what does it take to make it big in the music industry?
a willingness to sell out in todays world
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
it all depends on the definition of making it big, if by making it big you mean being number one on like TRL or something than it requires you to either A) sell your bands sound and your soul or B) on pure talent alone have the one of the most amazing pieces of music that is appealing to a wide varray of an audience
You're asking UG?...
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
I agree with whitebluesboy.
You either got to sound like every other emo/pop/punk "music" that is out there, and sell yourself to a large record company, or stay indie and just blow everyone away with your skill. Making it big is not always making it to the top of the charts, it depends on perspective.
in today's music market, to make it BIG, you gotta have good marketability, thats what ive learnt. Everything is about that one BIG HIT, and if they cant market you, they wont care.

Thats why, i believe in paying your dues with indie labels. Most indie labels still sign bands because they like their music, and believe that with a little help, they can make it somewhere.

If you find yourself asking how to make it big, your missing the whole true aspect of making it big. You shoudl be focusing on why you want to make it big, and that is to be able to make a living out of doing something you enjoy, and truly it doesnt always take a major label making you big to do that.

so keep writing, keep playing, and keep trying to get better and be better. If you put your all into it, someone will notice, and things will work out in the end.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
its all luck and the times music in general moves in circles, the big thing now is indie rock and pop punk, i bet soon were gonna have pop metal again, i mean skill isnt really a priority now its about a look and a sound, great bands go completely unnoticed because they dont sound like somthing else you have the rare exceptions like tool and incubus but its all around luck
basically, youve just gotta work unbelievably hard.

First you have to make sure that you have a good setlist of originals. you have to have atleast a half hour setlist of VERY HIGH QUALITY original songs. then, you have to gig like mad. Dont be picky about where you play, and when you start out, even offer to play for free.

Then, once you start getting more gigs, setup a band website, not some crappy freewebs.com/rbandpwnsall website, but a proper professional looking .com or .co.uk adress (or .net if you want). Once youve done that, you have to make sure that you promote your website at gigs. announce it at the start and end and maybe even in the middle of your sets. then you can start promoting things through your website. Once your fans start to sign up to the site, you want to start creating e-teams and street teams. An e-team is a group of people who helps to promote your band on the internet, sending emails about your band and gigs etc. to friends and other people and getting new people listening to your site. a street team is a group of people who will put up posters around and drag people to your gigs.

At the same time as your doing all of this, you want to be preparing a demo CD. This has multiple uses, it can be sent off to record companies eventually. but it can usually be used to sell at gigs. you can hire a friend or someone to handle the selling side of the band, and even the promoting side if you want. As for the quality of the CD, this has to be good. I suggest that you invest in a DAW (like these or these) or a similar piece of equipment to use for recording, or if you can afford it, ideally you would get into a recording studio.

Once you start gigging more and more and building up a larger fan base, some press attention should arise, use this to your advantage. if they want to talk to you, make sure they put details of your next gig in along with your website. and also make sure that you save all press clippings for your press pack.

Your press pack is what you send off to record companies to help generate interest from them about you. You should send a demo CD (with 3 - 4 songs on it, maybe more if you want, but make sure you order them well, almost as if its a setlist at a gig), your press pack (consisting of all your press clippings) and then finally a short bio of each of your band members including a picture of yourselves. This should then get the record company more interested than they would be with an average send in.

This is by no means a guaranteed method of getting signed but you will still interest them. Remeber, you will get rejected alot more times than you will get replied to.

I'm pretty sure i covered everything there and this is only touching the surface of things you can do, if you need anything else, just ask.
Quote by gdm09
what does it take to make it big in the music industry?

You don't need any talent, no musical training required. All you need is a great deal of money.
s'all bout the talent and melodies.

also looks matters.

no joke.

lol.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

Stage Presence, luck (lots of it), and yes, the willingness to if not sell out, make dramatic changes.

And of course, you gotta be good.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
About giging EVERYWHERE, its true. Ive giged at a Rest home for 50bux. They were thinking WTF is this, but still $50 is a good start.
Oh on a side note.. If people here knew exactly what does it take to "make it big", do you think they'd be loitering around here still?
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Fillers make CD's suck. Having huge buildups and something catchy. Your goal should be when you play a show leave something people, when they leave can remeber some part, no matter how important that part was, they just need to remeber it.
1. A huge hit song. If you have more than one, that's even better.

2. Failing a HUGE hit, several pretty good hits.

3. Failing hits, you need fantastic albums that appeal to a wide range of non-mainstream listeners.

4. Failing all musical talent and songwriting ability, you need to be good-looking and/or marketable.

5. Failing all of the above, you need to be an out-of-control substance-abusing crazy person.

The biggest bands in history had several huge hit songs, a couple dozen semi-hits, b-sides and live cuts that always get played on the radio, at least three great albums, plus they were good-looking or strangely appealing, and on top of that, they were stoned the whole time.

Bands that fit the bill for items 4 and 5 usually don't go anywhere, and might achieve 15 minutes of fame on MTV from time to time.

Bands that qualify for item 3, great albums, can make a comfortable living playing music, and the best of them can get rich and fairly famous, particularly among other musicians.

And if you can produce hit songs and handle the business side of music, you can "make it." if you can do all that without going to jail, dying, getting an STD, going bankrupt, or selling your soul, all the better to you.
^^ That was good
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
stick with it

cause i dont know how many bands ive seen that are soo good, and could be soo close but they break up so fast, if they wouldve stuck with it, the wouldve gotten signed with the next year...
man , i can't believe it!!! soooo many people wanna know how to make it big, not that i'm moaning or anything, but can't ya just make music you love and hope someone else likes it? making it big really shouldn't be that important......
Quote by z4twenny
man , i can't believe it!!! soooo many people wanna know how to make it big, not that i'm moaning or anything, but can't ya just make music you love and hope someone else likes it? making it big really shouldn't be that important......

Well making it big usually includes making large amounts of money at some point, and money is probably the most important thing for survival in modern day times. Money buys food, electricity, water etc., without which most of us would probably shrivel and die off.
Quote by z4twenny

but come on, wouldnt to be nice to be rich WHILE playing music you love. Its a win win! Plus I would probably spend all the riches on really nice gibsons and martins, and probably make my own home studio. yeah...