i hope nobody already asked this so i dont get reamed by some forum addict but why is epiphone selling their ebony(black) les pauls for $120 cheaper... did they buy too much paint or dont people want them.. i dont get it.. i would rather spend 379 on a brand new ebony lp than get the same one just a different color for $500 .. anyone know whats goin on?

just curious
Quote by Air Guitarist!
yeah if she starts gettin fat just punch her in the stomach once or twice a day

Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Spit everywhere, and just yell things at the crowd.

Quote by Virgil_Hart05
YOUR MOM (guitar) and YOUR OTHER MOM on drums
i thought it was just at my local guitar center but look on musiciansfriend.com
Quote by Air Guitarist!

Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Quote by Virgil_Hart05
any ideas? are they crappier in any way?? does the CEO have a racist preference for his guitars colors..
Quote by Air Guitarist!

Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Quote by Virgil_Hart05
They probably just produced more black or sold less then they though, the only difference would be the finish. I wouldn't buy a black guitar, but I wouldn't buy a white guitar either, I don't really like the look of them, but that's just me, most people don't seem to care that much about finish, so you should probably get it and spend the savings on pickups
your saying its becuase of the fretboard right? is it bad that its ebony and not something else? is that another reason why its might be cheaper? please splain.. im not good at this guitar stuff yet
Quote by Air Guitarist!

Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Quote by Virgil_Hart05
dont forget that ebony les paul also come with gold hardware. and why its cheap i dont know maybe cos its an epiphone or it could be b-stock
hmm.. oh well .. im on a budget so ebony will do just fine
Quote by Air Guitarist!

Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Quote by Virgil_Hart05
note, try the guitar out and see if there is any superficial damage on it like chip in the paint or big scratches etc.
it's not that particular guitar that is cheap, it's all black epiphone les paul standards, from anywhere. what do you mean ebony fretboard? ebony is just the color of the finish
ya thats what i thought but hes talking about the type of wood on the fretboard is ebony... i dont know im confused.. and thirsty.. im just gonna chill and watch you two battle .. if it takes place
Quote by Air Guitarist!

Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Quote by Virgil_Hart05
ebony as a wood is really dense and expensive, probably more expensive than rosewood or any other fretboard material, where did you read they have ebony necks?
some dude was sayin in my other post something about how they use cheaper or lower quaility wood becuase you cant see through it?
Quote by Air Guitarist!

Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Quote by Virgil_Hart05
yeah, but there are plenty of finishes that have no transparency. it's possible, but I doubt it, they cut so much wood away to get a single guitar body, it's not like they are that desperate that they wouldn't discard bad wood, not even in the korean epiphone factory
yeh it could be a lower grade ebony but nowadays ebony is pretty scarce and expensive as hell so i dont know why their going cheap. btw what amp do you have
maple<rosewood<ebony is how necks go although i prefer a rosewood for its feel.

but as for why its cheaper...your looking at a b-stock on musiciansfriend i'm sure. otherwise theres noway you saw it 120 less then a regular. those guitars are already only 387 dollars right now after there recent price cuts...i doubt they let a les paul go for 260...
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by RyanIsNice
some dude was sayin in my other post something about how they use cheaper or lower quaility wood becuase you cant see through it?

yeh they usually shove a piece of alder inbetween two layers of mahogany and put a solid paint job on
The Ebony Color is cheaper for one main reason; They don't have to go to the trouble of putting extra effort into a flame top. The ebony is just easier. They spray the whole thing and don't have to worry about it. The other colors take more work, therefore, they cost more.

Just get the ebony. It's an awesome color and why not for how much cheaper it is?

Also, you can get a b-stock one for even cheaper. I think they're $299 on musician's friend. I may be wrong though.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by RyanIsNice
i hope nobody already asked this so i dont get reamed by some forum addict but why is epiphone selling their ebony(black) les pauls for $120 cheaper... did they buy too much paint or dont people want them.. i dont get it.. i would rather spend 379 on a brand new ebony lp than get the same one just a different color for $500 .. anyone know whats goin on?

just curious

Its probably for the same reason why gibson sells their ebony standards and classics lower than the other colors: Ebony tend to mask over imperfections in the wood, and the finish for the others is more expensive to apply.
^Oh yeah..that's true. I forgot about wood imperfections. I wonder if they use lower quality wood for the ebony ones, or just wood that doesn't look as fancy?

Or possibly maple that not flamed? (hard maple I believe...Soft maple is used for flame tops)
That would definetly make them cheaper to produce.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar