Why do people hate Kirk Hammet so much? I have a feeling a lot of this tension derives from unrecognized guitar players who far exceeed Kirk in technical prowess.

Personally, I feel as though the man commands respect. Maybe you can play faster and better, but he is still a great guitar player. When people reach the level that Kirk has, do they walk around telling everyone how much they suck? Of course not! Think he uses his wah too much? Tough, that's his style. Would you argue SRV used his Tubescreamer too much? Last, but certainly not least, he's a great songwriter. I'm not sure what exactly he is specifically responsible for, but he fit into the bigger picture that is Metallica and contributed to their efforts. Metallica as a whole were able to produce beautifully crafted songs. Listen to Master of Puppets and One by Apocolyptica. If you don't like the sound of a distorted guitar, this is an excellent medium to experience masterful song writing.

That's all for my arguement. And keep in mind, this really isn't an arguement. I just can't understand why people hate the guy. And please, spare me from comments like "He sucks." That's simply not valid. I hear it about Yngwie all the time. You might not like what he does, but he can play the guitar.

PS Don't end this thread because you feel it's in the wrong category. Kirk Hammet does play in a band called METALlica, doesn't he?
People hate Kirk Hammet? Where the hell have I been then?

Still, you should put this long speech of yours in the Metallica only thread, or else it may be closed.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
You've made another thread like this before, and you had your answer then. Kirk Hammett is overrated. Peolpe don't hate him, but there are MUCH better guitar players out there, MUCH. Anyways, Metallica are crap these days anyway.
'Thine Eyes Bleed':

Quote by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
People hate Kirk?!?!?First the war in Iraq, then Hurricane Katrina, now this...I'm ashamed of you people
Member #6 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
I know I made a thread like this before. I copy and pasted the whole entry. I had to because some dick canned the thread because it wasn't in an appropriate thread. Who cares if it's not in the Metallica section. I'm not talking about Metallica, I'm talking about Kirk Hammet. My question is just as valid in the Metal forum as in the Metallica forum.

I should add, everyone who notes he is often referred to as "overrated" is completely correct. That's something I won't hesitate to agree with. I'd bet he's called that more often than he is hated. But I have heard several jackasses now say they hate him. I'm just wondering why.
Man your totally wrong I love Kirk to me one of the greatest. is a great Guitar player love his style as i am a fan of Wah. Unfortunaly most of the songs riffage are mostly James' stuff as he wrote most of the riffs melodies and such like that while kirk stuck to the Leads and solos. Some of the greatest solos though in my opinion. and he did come up with some good riffs to dont get me wrong as he wrote the Main Riff to Enter Sandman. But most of the great Riffs MoP, Sanitarium, FWTBT, Fade To Black, Sad but true, Nothing Else Matters, Harvester of Sorrow, Creeping Death, Most of Kill Em All. All of these are from the great Creativity of James. but kirk is amazing onme of the reasons i play guitar
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
his solos do get a bit repetitive although some of them are great like intros to Fade to Black and Sanitarium, the battery solo is his best IMO, it just has KH written all over it. well, he might be overrated but at least he's unique. give him some credit.

oh, and it ****ing pisses me off when people "report" threads. dont be such pussies. its like, "oh mommy mommy, he made a bad thread, boo hoo,". Pussies.
It's true. If you don't like it then don't read it and then complain about it.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by nish
his solos do get a bit repetitive although some of them are great like intros to Fade to Black and Sanitarium, the battery solo is his best IMO, it just has KH written all over it. well, he might be overrated but at least he's unique. give him some credit.

oh, and it ****ing pisses me off when people "report" threads. dont be such pussies. its like, "oh mommy mommy, he made a bad thread, boo hoo,". Pussies.

Thanks for the support dude. Like I said, this conversation shouldn't be restricted to the Metallica forum. I've already stated this at least once: this is a thread about a metal guitar player, not Metallica. This thread is just as valid in this forum as it is in a Metallica forum.

THIS TOPIC REGARDS KIRK HAMMET THE GUITAR PLAYER, NOT METALLICA. To everyone that can't understand this and deems my topic unsuitable for a metal forum, piss off. I don't care how important you are. You're a dick.
Quote by SGRocker0791
*reported* Only Metallica thread. Oh, and I don't hate him, even if he uses a wah on most of his solos.

Yeah, and so did Jimi, and you don't hear anyone whining about him. I mean, I guess he was a lot more innovative than Kirk, but still...
^^I prefer to be called Phallus. Thanks.

And if we let thread like this slide under your Holier Than Thou reasoning, the this place would be filled with ZONG JAMZ HTFIELD IS S3XX LOL11! and LARZ ULRICH PWNZORZZ threads.

If you want to see that, go to the Metallica Forum. We don't want it.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link