I'd like to play a gib on the "day of music" but I've only got a 10 Watts peavey. Needless to say that won't be enough.
If I can afford it (which I doubt) I'd like to get a Harkte A35. Seems like a pretty decent amp. Is that powerfull enough for playing small gigs, like in "ball"rooms and outside?

<http://www.michenaud.com/page/produit/fiche/AHAA35.php> this is it if you're interested.

I really want to be sure ppl will be able to hear the basslines. If I only played rootnotes there would be no problem but I loath things with more than 4 times the same note in a row.

Cheers.
Quote by EirikFtw
You have achieved what I thought impossible, you are my new god

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Founder of the "Marmite: We love it!" Union
translator/ radio-operator of the bass militia
No way will that be enough. You'll want 100 watts or more just to compete with a drummer. Add in guitarist(s) and vocals, and 35 watts of bass amp disappears under a wash of distortion, bangs anc crashes.

How big an amp will your guitarist be using?
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Hmm
The thing is that the drummer's quality but keeps the noise down and the guitarist wil have 50-60W max, depends who comes. May only have 30.
Quote by EirikFtw

Right. Looks like I won't be doing any concerts at least till next year.

Thanks
Quote by EirikFtw

Hey man, actually you don't need the rediculous amount of wattage everyone here is saying. When I play bass for one of my bands, I only use a 65 Watt Behringer and damn does it sound smooth. I play with a drummer that beats the hell outta his kit too, so it's only really nescessary to have about 65 watts. But I've read somewhere that Behringer amps are louder...may be a myth, not sure. (But I do know that they're cheaper, and get good sound for the money.)
What is the point of a signature, anyway?
Quote by DownForLife97
Hey man, actually you don't need the rediculous amount of wattage everyone here is saying. When I play bass for one of my bands, I only use a 65 Watt Behringer and damn does it sound smooth. I play with a drummer that beats the hell outta his kit too, so it's only really nescessary to have about 65 watts. But I've read somewhere that Behringer amps are louder...may be a myth, not sure. (But I do know that they're cheaper, and get good sound for the money.)

Your drummer is definately not beating the hell out of his kit.

Don't know who or what told you that, but Behringer amps are QUIETER.
And 65 watts is not enough. My 125 watter is barely enough.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
For Bass Guitar get as many watts as you can afford.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
But that's the trouble. I may not even be able to afford 35W.
Quote by EirikFtw

Quote by Limey
But that's the trouble. I may not even be able to afford 35W.

Then you'd better hope your band gets a decent PA system to DI into because 35 watts is nowhere near enough to gig with.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
will there be other bands playing at the concert?...I played a gig this past friday and the bassist of the last band to play (which had supplied the PA system, the mics, the guitar and bass half stacks) let me use his rig when I played...He was really nice about it too...cool guy...anyways, it was a Behringer 450 (or was it 4500?) head, with a Behringer 12" cab and a Carvin 15", it was also rigged to the PA system which had 2 18" sub woofers on either side of the stage so I had plenty of power to say the least ....

So what I mean to say is, try to find out if any other bands are playing and try to check with them prior to the show and ask if you can use some of their equipment...If they're nice they'll probably let you use their stuff free of charge...If not, then toss some money their way and offer to rent it or something...If not then you need to save up for at least a 100W amp (I have a 120W SWR, its barely sufficient for small gigs...I played my first gig with it, there was a little less than 100 people at the place so it was a pretty small gig, but the amp handled well)
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at May 21, 2006,
i used a 60 watt fender rumble i borrowed for a pub around here, the guitarist was useing an old 50 watt marshall, heh the drums werent THAT overpowered
ok lets not go to extremes guys

yes 35 is too little

no he doesnt need 300 for a gig where the max the guitarist is gonna have is 60W

If you get a 100W 1x15, it should be more than enuff if you're playing small shows and ur guitarist has 60W.

hell my ampeg (tho i dont like the tone) runs me and my drummer through it at the same time, and we only go to about 60-70% of the full volume, and this is when we're playing a lot louder than usual.
ooh yeah, get a 20,000 watt amp, at the least. You need like 10to the 4th power x whatever the guitarist has

I'm sure the guy needs a massive, $4,000 dollar tube amp. You all sound retarded.
And just so you know, outside sucks all your volume, so try and play inside.
I have a 200 watt yorkville and it works fine with the drummer going all out and a 200 watt guitar amp. I would save for one.
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
I'm gonna say at LEAST 65 watts. I've done okay with an 80 watt at small, small gigs. Our guitarist uses a 50 watt for the small stuff so I can keep up with him pretty well.
The fact of the matter is, 35 is too small, I'd say atleast a 100...

And when you can BARELY offord the 35, all that needs to be said is, find a way to get a bigger one.
if ur on a budget, consider the behringer bx1200, its the most affordable decent 100 watt amp out there, and should work okay for small gigs.

the actual rule of thumb is 3-4 times the guitarist wattage, cause bass is simply harder to hear and u need a lot more head room

@the guy who says 65watt is enough and we're all idiots, consider where he was jamming, the acoustics of the room (size and shape), the volume of the guitarists, the amount of background noise, and how much he had to crank his amp. chances are, he was in his basement with little or no background noise and drummer going easy.

u want a little extra wattage so you're not maxing out ur amp and putting a lot of strain on it and getting a load of nasty fuzz.

get the behringer bx1200. its still a good amp, especially for ppl who can't blow big bucks on an ampeg.
if you're being pa'd, a 35 could work, but otherwise, you'll need at least 100-120
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
Quote by tom-nofx
what watt for band practices

You should use the same gear for rehearsal as you gig with, in all my years of playing I've always rehearsed the way we intend to play.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I did my first gigs with a 25w fender frontman bassamp. Bass was miced and sounded like crap. First of all, the little amp was maxed and sounded really bad (no headroom left). Another big reason whas that the PA-guy turned on the wrong mic .

That been said: get as much as possible. That doesn't mean you should go ahead and buy a 35w amp. Get at least 150w. Why? Headroom is the key. Yes, you will probably only use 100w of the amp's power most of the time, but picture this: a small car with a top speed of 160km/h racing against a sportscar witch tops out at 250km/h. The small car can win from the sportscar, but it will be pushed to its max. limits while the sportscar will still be cruising nice and easy to keep up with it.
Same with the amp. When pushed to it's maximum, the sound will start to distort (wich is bad for the speakers and may ruin your amp). So the more power you have left to spare, the better and cleaner your sound will be.

And this brings me to the dilemma of every bassplayer:
When you're young, you play bars and pubs. So you NEED a large amp. But you can't afford it yet.
Then you get more experience and more money and you buy a larger amp. You still need it from time to time, but most of your gigs you have your bass DIed and your amp miced. Then the SE tells you to turn it down a bit.
Once you get fameous, you DON'T NEED a large amp, everything is DIed and miced. So you get yourself a nice little combo that doesn't break your (or your roadies) back that gives you a really nice sound. Unless you want to show off, you get a big rigg.
And then you become a superstar and you get an endorsement from an amp company. You are 'given' the amps that are way more than you need. But then you have roadies who break their back for you.

So when you're young, you need it but you can't get it.
When you're fameous you don't need it, and you get it for free...

Oh, one last thing. Save up for something nice. Don't get that 35w combo just because you need it. A year later you will get bigger gigs (at least I hope so) and you will need a bigger amp (again). The resell value will be almost nothing, so you will have lost some money wich could have been used to buy an even nicer amp. I hope you get my point on this? Or do I need to pull out those cars again
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
100watt AT LEAST. get as loud as you can. you dont want to push an amp too hard. I recremmend behringer because they have good loud amps for cheap. like $280-$320 for a 120watt amp.
Quote by Baby Duck
100watt AT LEAST. get as loud as you can. you dont want to push an amp too hard. I recremmend behringer because they have good loud amps for cheap. like $280-$320 for a 120watt amp.

but behringer has been known to have 80% lemons.

i would only buy if you find a used one that works, becuz chances are, if its been working for 1-2 years (or w.e amount of time), its NOT a lemon.

even then take into account that 2 amps with 100W arent the same volume, and behringer's been said to have the "quieter watts", as in their 120W is only as loud as an avg 80-100W amp.
I use a 300w ashdown...but before I had that I used a lil laney 15w, with that I was louder than drums, and 2x65w guitar amps. Not entirely sure how...but anyways, I'd recommend borrowing or renting something a bit bigger, just so you don't loose too much tone by turning up to max.
Quote by opivy21
I hate feet. I don't even like the word toe. They're like mutated reject hands.

Quote by primusfan
Soak your testicles in battery acid. Works for some people.
Quote by bassninja
I use a 300w ashdown...but before I had that I used a lil laney 15w, with that I was louder than drums, and 2x65w guitar amps. Not entirely sure how...but anyways, I'd recommend borrowing or renting something a bit bigger, just so you don't loose too much tone by turning up to max.
Unless your drummer was using cotton wool sticks and your guitarists amps were turned off you'r talking silly, either that or you've discovered every bassists dream, but then why did you move up to a 300 watt Ashdown if your Lil Laney 15w was that loud?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I have a 35w Ibanez amp, good for small practices and playing at home (with my MP3 player plugged into it as well to play along to songs). If I crank it right up and put on the 10Db gain, it can barely be heard over a drummer going hard.