So yesterday I went out and bought the Rocktron metal planet pedal. I have my Vox Valvetronix and the distortion doesn't work very well for what I need. It doesn't seem to get heavy enough or a tight sound.

The distortion pedal has 4 EQ settings. Low, High, Mid and Mid range sweep. How should I EQ the pedal and my amp to get it to sound good. I really don't need a metal sound out of it, so I don't want to scoop it. Basically how do I go about using both EQ's? I don't want to set my amp to flat because it will not sound good for cleans.

How do I go about using 2 EQ's? Are there any better pedal?(I haven't decided if I like or dislike this one.)
This is how I EQ:

1. Set everything to zero
2. Play an powerchord on the low E and A strings
3. Adjust the bass until you hear a swell
5. Play a power chord on the D and G strings
6. Adjust mids until you hear a swell
7. Play a power chord on the B and high E strings
8. Adjust the treble until you hear a swell

I'd do that on the amp and then just adjust the pedal EQ to get the sounds you want.
Quote by Insolent
This is how I EQ:

1. Set everything to zero
2. Play an powerchord on the low E and A strings
3. Adjust the bass until you hear a swell
5. Play a power chord on the D and G strings
6. Adjust mids until you hear a swell
7. Play a power chord on the B and high E strings
8. Adjust the treble until you hear a swell

I'd do that on the amp and then just adjust the pedal EQ to get the sounds you want.

Alrigh thanks. I will try that on the pedal. How should I set my amp EQ?

What do you mean by "swell"?
Try putting them up to 12 o'clock first..
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Anyone else? I want to just set my amp first and then EQ the distortion pedal. What should my cleans be set at?
I've never messed with two eqs but I would set everything on the amp at halfway so it's neutral and then the pedal can be the fine tuning eq.

Maybe mess around with it and see what you can do. I heard that Dimebag would boost the mids on one EQ and then scoop them on another. what the freak!