Why does an amp head unit generally cost about the same as the same wattage combo unit? If the combo is basically a head unit with speakers, shouldn't there be a significant price difference? Example: I've been wanting a rectoverb Mesa amp - they are both about $1400 - I just would have thought the combo would be like another $500 or so...
Generally a head will cost just a bit less than it's equivalent combo version. I agree that it should cost significantly less, since you have less materials (wood in the cabinet) and no speaker. For example, the local shop where I bought my Genz Benz El Diablo combo for $1400 Cdn sell the head version for $1199 Not a huge difference in price from the combo. And that's the biggest 'gap' I've seen. Last time I was in Ottawa at Steve's Music checking out their Mesa Boogies, I also noticed that the head and combo version of particulr amps are almost identically priced.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at May 19, 2006,
its really weird...for instance a jcm800 head will run you more then a combo with the exact same head that can do exactly what the stand alone head will do.

not sure why that is. on ebay a jcm800 combo will run you 700-850 dollars while a head will go for 800-100 dollars..and thats without a cab.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
This is why its important to see if the head you want is offered in a 2x12 combo with extension jacks for the same price. :]
That's why I like combos. I can have an easily transportable (my old 5150 combo was a definite exception though lol), self contained unit that I can play on its own. If I need that extra sonic mass, then I can just jack it into a cab.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor