Hello guys, i just had two quick questions:

1. The gibson les paul smell. Why do they smell so funny? I love the smell by the way. When i take my gibson out of the case to play, i can sit there for minutes just sniffing the guitar lol. ALl the gibsons ive tried have smelled the same way. What is it?

2. In the guitar case, there's this small brown bag that followed with the guitar. What is it? Its like its sand inside, except the corns are really big compared to beach sand.
Quote by guitarforever<3

1. The gibson les paul smell. Why do they smell so funny? I love the smell by the way. When i take my gibson out of the case to play, i can sit there for minutes just sniffing the guitar lol. ALl the gibsons ive tried have smelled the same way. What is it?

2. In the guitar case, there's this small brown bag that followed with the guitar. What is it? Its like its sand inside, except the corns are really big compared to beach sand.

as for the smell...i'm not sure...combo of the wood..finish...metal used..etc.

and as for the brown bag it keeps moisture and humidity outa the case so the guitar is kept protected. they put these in the pockets of cloths alot to to keep them from ruining to soon from just sitting in the elements.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
The smell is probably from the glue used in the case. My Washburn Hardcase has a smell to it, and the guitar also has the smell when I take it out.

And remember kids, sniffing glue is a no-no.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
But shouldn't this be in all cases if that was the case? Coz my acoustic case doesn't smell a thing. Or it smells if you really sniff, but its not as strong as the smell from my gibson by a long shot. I really don't think its the glue. It smells nothing like glue. Its a pretty sweet smell, like candy or something..

And thanks
Hm...mine has a sweeter smell-not like candy, more like rubber with the smell of the mahogany and spruce from the acoustic mixed in.

Your case may smell more because it's new. The smell would probably go away as time goes by. That may be the case with your acoustic.

Other than the glue, I don't know what he smell could be. Maybe the stain/finish on the guitar?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
My case has that smell, I like it. It is usually on the ones with the furrish type material in them.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
sometimes its a vanilla, or woodchip mix.
or u might get some silicon packets for humidity control.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by guitarforever<3

You could be my long lost brother. I do that every time I take out my SG. Mmm, fresh nitrocellulose.

I think the little bag is some kind of dessicant to keep any moisture away from the guitar itself. Could be wrong though.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

lmao so you actually smell your guitar before you play it?

this calls for a new slogan or something : don't do cocaine, do guitars!

anyway, it's probably the smell of wood and finish.
lol my gibson flying v has that smell! i know what ur talkin about! i love it! the smell comes from the brown bag
Quote by Teleprompters
smell>tone IMO

no..........smell=tone
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Might be the smell of humidity control thing.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by Teleprompters
Quote by V12prowler
no..........smell=tone
yes, i recently heard in an article somewhere that Sqiuer actually has its employees diarrhea all over every guitar right before they leave the factory

This is definately sigworthy
The little Brown Bag has silica gel in it. It isn't actually gel, but it just absorbs all the moisture in the case. Good for the Geet'r

Heres what it is:
Quote by Dudage
The little Brown Bag has silica gel in it. It isn't actually gel, but it just absorbs all the moisture in the case. Good for the Geet'r

Heres what it is:

Okay thanks. Does it ever expire though?
lol i like how new stuff smells. Guitars smell the same when they are in a new case for some time
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
in my rg1570 ibanez case smells weird also... and i put my whole or half of my body or not even, but i put my face in there and i was like.........muhaaa *sex with case* lol
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.