but it says it has groove tubes in it, arent those good? What I am mostly asking is if it is quality tube amp that can match up to a fender hot rod. And if not, then why not?
Last edited by Johnny83191 at May 20, 2006,
Give it a shot, regardless what people say. I've been playing Carvin amps for a while, the X100B and MTS 3200. If I listened to some members on this board, I would have been lead to believe that the Carvins and every other brand are horrible and to ge a Mesa or Marshall JCM 800 or 2000.
My MTS 3200 plays just as hot if not hotter than Marshalls. Its fitted with JJ ECC83S' in the preamp and JJ E34L's in the poweramp and let me tell you...WOW.
Not that Marshalls are bad, hell they are played the world over and I've owned several over the years, there are other options though.
E
where do you buy carvins? can't find any online stores, and carvin's website doesn't list regular stores like guitar center. i liked very much what i read about the mts3500. unfortunately, the price on their website is about $150 over the price i'm willing to spend. i suppose that limits my choices, huh?

but for the love of all things holy... that is one BOOOORRRRRING-looking amp head
Last edited by sethp at May 22, 2006,
Quote by sethp
where do you buy carvins? can't find any online stores, and carvin's website doesn't list regular stores like guitar center. i liked very much what i read about the mts3500. unfortunately, the price on their website is about $150 over the price i'm willing to spend. i suppose that limits my choices, huh?

but for the love of all things holy... that is one BOOOORRRRRING-looking amp head

Carvin direct is where you can buy them new, but I usually get my gear on ebay.
What do you mean boring? Not exciting to look at?
When you hear it scream, you wont care what it looks like.
Is a Marshall sexy to look at?
boring-looking ESPECIALLY if its a metal amp. talk about a genre that relies almost as much on stage style as musical style. i mean grey vinly? and that carvin name plate? c'mon. that may be ok for jackson browne, but malevolent creation? you gotta be kidding. where's the black metal grating? the spikey, jagged stylized carvin logo... well, with a name like carvin, that would look preposterous

please, this is all in jest. do not take me too seriously.
Quote by sethp
boring-looking ESPECIALLY if its a metal amp. talk about a genre that relies almost as much on stage style as musical style. i mean grey vinly? and that carvin name plate? c'mon. that may be ok for jackson browne, but malevolent creation? you gotta be kidding. where's the black metal grating? the spikey, jagged stylized carvin logo... well, with a name like carvin, that would look preposterous

please, this is all in jest. do not take me too seriously.

But who said anything about the MTS3200 being a metal amp? That would be the V3 if anything.
Good hard rock amp that can touch on metal and anything in between, not to mention a great buy.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
I got to give it a try on a trip to San Diego.....

Is had a nice vintage/mid gain tone.....nice cleans too.

A retube with better tubes would do the amp wonders.

For the price, it's a nice amp!

Since then, Carvins been loading all their tube amps with Groove Tubes.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
The Carvin website is a pretty good place to buy direct. The listings on ebay can be few and far between.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I think I will go for it, but it said on a review that it was fake tweed. Do you think this is true?
I personally didn't like it when I heard it either.. but I only heard it for a limited time.. Uh.. this isn't the tri/pentode amp they have is it? I didn't really like the tone from what I remember.. and I wouldn't buy it if I were playing metally stuff.. but I'm sure you've already taken music genres into consideration.

Uh.. and Carvin is it's own company.. you aren't going to find Carvin gear at Sam Ashes or Guitar Centers (unless maybe someone sold something to GC). Most (if not all) of their stores are in California I think, and their factory is in San Diego. Also, their prices go pretty cheap for the quality you're getting.. and if they were retailed at GC's I think the prices would be a bit more than direct.
Quote by Mascot
Calm down.

I'm not saying it again.