ok so i havnt been doing sclaes around the neck like i should...but now im starting to work on it. My only question is since you have no open strings in the higher frets do you just put your index on lets say the 5th fret then the next finger and then your index goes to the next string 5th fret(it kinda looks like the fingers are all walking), or do you just barre the fret and do the scale like that?
My old sig sucked
im not sure what you mean, i try to stick to a 1 finger per fret rule, unless its a scale that calls for a big streach..anyway

if your playing the major scale...i start the root not off with my 2nd finger..then use my pink finger for the next note, then the 1st,2nd,4th then 1st 3rd 4th...thats just the 1st ovtave of the scale tho.....i totally forgot what i was originaly gonna say
Equipment:

Schecter 007 BlackJack
schecter c7 hellraiser
ibanez k7
Krank Revolution one stack
Tech 21 Trademark 30
Digitech Whammy Pedal
tech 21 killer wail
Im not too sure what you're trying to ask, but the open string exists at 12th fret. Its the same as an open note. And about scales, you dont barre them and strum them, you gently move ur fingers (like walking ur said?), going down/up thru the frets. Barring and picking it one by one without letting other rings also is a form of scaling-arpeggiating.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
You can do it either way but i find it way easier to do it without the whole bar thing.
^ ^^sorry if my explaination was to confusing....let me try to tell you a little better.
take like the c major scale staring on the fifth fret it would be <fret wise>

now there are no open strings and each string starts off on the 5th fret. Im asking if i just barre that fret instead of moving my index finder to the next string everytime.
My old sig sucked
Depends on what you're doing actually, most scales if you want to solo, you go one by one, means that by your 'term', the index is moving every strings. If you try to barre it, and play 1 by 1, this is called arpeggiating. Arpeggios means broken chord, so basically if you're barring and plucking it one by one on each string, you're simple arpeggiating a chord (cminor in ur case).

Arpeggiating is different from chording coz you pluck it 1 by 1 and after you pluck a string, you mute it, by your fretting hand preferably. Arpeggiated chord are best to do with sweeping technique and played fast for it to be really nice sounding. This is for advanced players and rising beginners.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at May 20, 2006,
Quote by lsatrarcyy
^ ^^sorry if my explaination was to confusing....let me try to tell you a little better.
take like the c major scale staring on the fifth fret it would be <fret wise>

now there are no open strings and each string starts off on the 5th fret. Im asking if i just barre that fret instead of moving my index finder to the next string everytime.

DO NOT barre the scale
scales are for movement and soloing patterns if you barre the scale yhou can not move freely, you should walk from string to string

edit: barring an arpeggio is fine but not a general scale, you should move freely move from string to string
Last edited by backinblack111 at May 20, 2006,
Quote by lsatrarcyy
ok so i havnt been doing sclaes around the neck like i should...but now im starting to work on it. My only question is since you have no open strings in the higher frets do you just put your index on lets say the 5th fret then the next finger and then your index goes to the next string 5th fret(it kinda looks like the fingers are all walking), or do you just barre the fret and do the scale like that?

I understand perfectly what you're asking, and the answer is, learn to do both. While the barre way of doing it might be easier, the other one is more common. So the fingers "walk" over the fret board. I remember i thought it very daunting doing it like that in the beginning, but just take it slow and you get used to it

Edit: I didn't have to read the explanation because im much smarter hehe. . seriously though, i asked my guitar teacher the very same reason when i started scaling.
Last edited by guitarforever<3 at May 20, 2006,