i'm going to buy a new set of pickups within the next week or two, and before i say what sound i'll tell you my setup if that helps
i have a dean 79 flying v with two humbuckers, vol/vol/tone controls, a tune-o-matic bridge with strings through the body instead of a tailpiece, a rosewood fretboard, and mahogany body and neck with a flame maple top
i have a crate gt120 amp which is pretty nice for ss and for my purposes with clean/rhythm/solo channels and i have a dunlop crybaby bass and a boss super distortion and feedbacker (!!!)

i like two polar opposite genres, blues and metal. i want one pickup for clean to medium overdriven/distorted blues and i was wondering if a bright clean pup like that could also do 80s trebley cleanish metal (iron maiden, some van halen, judas priest) and i want another pickup that can do gritty classic rock (zz top, ac/dc, led zep) and distorted crunchy metal (metallica, megadeth, and necessary: SLAYER).

any help would be super appreciated as i've been looking at lots of pup manufacturer's websites but its not as easy as picking out a guitar and playing it in person. ive mainly been looking at dimarzios, would like the price per pickup around 50-80 or so

EDIT: i was thinking dimarzio bluesbucker in the neck with the hot coils facing towards the neck and a dimarzio humbucker from hell in the bridge but idk how well that distorts...
Muddy Waters invented electricity.
Last edited by thegreensquall at May 19, 2006,
If you want to use the neck strictly for blues and clean and the bridge for metal I'd say try Air Norton in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge. You'd probably be better off with a Tone Zone in the bridge as it is very good for classic rock/blues and can do metal very well unlike the Super Distortion, which is pretty much only for metal/shred.

Edit: Also try looking at Swineshead Pickups.

http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/default.htm

For you I'd probably say a Condor in the neck and a Warthog/X-Bucker for the bridge. IMO they're much better than most dimarzios and are about the same price.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Last edited by Chimaira at May 19, 2006,
Not to be stereotypical, but a jb/jazz sounds like something for you. But the jb needs some magnet adjustment to sound alright.
im not too hot on the seymour duncans that i've heard, can i get swinesheads pickups in the good ol u s of a? and could i get an iron maiden sound out of the tone zone? what about the humbucker from hell?
Yep, swinseheads have free shipping if you buy a set.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
im really interested in using a humbucker from hell in the bridge position, can it go distortiony well, has anyone used this?