love it

i had the raddest dream last night haha, i made the 6 string in like a day haha and it was great. so i now have a shape! i will use photoshop soon to show you guys, its all set out in my head. it will sorta be like one of clay lespools awesome basses with the large crowns.

and i think im going to go all out on this, get better wood, great pups etc. the one thing im doing though is buying the neck, theres no chance in hell i would do that, and if i did, it would be fretless but i nearly got one of those

one this about this project is that i think it is guna take a shiit load of time. i pretty much no time to do anything.

thanks for the feed back people, and maybe some pics of crazy basses might give me a few ideas!

cheers tommy
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
hey guys, no update here because i have been working ont he fretless, but i think i have found a kind of style that i want. all of you know les claypool and his awesome basses (and bass playing) so i thought why not use the style of a Carl Thompson bass. they look great and would be great to own. heres a pic for u's who dont kwno what they look like:

i recon there awesome, tell me what u think.

and i dont know how i would go with building the neck. think i would **** it up shocking, so could i buy a neck and still get the neck thru look?

comments please

EDIT: is that even a neck through?! i cant tell
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
Last edited by lespaulmarshall at May 22, 2006,
what exactly do u mean my wings? have the whole thru neck and then put the sides on?

what do you's think of the shape?
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
its a cool shape, god ugly stripes and the fret board looks as if it would be very hard to make and to play, but a very nice shape and it would look very nice in a lighter colour
yay some one agrees with me yeah im not a fan of the stripes either really. it is called the "rainbow bass" for a reason though haha. i would make one change though, the bottom horn is far too skinny, i would make it wider for the fact that i dont think it is in propartion to the other, and that it might be fragile
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
I love 6 string basses... Even though I reckon they're not the easiest thing to play. But that's just an assumption, since I've played on a 5 string Peavey Cirrus BXP and it was silk to play, even with the wide-ass neck.

Good luck with the project, dude. There should be way more basses being built in UG.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
i will probably go p and j. thats when i come to doing this, i am tryyyyyying to focus on my school atm cuz im doing pretty ****. well not really i just gota study haha so this will be happening after i finish grade 12, which will be at the end of this year.

this project might even turn into something completely crazy, like a 16 string bass
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
Good luck! Also, keep the message i sent to you a little while ago in mind. Be sure to save up some good cash.
Quote by Justin Credible
IS there a Precission pickup out there thats wide enough for sixstring basses?

EMG makes pickups for 6 strings.