I'd like to put 10's on my floyd guitar (I have 9's at the moment), and I was wondering if I could raise the spring tension enough by just tightening the claw screws, or will I need to add another spring? (right now I have 3, and the outside two are already angled).

Thanks
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Possibly. You really have to try to see if you can just get away by moving the plate the springs are attached to a bit more inward to compensate without any more springs.
Thanks seljer, I guess I'll just stick the strings on and if I need another spring I need another spring.

Would it warp my neck if I only replace the three treble strings with 10's? 'Cos I'm used to nylon strings so they feel really weedy, but I'm happy with the bass strings.
Quote by VR2005

imo depending on the current spring setup you probably wont need to add another spring just need to tighten it
Thanks. I'll try out putting a full set of 10's on, and if that's too high tension I'll put back on the bottom three 9's. But will this damage the neck?
Quote by VR2005

nope, its just fine, you basically will have same sets of strings as 9-46, or better known as super tops regular bottoms. And i think you wont need another spring if you're just moving from 9s to 10s, there's still space left.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Thanks madpickin and seljer and azn, you solved my problem in less than 25 minutes! You all rock
Quote by VR2005

Quote by marmoseti

Would it warp my neck if I only replace the three treble strings with 10's? 'Cos I'm used to nylon strings so they feel really weedy, but I'm happy with the bass strings.

nah, you don't really need to mess with the truss rod and that stuff until you move up past .11s and the neck gets a bit more bow in it.
hey marmoseti hows that bareknuckle miracle man in your cort. you should join the cort forums and put pics up
Its awesome! It's good for dream theater sounds (can't play it though ), and its good for metallica. Its pretty good for Iron maiden too, but a little too smooth I think. It sounds pretty good through my line 6 spider [waits to be incinerated], but I'm really waiting to play it through a JCM800 at the local practice rooms . Bear in mind I'm a 15 year old kid, so I've still got a lot to learn about guitar tone .

Pics are up below. Burnt chrome. Mmmmmm.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2791&highlight=burnt+chrome+miracle+man
Quote by VR2005

i didn't have to change springs when i went from 10-46 strings to my current 13-46 set
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Ok thanks, I'll give it a shot. I'm pretty hopeful, but its only a few quid for a spring anyway.
Quote by VR2005