well i know i've been asking alot of questions since i got my jcm800 so heres another one.

i knew it had to be cranked to get the distortion going but i didn't realize i needed to peel the paint off the walls. so i know i can get a attenuator to crank the power amp tubes and get the marshall tone while still playing at bedroom volume.

so anyway what kind do i need...do all attenuators work with all amps...or are they brand specific. i'm gonna get one off of ebay for 100 bucks or so hopefully but i want to know i'm getting what i need...

finally how do they hook up to your amp?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
btw how the hell do i tell what the ohms are on my amp so i know which hotplate to get?

basically looking at my amp its like this:

the 2 spearkes are wired together ...then 1 cable goes from the right speaker up to the output jack.

the speakers are clestion G12M-70's

on ebay they have 8,16, and 4 ohms hotplates...the 4's are the highest and most expensive at almost 200 bucks while the 16's are selling for under 100. so if my speakers are 8 ohms could i do it with a 16 or do i have to have an 8 ohms atteunator?
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Last edited by bonchie1 at May 19, 2006,
it depends on the load your amp is seeing from the 2 speakers. Is the jack labeled, or do you know the stock impedance? If you can see the speakers, they should be labeled with the impedance value. If they are wired in series, it goes positive cable lead->speaker1 positive- - speaker 1 negative->speaker 2 positive---speaker 2 negative->negative cable lead.

If parallel, positive cable lead ->speaker 1 positive and speaker 2 positive.
negative cable lead -> speaker 1 negative and speaker 2 negative.

If series, the ohms will be double the value of one speaker, ie 8ohm + 8ohm = 16ohm
if parallel 8ohm + 8ohm in parallel = 4 ohms.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 19, 2006,
well i can tell you the switch on the back of my amp is set at 8 ohms...does that mean thats what the amp is seeing and using and thats the hotplate i should get?

p.s. the spearkers say 15 ohms on them...not sure how that translates to anything but you asked so there it is.

i'm kinda hoping someone with my amp will come in and just know what the ohms are.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
If that's what it's set on, that's what I would use. You want to match the attenuator to your speaker impedance, so the amp is seeing the same load as before.

8 ohms makes sense, probably (2) 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel?

By the way, also check out the Weber brand of attenuators, they are supposed to be really good for the price. I personally own a hotplate, and I have no complaints other than price.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids