I am planing on buying a Schecter Damien FR, and I like tuning downto Drop D and standard. If I took the nut off and put on Sperzel locking tuners, will it stay in tune while I play the FR???
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
I think whether you lock the strings with a nut or some tuners, tuning down to D will still send all the other strings sharp, because you're still lowering string tension. If you want to tune down to D you could set up the trem as down only, or get one of those trem-stabilisers (people have mixed views on these though). The tremelno is for sale now, so that might be an option.

EDIT: Oops I misunderstood the question Ignore the above post.
EDIT 2: Ok I accidentally made a good point, do listen to it.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Last edited by marmoseti at May 21, 2006,
It would, as long as you don't have too much friction at the nut. A graphtech or roller nut should keep it in tune.
I have a Floyd on one of my Strats, I have Schaller locking tuners and a Graphtch nut. No problems with tuning stability so far. I also don't dive bomb all the time though.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by marmoseti
I think whether you lock the strings with a nut or some tuners, tuning down to D will still send all the other strings sharp, because you're still lowering string tension. If you want to tune down to D you could set up the trem as down only, or get one of those trem-stabilisers (people have mixed views on these though). The tremelno is for sale now, so that might be an option.

EDIT: Oops I misunderstood the question Ignore the above post.

don't ignore that, that's a very good point. If your trem is floating, whether you have a locking nut or locking tuners, you're gonna have to rebalance the trem for retuning.

Which is more time consuming than unlocking a locking nut, which you were concerned about...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just mount the floyd flush against the body ala EVH- that will solve all of your tuning problems.
well first of all, the locking nut is alot bigger than a standard nut so youre gonna have a big chunk of wood missing in your headstock, but heres the answer to your problem

D-tuna, as found on the EVH wolfgang peaveys
i dont know exactly where to get one, but you mount in where the fine tuner is on your low e, and you just flip it down and you go down to d
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
^ yep.

or not so much only fit, but only work.

and the trem has to be non floating (since you could technically set up a non-recessed trem to float a little.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?