im starting a band with my friends, this is my first band, we dont plan to do any gigs soon, but i only have a 10 watt marshall, would this be good enough to play with 3 other guys in a basement?
An MG....prepare to be flamed about the poor quality of your amp btw.

It might be able to cut through if your drummer is tamed and you completely crank it, but expect horrible tone and SS clipping.

I'd look into something better. But give it a try.....as you guys aren't doing anything serious, it might work for you.
Depends what amps they are running, you might have trouble getting over the drums, it's solid state? I guess the only way to see is just try it, if you aren't happy, start looking for a new one.
same with me page, my friends and i just started a band, and all i have is a 10 watt ibanez amp
You need at least 30 watts cranked to hear yourself over the drums. 10 watts is nothing.
Last edited by drop-dead666 at May 20, 2006,
Should be enough if you use something to make the drums quieter.
i use a 15 watt SS, i need to completely crank it to get over the drums...and then the whole thing starts clipping, and the tone just gets sucked out of it
probably not enough to play over drums, but just to mess around with other guitarists you're fine. Especially if you want to communicate, like bands just starting off should.

Wrong forum, btw.
I have played with a Crate 12 watt amp with a drummer (a very laid back drummer by the way) and another guitarist. For a slow blues-style jam, it worked decently. Of course eventually you'll need to upgrade. At the moment I'm playing through a 65 watt amp and I'm pushing it farther than I'd like to be (this drummer's not so calm).

So a 10 watt amp could possibly work if you crank it and have an extremely tame drummer. Quiet drums will, of course, limit you on what genres will sound good (I'm not so sure how Black Flag's gonna sound with brushes on the drums).
I know a mouse and he hasn't got a house
I don't know why I call him Gerald
He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse
Try it out and see how it is. If it's not loud enough, upgrade.

As for why people hate MGs, I don't know. I love mine.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I have to agree with what most people have said. If you have a competent drummer, you should be able to hear yourself, but I'd upgrade to at least a 30w amp as soon as you can. Rolande Cube 30 and Cube 60 are really nice for the price, as are Vox AD30VT and AD50VT Valvetronix.

If you can afford it, a decent 30+ watt tube combo will get over drums just fine.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

haha i had a mg15cdr too. I got it during the times where lot of pp recommend mg15cdr. My was the older version batch
Quote by pageXxXzoso
im starting a band with my friends, this is my first band, we dont plan to do any gigs soon, but i only have a 10 watt marshall, would this be good enough to play with 3 other guys in a basement?

LOL HAAHHA no way man ,if u have drumms u need 75w at least so u can hear your self
without turning the volume at max and destroying the amp

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp
Quote by freddy692000
LOL HAAHHA no way man ,if u have drumms u need 75w at least so u can hear your self
without turning the volume at max and destroying the amp

depends on how loud of a drummer you have.

I have a 30W amp and it can roughly do it, but a solid state amp cranked sounds like **** so its advised you get something bigger so you at least have some headroom (50W+).

Tube amps are a different sorry, 30W is enough, 50W is ****ing loud