for those of you out there with a 4104/2203/2204 model with the mid, bass, treble, preamp, presense, and master volume knobs.

the main thing i'm wondering about is what i should put the preamp volume at in relation to the master. do you crank the preamp then work the master up...do you keep them even? any explantion would be great.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
well first off what kind of tone do you want
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
for distortion/high sensitivity I will keep the pre-amp between 75-100% and mess with the master volume for desired level.

for clean/low sensitivity I'll keep the pre-amp between 25-50% and mess with the master volume for desired level.

I'll slightly scoop my mids...i forget my exact setting right now off-hand. and i'll keep my presence really low, between 0-1.

IMO the worst thing you can do is stick to one EQ setting......if you really like one, right it down, but see what other things your amp can do
Last edited by Gutch220 at May 19, 2006,
Quote by Syn Harvest
well first off what kind of tone do you want

well a jcm800 doesn't really offer more then one tone

thanks gutch...knew i could count on you to fill me in. i've been getting great cleans so far but haven't been able to experiment at higher volumes because i'm still living with my cousin since the hurricane (i'm from beaumont texas, where rita hit..get my apartment back next week finally) so i thought i'd just thought i'd ask what i should do to get that slashy marshall tone out of it.

hopefully they leave tommorro for the day to do something and i can crank this thing and see what it can do. i was just mainly unsure of what the preamp volume effected.

btw is it normal for the amp to be really loud as in humming when the volumes are turned up? it doesn't really hum but you know what i mean...like when you gain any amp up...but this one does it no matter what volume you have on unless i'm on low sensitivy input. it may need new tubes but i'm not sure...when i use high sensitivty and set the volume on 1-2...the volume dies in and out. could be the tubes weren't hot enough before i started playing...not sure.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Last edited by bonchie1 at May 19, 2006,
Quote by Gutch220
when you turn it up really loud, having a hiss is normal

yeah i know...but i was wondering if the hiss is normal at such low volumes as i had it...but of course i only get it when i'm plugged into the high sensitivty so i'm sure all that extra gain is whats causing it.

what do you think about the volume fluctuation on the high input? think i just don't have it up loud enough to keep the tubes consitent?
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I've never had any problems with volume fluctuation or hissing as low levels. check your cables. bad cables can cut in and out and add extra hiss.
Crank everything to ten and rip the knobs off. Just leave yourself the Master volume, the neighbors will appreciate it,lol.
Rockybo on Gwar: "What costumes? They're from fucking outer-space, you retard."
I used to have the old JCM 800 2 x 12 2-channel combo. IMO, it always sounded best with the preamp gain and volume dimed. As for EQ, that's really dependent on the guitar.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
when i plug into the high input the volume goes in and out and it hisses super loud. even at 1 on the master.

i think i've read enough to come to the conclusion that this is the preamp tubes as the clean channel works great with no hiss or fluctuation. would you agree?

anyone know which preamp tube goes to the high input on a 4104 model? i'm gonna go ahead and replace them all but i wanted to switch the low and high preamp tube in the meantime so i could really try the marshall distortion out.

also recommend me some good preamps tubes to replace them with.

i looked at the poweramp tubes and they look brand new with no spotting or anything. so i think they are still good. especially since they power the low input just fine.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^ i'd get them all replaced. if anything, volume cutting in and out is almost always the power amp (if it is a tube problem). i'd go for...

12ax7's in the pre-amp
and el 34's in the power.

JJ is an awesome moderatly priced tube company that you should think about getting them from.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
^ i'd get them all replaced. if anything, volume cutting in and out is almost always the power amp (if it is a tube problem). i'd go for...

12ax7's in the pre-amp
and el 34's in the power.

JJ is an awesome moderatly priced tube company that you should think about getting them from.

it can't be the powertubes if the low channel is fine since they share the same powertubes. why i said it has to be the preamp tubes.

but yeah i want to replace them all but i dont really have the cash to justify another 100 bucks to get them all changed. the preamps i can get for 25 bucks and replace myself if you get what i'm saying.

anyone else think my problems are the preamp tubes or do you agree its the powertubes? i'm really just looking for a temp fix til i can get the poweramp tubes replaced to. so would replacing the preamps fix the problem i'm having?
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^ that's why it seemed odd to me. usually volume fadding in and out is the power amp, but it's only affecting the high sensitivity.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
^ that's why it seemed odd to me. usually volume fadding in and out is the power amp, but it's only affecting the high sensitivity.

yeah...some store selling on ebay had a description in one of there product sections of what happens when preamp and powertubes go out and if you need to replace them...for preamp tubes they said the amp crackles in and out and you get a loud hiss coming out. both things my amp is doing on the high input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7416263386&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

this is where i got the idea its my preamp tubes. scroll down in the description and check it out.

so anyway are the 3 preamp tubes in a single channel jcm800 dependent on one another or does one run the different inputs and 1 run the master volume etc.?
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^ just make sure you get a balanced pre-amp tube for the phase-inverter position (last pre-amp tube before power tubes). You can change the pre-amp tubes first to see if that helps, if not, then just get new power tubes put in as soon as you can. Waiting a couple weeks to get new power tubes won't hurt anything. You also might want to look at your electrolytic capacitors and see if you can see any type of gel leaking out or cracks on the outside. Its also possible that the internal layers or your caps are damaged and you won't be able to see it. Just talk to an amp tec about this when you get your power tubes changed. Also, screen grid resistors are another thing you want to look at.
Quote by Gutch220
^ just make sure you get a balanced pre-amp tube for the phase-inverter position (last pre-amp tube before power tubes). You can change the pre-amp tubes first to see if that helps, if not, then just get new power tubes put in as soon as you can. Waiting a couple weeks to get new power tubes won't hurt anything. You also might want to look at your electrolytic capacitors and see if you can see any type of gel leaking out or cracks on the outside. Its also possible that the internal layers or your caps are damaged and you won't be able to see it. Just talk to an amp tec about this when you get your power tubes changed. Also, screen grid resistors are another thing you want to look at.

by balanced you mean buy 3 matched 12AX7's?
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
if you go to tubestore.com they have an option for "matched & balanced"...this is what you want.