I'm using my firends account to ask a question. I recently pruchased a new Fender Jazz Bass. I play with my fingers and I had real problems with fret buzz. So I took it in and they adjusted my neck and raised my action slightly. Its alot better then it was before, but there was still some buzz. I asked my friend who has been playing for about 3 years now what I should do. He asked me how hard I was strumming. I took my bass over and showed him he said my form was good enough and wouldnt cause it to buzz. So he told me to adjust my action a little more might help, but he didnt have the tools. Fender gave me everything I need to adjust the neck and the bridge, so Im thinking about adjusting it, but before I try it myself, can adjusting the action damage or affect the way my bass plays? I wouldn't wanna do itmyself and damage my bass, but if it something that I could do without having to take it in that would be of much convienence to me.
It shouldn't damage the bass, but it will affect the way it plays. Remember to slacken the tension before rasin and lowering your saddles, and that's about it. Also, don't use the truss rod to adjust action, that's not what it's for.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I know not to mess with the truss rod, I was talking about adjusting the bridge. Now how do I adjust the slack fo the string i know how to raise the bridge. I adjusted my e string last night and it sounds fine, but should I mess with the slack then?
he means tune them down a bit. if you raise your action, your strings get more tense, hence they auto get tuned up a bit, so if you dont wanna risk snapping them, you could tune them down before adjusting your action.

but when i fiddle with my action, im usually lowering it, so thats not a problem. and even if i do raise it, ive never snapped a string from just that much tuning up. if you feel comfortable tuning each string on your bass up a quarter of a step, then you shouldnt fret about tuning it down before adjusting action, but if you're a bit paranoid, then by all means tune down if it makes you feel good.
Ya Im not to worried about my strings, I have plenty of them, borther works at a music store , I'm worried about ****ing up my neck.
nah something that small wouldnt do anything. well just dont leave the strings after you adjust the action, just make sure to tune again to standard or w.e you play in.
Quote by TGM
It shouldn't damage the bass, but it will affect the way it plays. Remember to slacken the tension before rasin and lowering your saddles, and that's about it. Also, don't use the truss rod to adjust action, that's not what it's for.

The truss rod is the first thing to consider when setting up or adjusting the action!
First step, get the bass in tune and look down the edge of the neck, there should be a very slight inwards bow (and I mean very slight).
If the truss rod does need adjusting it is important to slacken the strings completely, if it bends backwards when in tune slacken it off in 1/4 turns, retune and check.
If there is too much bow once again slacken the strings and add tension to the truss rod 1/4 turn at a time.
Changing the gauge of bass strings will alter the neck angle therefore that is the place to start.
When raising and lowering strings at the bridge saddle you will also alter the intonation, therefore when you have an action that you are happy with check the intonation.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
^ I mean don't use it to adjust the action, it's there for neck bow, not string hieght. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

About slackening the strings, even if you don't snap strings, it's alot easier to turn the screws (for both action and intonation) if there is less tension, so you're less likely to strip a screw.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I actually took my bass in to get it looked at and the guy adjusted my truss rod form me he gave me that slight c shape so i think my truss rods good I was just talking about heightening the strings.
I feel like and idiot for not aksin this sooner, and now it might be to late. I forgot to ask by adjusting the brdige saddles myself, can I do premanent or irrevirsible damage to my bass?
No, you can't damage your bass forever. They are there for adjusting your string height/action. When you do it, just make sure you don't put it so high that you can't play the bass past the 12th fret
Fender Jazz Bass
Squire Stratocaster
Yamaha RBX 170(Custom Paint)
Yamaha MagicStomp
Dunlop MXR Distortion +
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Peavey Basic 112
Noted, I actually just made it even with my "A" string and it seems to work fine. I hope, but as long as any adjustment I make to the bridge can be adjusted back. The I wont stress it.
I hate to keep asking question, and Im starting to piss my room mate off by using his account, but I noticed today that the the bridge saddle on my e string was kinda slanted in comparison to the other saddles I pushed it in so it staightened. Was that a bad idea, it still sounds fine, to me granted Im still a relitivley new bassist, and I when I ask my room mate he just calls me idiot, cuz i dont know ****. So anyway was that a horrible thing to do or is that no big deal? I know I sound narrodic with these questions, but I just spent over 300 bucks on a new bass and I wanna make sure it works properly and stays that way.
you pushed it in? lol usually there are two allan key holes where you can adjust each side of the saddle...
Fender Jazz Bass
Squire Stratocaster
Yamaha RBX 170(Custom Paint)
Yamaha MagicStomp
Dunlop MXR Distortion +
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Peavey Basic 112
Quote by SnuffdaCrimDog
I hate to keep asking question, and Im starting to piss my room mate off by using his account, but I noticed today that the the bridge saddle on my e string was kinda slanted in comparison to the other saddles I pushed it in so it staightened. Was that a bad idea, it still sounds fine, to me granted Im still a relitivley new bassist, and I when I ask my room mate he just calls me idiot, cuz i dont know ****. So anyway was that a horrible thing to do or is that no big deal? I know I sound narrodic with these questions, but I just spent over 300 bucks on a new bass and I wanna make sure it works properly and stays that way.

If you spent 300 bucks on a bass then it should have been set up properly, if it wasn't then it is the retailers responsibility to put it right.
Most of your questions seem to have been answered but there comes a time when you are going to have to use a little common sense and logic; bridges and truss rods are made to be adjusted so start experimenting a little yourself, as long as you don't do anyhting drastic you won't harm anything, the golden rule being always slacken your strings first.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by SnuffdaCrimDog
I feel like and idiot for not aksin this sooner, and now it might be to late. I forgot to ask by adjusting the brdige saddles myself, can I do premanent or irrevirsible damage to my bass?

Quote by SnuffdaCrimDog
I actually took my bass in to get it looked at and the guy adjusted my truss rod form me he gave me that slight c shape so i think my truss rods good I was just talking about heightening the strings.

please do not double post. Double posting is leaving two posts by yourself in a row with no one in between. There is an edit button to go back and change this. If you use it and correct yourself, you will go unwarned. If you don't, you will get a warning.

Quote by SnuffdaCrimDog
Noted, I actually just made it even with my "A" string and it seems to work fine. I hope, but as long as any adjustment I make to the bridge can be adjusted back. The I wont stress it.

Quote by SnuffdaCrimDog

same here about the double posting.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!