Well, I've got a B.C. Rich Mockingbird neck lying around and didn't want to waste it so I thought I would fix it up. I know you're thinking that it isn't worth fixing up something so cheap but the neck is actually quite good. It features a Hard Maple neck with a 24 fret Rosewood fingerboard.

I've already started sanding the headstock down and here are some pics.

Sorry about the size of the pics can't resize them right now.

As you can see I haven't sanded all of the headstock, because of the metal spots from where the machineheads used to be. You can't see it but they go down into the hole about 3mm. So, my first question to all of you ugers is, should I remove these and if so how? Could I use a soldering iron to heat them up and use pliers to pull them out? Also, If I remove these would the hole for the machineheads be too big for me to replace them. Thanks for any help and I'll update this after anymore work.

Edit: Fixed the pics so they aren't as big anymore.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Last edited by Chimaira at May 19, 2006,
try poking them out with a screwdriver, thats what i did and it worked fine. And you want to keep them if you get differnt tuners because they fit through.
Thanks for the help, once I get them off I would just glue them back on right?

Edit: Nevermind they popped right off and they pop back on.
Quote by GiantRaven
Last edited by Chimaira at May 20, 2006,
I would reccomend taking the nut off too. And then maybe getting a new nut.

To take it off, I would just take a box-cutter, score along the edges of the nut, then just tap the nut with a hammer wrapped in a old t-shirt.
I may try doing that, Would I be able to get a new nut at a local music store like Guitar Center?
Quote by GiantRaven
Quote by Chimaira
I may try doing that, Would I be able to get a new nut at a local music store like Guitar Center?

possibly, failing that just buy one of stew mac.
you might wanna sand the back of the neck down or reshape it, idk how good of a back shape it has
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
If you do buy a new nut, go with bone, tusq, graphite or micarta. Metal would also work (nickel, aluminum, brass). Just don't go with plastic.
actualy earvana nuts are nice, and they are plastic, i got a pvc nut that is quite good, but you probaly should go with brass

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
I'm going to try to get a brass nut for better sustain and a brighter sound. I am going to sand the back of the neck to just a bit bigger than the wizard neck. The fretboard radius is going to be changed as well to be more like that of a jackson soloist. I've decided that I'm turning it into a fretless and have go half of the frets out as of right now. Will post pics tomorrow, when all of the frets are out.
Quote by GiantRaven
Quote by t heff
actualy earvana nuts are nice, and they are plastic, i got a pvc nut that is quite good, but you probaly should go with brass

Well Earvana nuts are meant for a different purpose; they don't focus on the sound as much as the intonation.
Quote by tylerishot
Well Earvana nuts are meant for a different purpose; they don't focus on the sound as much as the intonation.

if i remeber right better inotation helps with better tone

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
either go full fretless or fretted dont do a half fretted, it doesn't work to well

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Quote by t heff
either go full fretless or fretted dont do a half fretted, it doesn't work to well

Of course I'm not going to do a half fretless, that would be horrible to play and would look like crap. Getting to work now on the other half of the frets, should have pics up in a little while.
Quote by GiantRaven
remeber to fill the fret slots with wood so that you can tell where they are

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
The bassist/vocalist from Venom has a J-Bass fretted to the 12th and fretless the rest of the way.
...eh..ive heard of fretless guitars but ive also heard that you probably wont be able to just take the frets off and have a fretless. your fretboard will need to be a very hard wood and you will probably need to use the heaviest guage strings you can find(ghs zakk wylde boomers?). thats why it works well with a bass; thick strings, and hard fretboard. but who knows, maybe it'll work- post pictures.
<JimmyPage5290>
Gibson Les Paul Smartwood, and Trogdor (Custom guitar build)> Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde> DigiTech Distortion Factory> Dimebag CryBaby >Fender Hotrod Deville 212
UPDATE:

Finished sanding the headstock and got the rest of the frets off.

Frets took me about two hours to get all of them off. As you can see there are major chips on the wood. There's not much time left for work today, but tomorrow I will sand down the neck and start filling in the gaps. Also, instead of using maple strips like most people do I'm just going to use some wood filler.
Quote by GiantRaven