Alrighty folks... I was drawn to these two pedals as the MXR was used by Randy Rhoads (my guitar hero) and the SD-1 used by Eddie Van Halen (my other guitar hero). I want to know which would be best for playing Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Hard Rock, and a little bit of Metallica-esque metal. What are the main differences, pros/cons etc.? Are there other pedals more suiting what I may be looking for (as long as it isn't digitech or zoom thank you )?

thanks in advance
The SD1 is an overdrive pedal, it works best for boosting an allready dirty tube amp. On its own it doesn't get much heavier than AC/DC.

As for the MXR...well it hasm't got any tone control which is my main gripe with it. It does have a pretty Randy Rhoadsesque sound.

my reccomendation: a ProCo Rat. That tone control adds a lot of versatility.
I can get some nice general rock sounds with it, as well pretty sweet early metallica sound.
they both good dont get em cuz a certain artisit uses it.i have the ds1 and its ok but its not great for metal.plus i got it cuz the guy at GC said it was like the best and my dad believed him i wanted mxr but my dad bought the ds1 b4 i could find it in the store.
yeah... I'm not getting it JUST because someone I know uses it, but rather that's what introduced them to me. I have a transtube so it seems the overdrive should be the most versatile (i can just turn the gain on and the overdrive pretty much turns to distortion right?).

And about how much do the RATs go for (and should they be at a shop like guitar center or Sam Ash music)? The DeuceTone and the Rat 2 look amazing but really expensive. (I couldn't find them on musiciansfriend.com )

btw, some of the main band "styles" I play now are:

- Ozzy (RR stuff)
- Van Halen
- AC/DC
- RHCP
- Metallica
- Some classical stuff (like Steve Howe) but not much
well heres the Rat 2: http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRCRAT2

I think you should be able to find one in said stores.

The boosting an allready overdriven amp thing applies only for tube amps. As with solid states and hybrids it doesn't tend to work out well. The Boss SD1 is like their cheapest pedal though, but most people prefer the Ibanez Tubescreamers for boosting whereas the Boss (which is practically the same circuit except for assymetrical clipping and a couple of parts differences) sounds better on its own for overdrive sounds.
in your opinion, is the DeuceTone worth 174.95 USD? (137.19 pounds)
Last edited by rayIII at May 20, 2006,
^It's just two Rats in one really...I'd say no.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
so... which is best.. 1 or 2?

EDIT:

all right, what (from this list) is the most versatile?

- Boss SD-1
- MXR Distortion +
- Rat
- Rat 2
no, the sd-1 really wont get you any distortion
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...
Just for the record, the sd-1 is only going to give you a light overdrive alot of the heavier players that use them actually use them to boost the front end of an already distorted tube amp.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
So would the sound pretty much turn to mush if you put it infront of an solid state's dirty channel?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
So would the sound pretty much turn to mush if you put it infront of an solid state's dirty channel?

You'll only notice a slight change in tone- its really not worth it with a SS amp. I have mine in front of a JCM 800 now and its amazing, but in front of my MG 15 it was garbage. I'd go with a distortion pedal or the Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion because that works pretty well in my experience with SS amps.
Random question but when in his career did Eddie use an SD-1? I always thought he was straight into the amp but then again I'm not too up to snuff on his setup after he changed to the 5150(the music by then was garbage,aaarrgghh!).
Quote by Shwayman11
You'll only notice a slight change in tone- its really not worth it with a SS amp. I have mine in front of a JCM 800 now and its amazing, but in front of my MG 15 it was garbage. I'd go with a distortion pedal or the Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion because that works pretty well in my experience with SS amps.
Thanks for that explanation.

So if I put an SD-1 infront of my Cube, I wouldn't much difference in terms of tone, but what about volume? I need something that I can use at the moment do I give me a bit of a boost (a bit more umph) for solos and leads and then continue to use when I upgrade to a tube amp in the near future.

And sorry for hi-jacking your thread, threadstarter, but this question has been burning on my mind for several days.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700