Page 1 of 2
I was at the music shop today, and i tried out an epiphone LP standard. To my amazment, it was actually as good as my gibson. I'm now thinking of getting one. maybe ill get an elitist because that has to be better than my Gibson. I'm impressed
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
ummmmm your comparing a guitar that has a piece of alder running through it to a guitar that has a mahogany body. or is it the epi lp standard plain top
Quote by tabber666
I was at the music shop today, and i tried out an epiphone LP standard. To my amazment, it was actually as good as my gibson. I'm now thinking of getting one. maybe ill get an elitist because that has to be better than my Gibson. I'm impressed

To each his own. I wasn't impressed as much with the Studios as the Epiphone Elitists, they are really nice guitars.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
its not the alder core that's the problem.

the alder gives it a nice bright sound.

and to compare it to gibson ud need to compare specific epi's to specific low end gibsons.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
oh well... epiphone just released the new epiphone les paul standard plain top that has no alder running through the body
Mine is quite the guitar, also. I've been told multiple times it is comparable to a Gibson LP Standard. I love epiphones, and highly reccomend them.
^ i second that
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
i think ity was good. Some EMG pick ups in it would be good. I'm stuck between two guitars, which both have their benefits.
Peavey Rotor EX

Epiphone LP standard

I'm actually edging more towards the Pevey Rotor but what do you guys think.

PS regardless of which one i buy, I will be changing out the pick ups so don't include them in your judgement of the best guitar
                My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
                Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
                LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
                Quote by slashnmash
                epiphones are highly underrated. They dont suck, my LP standard feels very nice.

yeah my bands drummers brother has a nice epi lp an it plays an feels very good i havent played a gibson so i cant really compare it there
                Lots of epiphones suck, it's just a matter of finding one that was made well. I have tried very good ones that are nearly as nice as a gibson, and others make me want to puke.
                Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
                Tabber 66 I just got a peavey Roter exp and they're pretty awesome fo the price. Mine was black and came with the floyd on it. I've only played an epi for a short time but I recommend the rotor, it's nice.
                there's nothing wrong with alder why are you guys being all "omfg Mahogany is the best"

play a 70s strat reissue and tell me alder is a bad tonewood
                Quote by Ihearthetfield
                Epi LP standard>>> Gibson LP studios

Elitist Epi LPs>>> Gibson LP standards

Gibson is a joke

You're the funniest guy i've ever met. Even if its just over an internet connection. Im beginning to suspect that most people flaming gibson are younglings who can't afford one. The same way as geeks hate bimbo's. They fon't really hate them. They just can't get them.
                ^

I have to agree, Epi's are good guitars. I'm going to look into that new LP standard plain top. Epi seems to be turning out some kick ass new guitars this year!

I may just have to buy one if I like it.
                My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
                Washburn D10s Acoustic
                Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
                Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
                ^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
                ^ Xenn fav MG user evar
                My Epiphone Dot is the bees.

I'd not 'upgrade' to a Gibson, even if I ahd the cash, I don't like the mane. 'Gibson', uurgh, it sounds wrong to me.
                Heh. That's why I'm going to pay $300 for the new Epi '57 LP Junior Reissue rather than spend $650 for the same thing with 'Gibson' on a different spot on the headstock.

I'm looking at an Epi LP standard too.

Epi has released some kick ass gear for this year (dammit...I hate accidentally rhyming)
                My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
                Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
                ^ Xenn fav MG user evar
                Yeah ive got an epi LP Stanard and it sounds great with stock pups and it feels great, and why are all you epi. haters freakin out when you hear that it has an alder center it just brighten ups the tone.
                Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
                Quote by guitarforever<3
                You're the funniest guy i've ever met. Even if its just over an internet connection. Im beginning to suspect that most people flaming gibson are younglings who can't afford one. The same way as geeks hate bimbo's. They fon't really hate them. They just can't get them.

0wneD!
                Quote by Ippon
                0wneD!

Lol, i hope that wasn't sarcastic or i misimpreted it! Coz thats the veryt first time someone has agreed with me! ah, the hapiness

Anyway, i aslo have an epiphone, although its a les paul custom. Its great, and except for me not liking the pups, its a superb guitar.
                i was always a bigger strat fan than gibson...

but i still wanted an LP for my collection, so epi lp studio made sense for me.
                ive taken mine apart, and i can tell u the electronics and all the hardware arent what they should be.
                but it plays very nice, and is definately worth the money.
                Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
                Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

How are the Epi Goths? They say they have mahogany bodies...
                My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
                Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
                ^ Xenn fav MG user evar
                can u link one so i can see the specs?
                Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EpiphoneGothLesPaulStudioElectricGuitar?sku=517233

Mahogany body and neck...Doesn't say anything about alder.

Edit: I looked at the rest of them as well-All of them (SG, Explorer, Flying V) have mahogany bodies and necks, but instead of the rosewood fretboard on the LP they have ebony fretboards.
                My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
                Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
                ^ Xenn fav MG user evar
                Last edited by Xenn99 at May 20, 2006,
                Quote by Ihearthetfield
                Epi LP standard>>> Gibson LP studios

Elitist Epi LPs>>> Gibson LP standards

Gibson is a joke

That took it a little too far. An Elitist can compete with a Studio, not a Standard.

Quote by Ihearthetfield
                there's nothing wrong with alder why are you guys being all "omfg Mahogany is the best"

play a 70s strat reissue and tell me alder is a bad tonewood

Alder is a good match for single coils, because it isn't a dark sounding wood, and singles sound best on a bright sounding wood.. Mohoghany is good with humbuckers, because it coliments the darker side of humbuckers.
                In a bar room brawl
                Loves a winner to fall
                Last edited by StratRat13 at May 20, 2006,
                ^Studio and standard are basically the same. I think the only difference is different pickups and lack of binding on the Studio.
                My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
                Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
                ^ Xenn fav MG user evar
                Quote by Xenn99
                http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EpiphoneGothLesPaulStudioElectricGuitar?sku=517233

Mahogany body and neck...Doesn't say anything about alder.

Yes I noticed that and Epi's site says all mahogany also, so Im having a hard ime deciding between this Goth and an Agile. I like the finished I can get on the Agile better but I like the real LP horn shape on the Goth better.

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=36&CollectionID=5

^^ It says available with Floyd ROse In parenthesis, Anybody know if its a real or licensed??
                the thing i dont like about the goths, and why they are about a hundred less, is that they are REALLY no frills.
                no covers, no binding, pretty plain.

i dont think ur gaining squat wt pure mahogany. if that was the case the plain top and goth would cost the most.

the alder core makes for a nice guitar.
                Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Xenn99
                ^Studio and standard are basically the same. I think the only difference is different pickups and lack of binding on the Studio.

The Binding makes the guitar ALOT sturdier, and the pickups are a very nice improvement. Also the cosmetics are different. In my opinion, I see a big difference between Standards and Studios.
                In a bar room brawl
                Loves a winner to fall
                Quote by CustomCustom
                Yes I noticed that and Epi's site says all mahogany also, so Im having a hard ime deciding between this Goth and an Agile. I like the finished I can get on the Agile better but I like the real LP horn shape on the Goth better.

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=36&CollectionID=5

^^ It says available with Floyd ROse In parenthesis, Anybody know if its a real or licensed??

The FR on the goth models are not too good ones. Abtou the same as the ones on the damein(schecter).

^i agree strat
                I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
                Yes I agree a maple top adds the seer and sizzle to a LP's tone, Ive never played a carved top mahogany so cant comment on tones. But the Goth is $299, a Standard is $379 with maple top right now, and an Agile with nice flamed top can be had for $199 so its hard not to ocnsider the Agile.

Are the Epi necks thicker or thinner than the standard 21 - 23mm Agile neck (not the slim taper 17-21mm available on the AL_3000)?
                I *think* Epi necks have the slim taper. The Standards I've tried have had amazingly comfortable necks.

StratRat, do you really see a $1000 difference between the Studio and Standard? I don't. I also can't understand how Gibson can justify charging so much for their name. Yeah, you get a nice guitar, but how much is the guitar really worth? The Epi Elitist LP Standard has all the same specs as the Gibson one, yet you can get an Elitist for less than $1000. The Gibson is at least $2200. You have to admit that you're paying a huge amount for the name to be in a different spot on the headstock.
                My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
                Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
                ^ Xenn fav MG user evar
                Last edited by Xenn99 at May 20, 2006,
                i Don't know about the epis, but arent the maple tops on agiles pretty poor except for on the 3500 which have 3/4 maple top?
                ^Up to the AL-3500, all of them have 1/16 in. maple tops. I think it's the same for most Epis.
                My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
                Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
                ^ Xenn fav MG user evar
                The Epi's to really consider besides Elitist are:

JP boneyard, with burstbuckers, mahog neck and body http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=229&CollectionID=6

Ace Frehely with 3 Dimarzio Super Distortions, played nice I tried one at Ed Romans on vaca in Vegas, he had like 5.
                http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=52&CollectionID=6

And the LP standard Plain TOp, a new model looks like an Elitist but all mahog construction.
                http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=266&CollectionID=6

I thought the necks on the Zakk were way too fat and way overpriced for a paintjob
                Last edited by CustomCustom at May 20, 2006,
                Quote by Xenn99
                I *think* Epi necks have the slim taper. The Standards I've tried have had amazingly comfortable necks.

StratRat, do you really see a $1000 difference between the Studio and Standard? I don't. I also can't understand how Gibson can justify charging so much for their name. Yeah, you get a nice guitar, but how much is the guitar really worth? The Epi Elitist LP Standard has all the same specs as the Gibson one, yet you can get an Elitist for less than $1000. The Gibson is at least $2200. You have to admit that you're paying a huge amount for the name to be in a different spot on the headstock.

I dont see a $1000 dollar difference, but I see a difference. And yes I hate the prices on Gibsons, just because it is a ton more than it should be. But they know that there will be people willing to buy their guitars, so they keep the price up.As for me I like Fender, affordable, and filled with tone.
                In a bar room brawl
                Loves a winner to fall
                StratRat...you like...Strats?

I never, ever would have suspected that! It's like a well kept secret.

CustomCustom, I like the look of that new plain-top standard. I'm going to have to go try one out sometime.
                My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
                Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
                ^ Xenn fav MG user evar
                Page 1 of 2