Ok, I know you all are probably tired of people asking about amps, but here is another. What do you think of the Peavey JSX? I am gettin a new tube amp, and at first I was thinking the 6505, but then I read the noise gate thats in the JSX and heard it makes a big difference. Will the JSX give me a good metal sound such as Metallica? And do you all think the JSX is worth the extra 200 bucks instead of the 6505. I heard you can really dile in your sound with the JSX EQ settings. any comments will be appreciated, especially if you own the JSX or played it, i would appreciate comments thanks alot

Also does it come with a footswitch? I am sure it does as most amps do, but I noticed on Musicians friend and such they dont say footswitch included but I am sure it is. thanks
~Metal Up Your @$$~ \m/
you may have to buy the footswitch sepepately. look at carvin v3 amps as well. very similar and then you can pick for yourself.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by JorisBlack
^exactly my thoughts

but i'm not sure you can get a metal tone out of it...

I think one of the guys in Arch Enemy used one, so it'll do that too.
I have the 212 version of the amp. It came with a footswitech. I bought an eq pedal for it so redefine the ultra channel into two tones: solo and rythm. I don't use the crunch channel too much because I play mostly metal. The clean is really nice on the amp.
Current Rig
Guitar: Jackson DK-1
Amp: Peavey JSX 212
Effects: Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah, ISP Decimator,
MXR 10 Band EQ
^ +!. i love my 212 jsx combo. The crunch channel can get a JCM 800 viced sound with a Tube screamer. Its easy enough to get the tones you want, great cleans.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I haven't been able to play it myself but I've heard people saying it's basicly a 5150 with a good clean channel
</IMO>
^erm....not really. its like a Modded XXX with better cleans and a bit more natural darker tone.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I just recently played one side by side with a new 6505. I have a 5150 II and was very disgusted with the crap quality of the 6505, very hissy and and not a good tone at all compared to my 5150 II. The JSX just shined when i played it. I was using my Caparison with a JB in the bridge and despite the lack of high output from the pickup, the ultra channel did get a nice metal tone, nice tight rhythm for some good palm muting and the leads were just so juicy and incredible. Im sure you can get a great metal tone if you put a tube screamer in front of it. The crunch channel nails a marshall tone dead on and is actually a Classic 50 with some Satch EQ mods. The clean channel is just very wonderful. James Brown at Peavey copied one of Satch's Marshalls for the clean channel and the oddly enough that marshall was based on a fender design, or something like that, read it on the peavey site somewhere. Just go play it for yourself, very nice amp, im gonna try and find a cheap one around my area.
Caparison Dellinger-CA
MIJ Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jackson Custom Kelly
Epiphone Gothic Explorer

Cry Baby 535Q
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Digitech delay
Ibanez TS-9
BBE Sonic Stomp
NS-2 Noise Gate

Peavey 5150II
Marshall 1960AV cab
Last edited by Mdragoon at Aug 12, 2006,
Its bloody good!

Id go over a 5150 or 6505+ (yes i know how the models work) first though.
I bought my JSX with a Marshall 1960A cab about a month ago so ill lay out some feedback for you,

1. I f^&kin love this amp! I tried out every amp i could get my hands on (Marshalls, ENGLs, 6505, Mesa Stiletto and more) and for what i was looking for (the best metal tone i could find and a really nice clean channel in the same amp), the JSX just killed everything in these terms.

2. The amp i originally had my eye on was a 6505 but i much preferred the JSX for the following reasons, the 6505 doesn't have a master volume - it only has pre- and post-gain so you can only get the real 6505 tone if you turn it up loud, and i mean LOUD!!! At any volume for which you don't desperately need to wear earplugs you can tell the 6505 sounds gutless, and is just begging to be cranked to let the beast shine (and boy does it shine when you get it going!) The JSX on the other hand sounds awesome at lower volumes and then just gets better when you crank it up! Also the clean channel sounds incredible at high volumes which i wasn't really expecting but now im really enjoying!

3. Im still not sure if this is a problem with my particular amp or a more general one, but the noise gate on my JSX does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I have tried playing around with the gain, volume and other knobs but i can stand there with major feedback and turn the noise gate from 0 to 10 and it doesn't change the sound coming out of my amp in any way! Thought you might be interested to know this as you were drawn to the JSX by the noise gate.

4. The other thing that really sold me on the JSX over any other amp was the clean channel. It is incredible! It sings and chirps at any volume and just has a beautiful tone to it!! Even when you crank it up it keeps the same beautiful tone!

In short I took my time when i was looking for a new amp and spent about a month going to every music store around and playing all the amps i could find that were supposedly great for metal tone. The second i plugged into the JSX and played the first power chord it was a whole nother level above any other amp i had tested. Best metal tone i could find, best clean tone i found in an amp with a killer metal tone, features and versatility to boot, the clean channel and effects loop are designed to be killer with fx pedals, the amp looks killer, and the price is just crazy for an amp this good!

Definately go and play the amp before you buy any amp and im willing to bet that you will not find anything better for a comparable price!!
Dean 255 Razorback Silver/Black Two-Tone - unbelievable!
ESP Viper-400
Fender DG-4CE Black Electric Acoustic
Peavey JSX Head - awesome!
Marshall 1960A 4x12" cab
Marshall MG30DFX - terrible but was my first amp...
^Now that's the way a guitar player is supposed to review an amp.
Quote by uldhppi
^Now that's the way a guitar player is supposed to review an amp.

Cheers
ESP Viper-400
Marshall 1960A 4x12" cab
It's a bit too expensive for me, I bought a used on for $1000, but I remember when they cost $1100 for the head new, and $1300 for the combo. For the price now, for $400 more, you can score a mark IV, infinitely more versatile.

It's a quiet 120 watt amp, but it's fine with me. I do believe the ultra channel has active EQ, and thats pretty useful, slightly more control than the other channels.

Most peavey amps don't come with a footswitch, but I guess this is one of the exceptions. It sounds very nice with el34's.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
It's a bit too expensive for me, I bought a used on for $1000, but I remember when they cost $1100 for the head new, and $1300 for the combo. For the price now, for $400 more, you can score a mark IV, infinitely more versatile.

It's a quiet 120 watt amp, but it's fine with me. I do believe the ultra channel has active EQ, and thats pretty useful, slightly more control than the other channels.

Most peavey amps don't come with a footswitch, but I guess this is one of the exceptions. It sounds very nice with el34's.

Im in Australia and I bought the cab with it and my friend bought a JSX head with me so we got an incredible deal on the whole lot!

The Ultra and Crunch channels both have Bass, Mid and Treble active EQs while the clean has the same three EQs but they are passive. There are also individual gain and volume controls and a "fat" switch (which fattens the attack ) for each channel as well as a master volume and "presence" and "resonance" which boost the highs and lows respectively across all the channels. You can dial in a lot of different tones by playing with all the knobs

I agree that the 120W is more about giving it the headroom to keep the tone at high volumes (especially the clean), but its plenty loud enough for me!

Also footswitch is included and is pretty good (three switches - ultra/crunch, clean (bypass) and effects loop), only downside is that there is only the one switch to change between ultra and crunch rather than a switch for each and then the clean bypasses that, so changing different channels isn't 100% idiot-proof. But once you adjust to that (takes about 5 mins to embed how it works in ur brain) then its great.
ESP Viper-400
Marshall 1960A 4x12" cab
Quote by TroyMaclure
better versatility and cleans on a laney vh
better metal tones in an engl

Both amps which are more expensive than the JSX in the US, which engl are you talking about?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

I own a 5150, and coming from me... I'd rather have the JSX. Better sounding, less muddy, more deffined amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I like the original 5150 better then the JSX

The JSX is a bit shrill to me, still a great amp though for live use. If you want pure cut thats the amp for it!
Yes, there are people that don't like the JSX, and I agree, it's a great amp, but not the end all. However, I do find, that people the think the JSX is shrill or sharp have played the JSX with EL34 tubes. A switch to 6L6's smoothed out the amp, but made it slightly darker, and those people were satisfied. I myself like 6l6's in mine.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by creepingdeth05
Ok, I know you all are probably tired of people asking about amps, but here is another. What do you think of the Peavey JSX? I am gettin a new tube amp, and at first I was thinking the 6505, but then I read the noise gate thats in the JSX and heard it makes a big difference. Will the JSX give me a good metal sound such as Metallica? And do you all think the JSX is worth the extra 200 bucks instead of the 6505. I heard you can really dile in your sound with the JSX EQ settings. any comments will be appreciated, especially if you own the JSX or played it, i would appreciate comments thanks alot

Also does it come with a footswitch? I am sure it does as most amps do, but I noticed on Musicians friend and such they dont say footswitch included but I am sure it is. thanks

well i could get really good seek n destroy tone outta the one i played.it was awesome!awesome amp.
Quote by TroyMaclure
better versatility and cleans on a laney vh
better metal tones in an engl

Thats the whole point about the JSX...you get both in the SAME amp

And also the only ENGL i found that had a comparable metal tone was the Invader 150 and it was twice the price of my JSX (it definately wasn't twice as good a tone!)
ESP Viper-400
Marshall 1960A 4x12" cab