Hi, ive played guitar for 4 years or so and im looking to play bass as well. i have around $900 to spend on a bass and an amp. I need something really versatile. the rig would need to be loud enough to play shows, and reliable. As i mentioned, i need something versatile because i dont know what genre i will be playing yet. Hopefully im not asking for too much from $900.

ive done a lot of musiciansfriend browsing but i really dont know a whole lot about bass.

P.S. i would probably be buying used, so base the prices off of that.

thanks.
Orange Rockerverb 100 + Orange PPC412
Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Fender Road Worn Player's Telecaster
Gallien-Kruger Backline 115 combo (425 new, I'd expect 350-375ish in the used market)
Ibanez SR500 (550ish new... Id' expect around 450-500 new) Be sure to buy a new one though, not an older one. The new ones have Bartolini pickups and EQ.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Gallien-Kruger Backline 115 combo (425 new, I'd expect 350-375ish in the used market)
Ibanez SR500 (550ish new... Id' expect around 450-500 new) Be sure to buy a new one though, not an older one. The new ones have Bartolini pickups and EQ.

Im just letting you know I couldnt get like 250 for my Backline 115 used, so I'd say that you're more likely to get it for 150-200 + shipping. Used cuts prices in half, nut cuts off $100.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
well i just found a really good deal on a Fender Jazz Bass. only $220. how versatile is it? and what would be a good amp to go with it for $580 used?

thanks for your replies.
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
A bass that's cheaper then your amp? Not a good match.

You can get a brand new 15 watt Crate for about 150$ Canadian.
^Ummm......wrong. You're going to want to spend more on your amp than your bass. It's important to find a bass that is comfortable, but keep in mind that a $2,000 bass through a $200 amp is going to give you $200 tone. Find a nice amp, and use whats left over for a bass. Hell, you could get an SX Jazz, give it a decent setup, and then buy an uber good amp. If there was any money left it could be invested in pickups.
Quote by ~Rock~Guitarist
well i just found a really good deal on a Fender Jazz Bass. only $220. how versatile is it? and what would be a good amp to go with it for $580 used?

thanks for your replies.

If you like Fender J-basses, I recommend going around a bunch of Pawn Shops.

I got my 1997 Fender j-bass (MIM) for 150!

If I had 750 to spend on an amp when i was just startin' bass damn that woulda pwnt.
haha
Quote by WashBurn!
A bass that's cheaper then your amp? Not a good match.

You can get a brand new 15 watt Crate for about 150$ Canadian.

Wrong. Your amp is more important than your bass.

As for the topic creator, this amp is pretty good :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/YorkvilleBassMasterXM200TBassCombo?sku=480955

It's got a scoop effect on it which makes it sound nice a smooth, it's really really loud. Works for me
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
^ Yeh, I spend AUD$1400 on my first amp (litte more than $800) and it's done everything I've asked it to and then some.

I'd say spend more on an amp that will last you aswell, espcially if you're gonna want to play in bands.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Jazz basses are good, but they aren't created equal. You are better off looking around pawn shops for one that feels nice to play than ordering one. I've played some that just feel awful and some that are amazing.
so is gallien kreuger pretty versatile? im in a position to get a GK 400RB-IV and a GK 410 cab and i was wondering if this and the jazz bass previously mentioned would be good.
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Ive been working with that GK+cab lately at the guitar store (well playing and toyin around with it i mean)

it can get me a lot of VERY nice tones, though ive mostly tried for tones to do with over 50% treble so far, i havnt heard what it sounds like with a nice smooth bassy sound, but since its a 4x10 i wouldnt expect it to be as good in the bass department. you could add a 1x15 later on or something i guess.

but anyway it sounds a helluva lot better than my ampeg ba115...

dammit wheres my carvin! :P