which one would be better? i play hardcore/metal/clean stuff occasionly i need to know why which one for what reasons ive played 5150 at low volume and it sounded great and a tripple xxx super 40 at low volume and sounded great too so please help me out
i would say the 6505 if you want cleans. look at carvin v3 and peavey jsx amps even better.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
6505 has like the worst cleans ever, its all gain. So if you want more Versility get the XXX if you want just monster gain 6505.
Quote by stratster23
6505 has like the worst cleans ever, its all gain. So if you want more Versility get the XXX if you want just monster gain 6505.

You know nothing. Go sit in a corner.
Actually I play on a 6505 Plus about every weekend so therefore I do and I will go sit in the corner and jerk off thats a good idea.
Quote by stratster23
Actually I play on a 6505 Plus about every weekend so therefore I do and I will go sit in the corner and jerk off thats a good idea.

well, geno happens to own a 5150, so... yeah
XXX is more versitle yes, but the cleans on the 5150 are not that bad dood...

if you like tones like listen to "like light to flies" by trivium...thats the XXX

5150=killswitch engage
Quote by stratster23

yes, please...go sit in a corner like you were told.

you are a very close minded person too.

The cleans, although not the BEST ever, are still pretty killer.

And I half own a 6505.
Well if you want the High gain from the 6505, but still want good cleans, than get the 6505+. I myself chose the 5150II/6505+ over the XXX. I like the darker tone, much better for metal IMO.
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Ernie Ball's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Strings
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
ya 5150 II or 6505+ cleans arent amazing but if you add a good chorus pedal they become amazing

oh and to The Fluffy Trvium use 5150s when recording so no its not the XXX and Killswitch use Framus CObras i believe may be dragons but i know its a framus
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
yay, time to unleash my new-found knowledge of the KsE rigs...

for recording the album "the end of heartache."

both guitarests used the same rig, 2 different rigs.

rig 1: maxon OD9 -> framus dragon, mids cranked
rig 2: maxon OD9 -> peavey 6505, mids scooped.

so that should clear that up.
i happen to own an XXX so i may be able to shed some light on it. the XXX is mostly bright, but depending on how you set the volumes, it can sound darker. (channel volume higher than master = dark, master higher than channel = brighter)

but it's still pretty bright even when you have it set dark. it's very thrashy and as a lot of attack and cut. while the 6505 is alot smoother and chunkier sounding.

choose wisely...
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
And Derek Reigns Supreme with his awesome amp knowledge

lol

Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join

possibly sigged...
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

You gotta remember the XXX has Damping though Tight, mid, and loose I don't have to much experience with the Damping however doesnt Tight give it more Bass and loose make it brighter?
tight kinda squeezes everything together. i don't like it that much. it makes it sound really mush.

loose lets the amp "breathe" more. opens everthing up. the bottom end thumps more, the treble cuts better, and the mid fills in everything in between.

on tight it roungs out the treble, doesn't really let it cut, the mid takes up more room, and the bass kinda bleeds into everything else.

what it sounds like to me anyway.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Syn Harvest
ya 5150 II or 6505+ cleans arent amazing but if you add a good chorus pedal they become amazing

oh and to The Fluffy Trvium use 5150s when recording so no its not the XXX and Killswitch use Framus CObras i believe may be dragons but i know its a framus

Well, derek already said that KsE uses 6505s...

And watch the LLTF video..u can see the XXXs...

IT IS A FACT THAT THEY USED THAT AMP ON THAT SONG.
and note that both KsE guitarests recorded 2 tracks apeice. one with each rig. so in total there's 4 rhythm tracks on each song. leads used the same righ, but not always both.

so remember kids, KsE tone = combination between two framus dragons with boosted mids and a maxon od9 + two 6505's plus maxon OD9 and a scoop in the mids.

and fluff: guys don't always use the stuff that they used for the song in the vid. i know the guy from stained uses vh4's but has a marshall DSL in the lattest vid.

point = vids arent always accurate.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
and note that both KsE guitarests recorded 2 tracks apeice. one with each rig. so in total there's 4 rhythm tracks on each song. leads used the same righ, but not always both.

so remember kids, KsE tone = combination between two framus dragons with boosted mids and a maxon od9 + two 6505's plus maxon OD9 and a scoop in the mids.

and fluff: guys don't always use the stuff that they used for the song in the vid. i know the guy from stained uses vh4's but has a marshall DSL in the lattest vid.

point = vids arent always accurate.

Listen to the tone dood.

I talk to Paolos girlfrind on myspace sometimes...ill have her ask him
Quote by gpderek09
tight kinda squeezes everything together. i don't like it that much. it makes it sound really mush.

loose lets the amp "breathe" more. opens everthing up. the bottom end thumps more, the treble cuts better, and the mid fills in everything in between.

on tight it roungs out the treble, doesn't really let it cut, the mid takes up more room, and the bass kinda bleeds into everything else.

what it sounds like to me anyway.

Trust this man, he shed the light of the XXX on me, now I'm playing it and throwing out some of the sweetest riffs I've played yet . Now for some BK's and a Maxon OD9 .
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Quote by stratster23

Uh-huh well I've owned a 5150 for about a year or a year and a half now.. I'm pretty sure that it does a clean tone just as good if not better than my mesa/boogie single rectifier.

have fun beating your meat
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Uh-huh well I've owned a 5150 for about a year or a year and a half now.. I'm pretty sure that it does a clean tone just as good if not better than my mesa/boogie single rectifier.

have fun beating your meat

oh snap. lol

Oh and the 6505+/5150II...the extra tube just gives it more headroom on the clean channel...it doesnt make the cleans "better sounding"...IMO.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
oh snap. lol

Oh and the 6505+/5150II...the extra tube just gives it more headroom on the clean channel...it doesnt make the cleans "better sounding"...IMO.

an extra preamp tube does that? i always thought that more preamps = more gain stages

but i guess the II/+ does have less gain then the orig...weird
Quote by TheFluffy
an extra preamp tube does that? i always thought that more preamps = more gain stages

but i guess the II/+ does have less gain then the orig...weird

yeah. Some say theres less gain in the II/+ then the originals...but its an amp that has so much gain you cant really even tell or notice it. But yeah, the I read the 'more headroom' thing out of a Peavey magazine.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
yeah. Some say theres less gain in the II/+ then the originals...but its an amp that has so much gain you cant really even tell or notice it. But yeah, the I read the 'more headroom' thing out of a Peavey magazine.

hmm...i read that my Redline BMX frame will never bend, and it wasnt true...

but maybe it is...i dont know how that would work...maybe it takes more power to overdrive more preamps?
Well see, it doesn't give you more headroom on the crunch. It gives you more gain.

If you've played a regular 5150 you'd notice that the crunch channel doesn't have near as much gain as the lead. Usually if I'm running Rhythm/Lead I keep my Rhythm gain around 3:00 and my Lead gain around 12:00

Thats teh secret Don't forget that 5150s don't have a clean channel. Just a Rhythm and Lead
Quote by Jarrott
Trust this man, he shed the light of the XXX on me, now I'm playing it and throwing out some of the sweetest riffs I've played yet . Now for some BK's and a Maxon OD9 .

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

i happen to own the 6505 myself it is one sick head deffinatly the coice for hardcore over the XXX the cleans are ok but better with a chorus pedal but if its a good dark meatl/hardcore tone ur looking for deffinatly go with the 6505
Gibson Les Paul Standard
1962 Malcolm Young Gretsch
Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo Head
Mesa Dual Rectifier 4x12 Slant Cabinet
Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q wah
Quote by metalhead88
i happen to own the 6505 myself it is one sick head deffinatly the coice for hardcore over the XXX the cleans are ok but better with a chorus pedal but if
its a good dark meatl/hardcore tone ur looking for deffinatly go with the 6505
Hey theres this thing you learn about in english class...its called the "period". And there just so happens to be one on a keyboard.

[edit] you also learn about the "period" in health class. But those are two COMPLETELY different things.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Hey theres this thing you learn about in english class...its called the "period". And there just so happens to be one on a keyboard.

[edit] you also learn about the "period" in health class. But those are two COMPLETELY different things.

i think thats the second "serving" ive seen you give tonight
Quote by TheFluffy

im on a roll i guess. but its like..cant you just put a simple " . " in there every now and then!?
Quote by TheFluffy

You know, I rode redlines from 10-16 and I never once had an issue with my frame just fyi.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
You know, I rode redlines from 10-16 and I never once had an issue with my frame just fyi.

x=a billion.

sry Fluffy.

k. im done spamming.