There are some crazy bends going on in bar 10-11 of Vai's Blue Powder, and advice the book gives is to "pull string of[f] fretboard towards back of guitar neck for bends". This doesn't help me though, because I have no idea what the **** they mean - how do you bend a string towards the back of a neck?! The note is on the b string, and I can bend it past the e-string and past the end of the neck, but this only raises the pitch 4 semitones (aka frets, steps) up, and Vai is apparently bending up 23!

Help needed, I'm sure someone out there can play Blue Powder and knows how to do this ****? Or maybe someone doesn't know the song, but knows how to bend up 23 frets? Maybe someone can explain what "pull string off fretboard" means?
yer pull the string down (if its on the e, b or g string) or up (if its on the D, A, or E string) until its goes past the edge of the fretboard...

the string should sort of hook around the edge of the neck and create a higher note
I don't hear very many upward bends that early in blue powder, the largest being a minor third I think. Sounds like a misprint to me, it's probably supposed to be either 2 or 3. I'm 99% sure that the those bends are with the bar also, judging from the sound, and knowing Vai's style. There's also a lot of octave shifting that happens on pedals in that song.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Instead of bending the string up towards you, pull it off the fretboard and flutter the whammy bar.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Ok I did the 23 step bend, thanks guys. For anyone who's interested, you just have to bend the string ridiculously far, past the width of the fretboard and then some. This one's on the b string, so you'll need to take the e string with it, otherwise you won't be able to bend it far enough.
Quote by Corwinoid
I don't hear very many upward bends that early in blue powder, the largest being a minor third I think. Sounds like a misprint to me, it's probably supposed to be either 2 or 3. I'm 99% sure that the those bends are with the bar also, judging from the sound, and knowing Vai's style. There's also a lot of octave shifting that happens on pedals in that song.

A vai fan, eh?

Your ears are right - it just doesnt sound like a bend, because he pulls it over the fretboard. Sounds more like superfast whammy and slide or tap and whammy or whatever....

It's done with an off the fretboard bend, as kris discovered. My guitar is neat in that i can get a perfect C if i do that because my 20th fret sticks out a little from the board.
^ Not really, I'm not opposed to it, but I wouldn't call myself a 'fan' either

Established composers/songwriters/bands/etc generally have a particular sound to their writing; they develop a set of tricks and effects that's pretty distinguishable in how they write and play.

You can, generally, listen to Mozart and have a really good idea that you're listening to Mozart, even if it's something you've never heard before; you can listen to Wagner and if you can't tell it's Wagner you're deaf. You can listen to the first five seconds of something you've never heard before, and generally have a pretty good idea what band it is. Etc...

Vai likes his bar, and his octave pedals, and it stands out, so without looking at the music, I pretty much attributed to that.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club