Page 1 of 2
Just wondering what strings everyone uses and why do you feel they are better; don't just say "10-54", explain yourself why!

I'm currently using 10-52 but I kind of hate them; I used to play 11-70 for a long time, but wanted a sharper sound on low strings, meh. My current ones feel pretty gimp, but maybe that's just cause it's some crap noname brand.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
i either use diadaro, dean markley or SIT brand 9-42s because i like to do big bends and big vibrato and they make it a lot easier, im thinkin about getting the set that has heavier top 3 strings though to tighten them up a bit for very quick picking
Ernie Ball.. 13's. Why? Cos I'm a lunatic. *nods* I'm using 9's at the moment though. Thought I'd go in t'other direction.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
using 9's on my electric cause they make it easy to do bends and stuff. using 11's on my acoustic.. coz i always have and i like them
D'Addario .009-.042.

I do a lot of bends, hammers, pull-offs, etc., it's just easier to do with lighter strings.
Avast Ye Scurvy Scalawags!

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg SVT/SVT 8x10 Cab
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
Yamaha DD-55 Drum Machine
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
I used to use 9's because they were so easy to bend, but then a friend of mine told me to try out 10's because they sounded better and wouldn't go out of tune as easy. I listened to him and hated him for a week or two because they were just so much tougher to manage than 9's. After I got used to them though, I understand why he told me to try 10's. I went to play a guitar with 9's just recently and it felt like i was fretting hair.

As far as what brand I use, I like GHS boomers, but I'll use whatever I can get my hands on at the moment. Strings are easily enough replaced if I throw on a really crappy set of strings.
Ernie Bal Super Slinky 0.09
Easier to bend, I like the sound, currently I have Fender Super Bullets 0.10 and I hate them. Hard to bend, sounds baaaaaaaad.
strat player forever.
^ Now go to .011's, the process will repeat itself and you'll end up hating .010's.

I use Elixer .011's. I've had the same set for over ten weeks now and they are still silver. They how tune very well, and they still sound decent. (Not completely dead, but getting there.) When I first got the they were too harsh and twangy, after a week they were well broken in and they still sound good. Normally strings last two weeks at the most, it's pretty good I'd say. Oh, and I took them off my gutiar and put them back on, they still stay in tune fine.

I'm going down to Elixer .009's soon, I wanna get into some Satch.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
10-52 super slinkeys! love these strings always have always will.
>>Metal_Fretter<<

My gear:
Ibanez S470
Roland cube 30
Boss PW-10 v-wah
Marshall jackhammer
Quote by ar73m
I'm currently using 10-52 but I kind of hate them; I used to play 11-70 for a long time, but wanted a sharper sound on low strings.

You went the wrong direction.

To get a sharper sound, or more cut, or a tighter tone you need heavier strings.

If you want a mellow, blending tone use light strings.

BTW I use GHS 10's
Not taking any online orders.
i use Dean Markley SkullBuster's; 11 - 52's

I like these cause they sound great with distortion on the low strings. also the high strings are realy light so they make good for light solo's and technical playing.
I think mine are fender 10s, they aren't too heavy but not too light either, i played a gretsch country gentleman the other day in a music shop and the string must have been like, 12s or something, god, i could hardly bend those things!
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
You went the wrong direction.

To get a sharper sound, or more cut, or a tighter tone you need heavier strings.

If you want a mellow, blending tone use light strings.

By sharper I meant like, thinner/higher sound.. which lighter strings kind of achieve (I think, it had almost been a year since I switched, and I changed my guitar at about the same time as I changed strings, so maybe I'm just being retarded)

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Ernie Ball 12s at the moment. I tune to C or B so needed some heavy-ish strings, plus since I play bass primarily when I play guitar I tend to be a bit rough with the strings. I used to use 9s when I started guitar.
Im currently using Ernie ball slinkys (10 - 52 i think). I used to use 9s but i found 10s a hell alot easier to do stuff like trem picking for some reason.
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
I gave up on what string gauge I play. 10's, 9's, 13's, I'll play anything. I'm eternally searching for the perfect string guage.

I always use Ernie Balls though.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
D'addario .013s, in standard tuning. The heavier they are, the better they sound. My fingers need some time to get used to this gauge before I can start getting .014s.
for me its 11, 15, 18, 32, 44, 59 D'Addario's

now i'm gonna go try a new guage, D'Addario's 11 - 15 - 18 - 32 - 44 - 54

both of these for C F A# D# G C
I use Ernie Ball Regular slinkys .10

THough i think im gonna go up higher in gauge, as SRV say they kill you fingers and your tuners, but do the sound good
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by ProjectDark
I use Ernie Ball Regular slinkys .10

THough i think im gonna go up higher in gauge, as SRV say they kill you fingers and your tuners, but do the sound good

SRV meant HIGH gauge, as in .018; .013 was pretty much the lightest he used on number one.
ugh, .18? that sounds insane

I use .10s MIGHT go heavier
I HATE .9s Way too light
in my acoustic i have ummmm medium gauge elixirs whatever gauge that is
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
i started with 9s, but i wanted a heavier sound so i went to 13s, stayed with those for several months, then down to twelves for a bit, then 11s i stuck with the longest. now i've gone down to 10s so i can do more bends and faster playing, on the higher gauges its harder to do things like the second sultans of swing solo and things that fast while fingerpicking.
Quote by mr_hankey
SRV meant HIGH gauge, as in .018; .013 was pretty much the lightest he used on number one.

he used 18s on occasion, 13s was his most common, but a bit before he died he went as low as 11 and 10 a lot.
I will never use 9 again Right now im using ernie ball regular slinky 10 and I love them. once these are done im going to 11's
Hey
i would LIKE to get some heavy high string/ light low string things

like 11's, but with lighter bottom end.

why? because theyve got a fat, meaty, blues tone
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
Using Ernie Ball 9's, but I never change strings unless broken. It's odd, my hands are as dry as sandpaper so don't need to change that much. It's nice to have a flimsy feel after you play bass, you fly on 9's
Yeah SRV used 18's at one point.
I use D'Addario 10's or 11's, because I dont want to turn into a little girl that uses light strings because they're easier.
Im slowly working my way up, I want to be able to play fluently with 13's one day.
Member #1 of the Mars Volta club. Pm happytimeharry to join
Quote by ncsurfer
Yeah SRV used 18's at one point.
I use D'Addario 10's or 11's, because I dont want to turn into a little girl that uses light strings because they're easier.

A lot of frustrated bassists in here that play guitar?

When i play guitar i want it to sound like one.

When i play bass, my lightest string is a 40.
Avast Ye Scurvy Scalawags!

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg SVT/SVT 8x10 Cab
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
Yamaha DD-55 Drum Machine
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
Seems like SRV comes up in every string thread....

I'm not liking the 10's, tone on the high strings is really lacking. 9's are just horrific to me. 11's might do it, might. 9's are too easy to bend for me, just too thin.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
I play 11's but I'll be moving to something lighter as I don't really have that large a scope for bends ( I can bend up 2 frets and that's it - and somehow some people manage 5/6 frets ).
any .11 gauge really. D'addario, gibson, fender, DR, GHS, ernie ball...

i liked D'addario, gibson, and DR the best though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
I play 11's but I'll be moving to something lighter as I don't really have that large a scope for bends ( I can bend up 2 frets and that's it - and somehow some people manage 5/6 frets ).

I can break 10s (not all 6 of them, though) just by bending them (and no, my saddles are not sharp; the strings are just too weak).
I'm using darrio 9.s now but Im probably gonna go to 10.s later on.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
D'Addario 10's. They get the job done..easy to bend, easy to do hammer ons/pull offs. I use .12's on my acoustic. Mainly for better tone with it.

I may try some Ernie Ball Slinkies on my next string change. I have to find out why some people love them so much!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
elixir 10-46, came with my guitar and liked em so i kept buying them. great feel for me
Ernie Ball Extra Slinky
the lightest you can get them
8, 11, 14, 22, 30, 38

You can bend the **** out of them you can bend your low E all the way down to your D string.
Quote by uterus
so he can purify his air, asshole.

My Rig:
Customized Squire Strat
Vox Valvetronix 100VT
Boss MT2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby
Ernie Ball strings
Page 1 of 2