Ok, so me and a mate are interested in building a guitar, we got the right equipment, cause his dads an engineer/builder and what not, but we need some information on:

A) wood choices, whats the best wood for the body
B) pick-ups, any decent pickups on the markets?

we want to make a guitar similar to a prs, but obviously a little cheaper, double humbuckers, with a strat body as well. Thanks guys
Don't make it with a strat body... I'll never understand the point of building your own guitar if you make it exactly like something you could buy down the street. Design your own body!

For wood, I'm personally a fan of mahogany... it's a royal bitch to work with, and pretty heavy too, but greeat tone... And As for pickups, it totally depends on what you play.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
A ) Any hardwood - the heavier ( denser ) the better the sustain.
B ) Depends on your budget - you could buy something like EMGs or buy some no name pickups.
Make it a flying V

!!!feel the funk blast!!!

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN
Depends on the sound you want, pretty hard to copy a prs, I like mahogany, but basswood with a quilted maple is cool too, depends on what you want, and dont make a strat body if youre building it, customize it, try to do something never saw before, like a Jackson Kelly Star (saw that on Ebay).
Check out Alembic's basses for cool body design ideas.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.