Page 1 of 2
YYZ
1,437 IQ
What does everyone think of him? Awesome or no? He's probably one of my favourite guitarists of the last few years (that's in an active band right now, not solo act shredders or anything). I just love basically aything he has ever done. He has some of the coolest riffs i've ever heard, his solo's are fantastic, even the ballads like "The Sorrowed Man" are ****en sweet.

I also have a question to, in the song The Holocaust Of Thought, is it Loomis playing the solo or Smyth?
Frobbage
32 IQ
The Holocaust of Thought features James Murphy, ex- Death, Testament, Obituary, among others.

And yes, Loomis owns.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Loomis rocks man.

I can't ever get enough of the Psalm of Lydia.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
YYZ
1,437 IQ
Quote by Frobbage
The Holocaust of Thought features James Murphy, ex- Death, Testament, Obituary, among others.

And yes, Loomis owns.

Ok, I remember reading ex-testament guitarist somewhere and just figured it was Smyth.

Psalm Of Lydia is awesome. My favourite part of that song for some reason is just that nice litte palm muted riff. I really dig the song This Godless Endeavour right now, the riff at the end leading into the glorius sweeps. Love it.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
there's a nevermore thread only in the metal forums
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Yea but it's Jeff Loomis, I'd keep it open if I was a mod, it's technically not Nevermore.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
and why u people make a flaming war when i post a thread about a certain guitarist ?
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

[[Hell Yeah]]
paddyo
?
340 IQ
Quote by Erc
^ Because we hate you, I thought we made that apparant 0_o

On topic, Jeff Loomis is nifty.

haha
True

And the word nifty rocks!
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
SGRocker0791
Banned
462 IQ
Jeff Loomis = ownage. His is a very, very skilled guitarist. Even though his tone sucks now since using Krank IMO.
SGRocker0791
Banned
462 IQ
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7
there's a nevermore thread only in the metal forums

There's no ONLY thread for Nevermore.
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b
363 IQ
Jeff Loomis spanks some serious ass....
Some of his stuff is so damn cool, like people have said Psalm Of Lydia..I can't help but love that song..man he pwns
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
^Seriously, I think if you don't like The Psalm of Lydia there's something wrong in your head.

Quote by Evil_Empire24-7
and why u people make a flaming war when i post a thread about a certain guitarist ?
Haven't you noticed that half the threads in the Shred forum turn into a flame war with noobs?

And it almost never has anything to do with the topic of the thread.

And, I'll have to agree with Paddyo that Erc's post was hilarious btw.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7

Because it seems like everytime a guitarists name pops in your head, you decide to make a thread on it... which is usually:

*artist name*

What u think???

Or an equally vague poll, which just makes people want to say nasty things about you on the internet.
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Erc
UG's ultimate asshole
670 IQ
Or an equally vague poll, which just makes people want to say nasty things about you on the internet.

I actually el oh eled on that one =)

And to be honest, I've never actually heard Psalm of Lydia =\

Mainly because I never bought "The Godless Endeavor" for what is really a religious reason. (If you are curious why, its because I try not to support albums/artists that are so balatant about its atheism)
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Quote by Erc

Mainly because I never bought "The Godless Endeavor" for what is really a religious reason. (If you are curious why, its because I try not to support albums/artists that are so balatant about its atheism)

hmmm, well, I can respect that.

I'm religious, but the way I look at it, it's just music, as long as you don't make it a way of life, I see no problem.

For example, Steve Harris leads a heavily religious lifestyle, he attends church as regularly as he can. If any of you don't know, he's Maiden's bassist, so his music doesn't really reflect his lifestyle.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b
363 IQ
^^Dave Mustaine also found god....and you wouldn't think so, he still performs holy wars which is weird, with the line
"Killing for religion, something I don't understand"
but goes to show you.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Well, that song's about war, particularly the nonstop conflict in the Middle East.

Basically, I believe that by just listening to an Un-Christian band doesn't make you Un-Christian as well. Their religion is their business. Granted, if it's extreme (like a Dark Funeral concert or something), I try to avoid it, but for the most part, hinting here and there doesn't really bother me.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by Erc

That I really really really really really don't get.

Way to promote tolerance.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
Yeah... Eric, I don't understand that one either.
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
YYZ
1,437 IQ
Oh, I just put the thread in here because I wanted to talk about Jeff Loomis, not Nevermore. Since he's a shredder I stuck it in here.
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole
670 IQ
That I really really really really really don't get.

Yeah... Eric, I don't understand that one either.

That's okay, you don't have to.

But there are people in this world are very impressionable, they copy what their idols do, they are easily influenced by the music they listen to, the movies they watch, the books they read etc. Everyone is impressionable, some less then others. I know that my opinions would not be changed by listening to a CD with atheistic or satanic views. But there are people out there that would only be bombarding themselves with a message that I find to be not true. Sure its a small part, and not doing much really, saves me a few bucks anyways, but you have to start somewhere. Is my decision morally correct? I think most certainly so.

Then arises the question, would someone else be right if they refuse to support "Christian" themed bands based on the fact that they are spreading a message they disagree with? Well then comes deeper questions.

With the rise of secularism, atheism, and agnostic theology there is also a rise in relativism and nihilism. The question arises...if you are athiestic or agnostic, are morals relative to you? If there isn't an outlining "good book" ,so to speak, of morals, then what defines right from wrong? With this mentality it would be you, and thus you come to the conclusion, if you can decide what is right and what is wrong (Post-Modernism), you are now a "god." This is something we call "New-Age theology."

But assuming that we all have some basic "morals" that we agree one, like love is good, hate is bad (which is apparant in libertarianism, striving for tolerance and equality among all mind-sets) [ on a side note, a libertarianism mind-set is a complete jokes with glaring impossible contradictions] we can come to the conclusion that with the non-supportive attitude of a message about love and sacrafice (Christian message) and the support of a message of the polar opposite, often with a hateful and selfish attitude, (atheism) then the advocate of anti-chrisitanity is indeed in the "wrong area" morally.

Of course now we start running in circles around moral truth and whether truth is relative and what not, which is something we arn't going to do.

Tolerance is destroying morale america. As you can tell, I am very much against Post-Modernism. Truth and morality is NOT RELATIVE. There is truth, there is right and wrong, and it is defined by God's word.

btw erc, do you hate gay people?

Why should I hate gay people? I do not approve of the "gay lifestyle" one bit. I am very against it, but I do not hate gays.
PooKoo
UG Spammer
662 IQ
Ok, i was just wondering as you seem one of "those" types, i understand you not being for a certain lifestyle, but i couldnt possibly respect anyone who would think any less of a race, religion, or type of people for no reason other then prejudice.

Not trying to argue with your beliefs at all, i was just curious.

and im not saying i dont respect you. Well , maybe a little less, but eh.
Last edited by PooKoo at May 21, 2006,
LedZeppelin
2,316 IQ
Quote by Erc

...This Godless Endeavor isn't blatantly about atheism...
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Erc's long ass post ftw!
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Yes, he said it well.

Btw, I made this a topic in the Religion thread in the Pit a little earlier today.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

LedZeppelin
2,316 IQ
The only hole in Erc's argument is in the fact that people who are atheists/agnostics are not necessarily abusive of their belief that there is no higher power, just as not all Christians are abusive of their belief that they are "in the right," so to speak, in terms of morals. Post-modernism is a bad thing, but I know many atheists/agnostics who simply abide by a personal code of morals. Erc's point of view lumps all non-believers into a mindset which is unintentionally (on Erc's part, it seems) arrogant. Truth can exist without God for non-believers; for Christians, we simply believe that truth comes from God, whether atheists or agnostics believe it or not.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole
670 IQ
Erc's point of view lumps all non-believers into a mindset which is unintentionally (on Erc's part, it seems) arrogant

Elaborate on that.

The only hole in Erc's argument is in the fact that people who are atheists/agnostics are not necessarily abusive of their belief that there is no higher power, just as not all Christians are abusive of their belief that they are "in the right," so to speak, in terms of morals.

Elaborate on what you mean by "abusive." People who do not have a moral guide for their life make up their own. They pick and choose what they like, abandon those they dislike. That would be abuse right there.

Truth can exist without God for non-believers; for Christians, we simply believe that truth comes from God, whether atheists or agnostics believe it or not.

In this statement are you saying there are multiple "truths?" Since you refer the Christians as "we" I assume you call yourself one(correct me if I'm wrong) But how can you say such a statement when..

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

I would like to mention that Christians are no better then anybody else. We sin just as much, we fail just as much and we fall short of the law just as much. The only thing that seperates us is that we have accepted the gift of salvation. Christianity is a faith based religion, not works based.

edit -->
but I know many atheists/agnostics who simply abide by a personal code of morals.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. They create they own moral laws, pick and choose. I'm not saying that everyone who is atheistic is new-age, but new-age is getting to be a common end result these days. If you reject God, you think you are better then God. There is no way around that.
Last edited by Erc at May 21, 2006,
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole
670 IQ
Correct.

Christianity is the ONLY faith based religion. (Judiasm I suppose can count to, since after the destruction of the temple, and in result, animal sacrafice, the emphasis of personal relationship with God was hightened due to the rising of synagouges. This happenes a couple hundred years before Jesus came. Thelogians look at it as the time that God eased the transaction from Judiasm and what would later be called Christianity.)

All other religions have some sort of "status quota" you must maintain (pray this many times a day, sacrafice this much a day, do this many good deeds to up your karma etc.)
PooKoo
UG Spammer
662 IQ
Quote by Erc
Correct.

Christianity is the ONLY faith based religion. (Judiasm I suppose can count to, since after the destruction of the temple, and in result, animal sacrafice, the emphasis of personal relationship with God was hightened due to the rising of synagouges. This happenes a couple hundred years before Jesus came. Thelogians look at it as the time that God eased the transaction from Judiasm and what would later be called Christianity.)

All other religions have some sort of "status quota" you must maintain (pray this many times a day, sacrafice this much a day, do this many good deeds to up your karma etc.)

ok, that makes sense, i just misunderstood you i suppose.

I'm of the belief that jesus loved everyone, even those who did not follow him, and wanted men to follow his teachings, and not so much his every word. I know it doesnt say that word for word in the bible, but meh, thats faith for ya right? (no not really, but still)
I do believe in jesus, and god, and i follow the teachings of him and of all major religions, that to love your brother and be a good person, etc etc. I pray a lot, almost every night, and although i dont have a strict religion, i feel that i am a good enough person usually, and that is enough for me. I am not an athiest, and im not sure what agnostic is, but im probably not one.

So i dont want to get on you for what you think, just want peace, k?
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
is this thread about religions or about JEFF LOOMIS ?
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

[[Hell Yeah]]
tupperware03x
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by Erc

But there are people in this world are very impressionable, they copy what their idols do, they are easily influenced by the music they listen to, the movies they watch, the books they read etc. Everyone is impressionable, some less then others. I know that my opinions would not be changed by listening to a CD with atheistic or satanic views. But there are people out there that would only be bombarding themselves with a message that I find to be not true. Sure its a small part, and not doing much really, saves me a few bucks anyways, but you have to start somewhere. Is my decision morally correct? I think most certainly so.

I'm not even going to bother with the fact you won't buy cd's that are blatantly atheistic or satanic. As an individual, it's your choice to pick what you listen too. Whether it be Skrewdriver, or Gang Starr, in the end it's just up to the listener to decide.

But there's one thing in your statement I'm not 100% clear on, and the parts I do understand I don't agree with.

"But there are people out there that would only be bombarding themselves with a message that I find to be not true."

Are you saying that by not buying a certain CD you're limiting the number of people that can be influenced by the artists message? If so, how exactly does that work? I'll touch on the thing I don't agree with later, it's all throughout your response.

Quote by Erc
Then arises the question, would someone else be right if they refuse to support "Christian" themed bands based on the fact that they are spreading a message they disagree with? Well then comes deeper questions.

Refusing to purchase music because of it's Christian values is no different than what you're doing. It's simply supporting what you believe in.

Quote by Erc
With the rise of secularism, atheism, and agnostic theology there is also a rise in relativism and nihilism. The question arises...if you are athiestic or agnostic, are morals relative to you? If there isn't an outlining "good book" ,so to speak, of morals, then what defines right from wrong? With this mentality it would be you, and thus you come to the conclusion, if you can decide what is right and what is wrong (Post-Modernism), you are now a "god." This is something we call "New-Age theology."

True. However, your "good book" wasn't written by "god" himself. In reality, you're living by some men's morals, which have been revised and translated thousands of times. What exactly makes your morals any better than an Atheist's or a Satanist's?

Quote by Erc
But assuming that we all have some basic "morals" that we agree one, like love is good, hate is bad (which is apparant in libertarianism, striving for tolerance and equality among all mind-sets) [ on a side note, a libertarianism mind-set is a complete jokes with glaring impossible contradictions] we can come to the conclusion that with the non-supportive attitude of a message about love and sacrafice (Christian message) and the support of a message of the polar opposite, often with a hateful and selfish attitude, (atheism) then the advocate of anti-chrisitanity is indeed in the "wrong area" morally.

You bring up a good point here. But I can't help but wonder, have you even researched Satanism? I was on SB-C and there was some ****up goth kid talking about Satanism. Naturally, I did some reasearch so I could get right to the facts.

Contraty to popular belief, Satanism isn't about hate, and worshipping satan. It's about embrassing our natural instincts, and our freedom not as humans, but animals on this planet.

There are so many different kinds of satanism, so I'm sure there are some that focus on hate and selfishness. But look at it this way. Satanism is like smoking weed. There's the guys who smoke for fun, and know how to keep themselves from slipping, and then there's the guys who smoke too much and get stupid. The guys that keep themselves from slipping should represent it, not the **** ups. I try and apply that thinking to most things in life.

On an ending note, I know I said I'd touch on something in the very beginning of my post.

All throughout your post, I got the feeling that you believed you were superior to all who disagreed with you, and that you're right for believing what you do. It's fine to believe you're right, but you're not any better than anyone else. There's nothing wrong with having religion as somethign to live by, but if you make it into something you feel superior about, well then you'd be a part of the pot head ****ups I mentioned before