Hey, I've always had a small solid state, but after playing some tube amps at guitar center, I've decided to upgrade. I would like some recomendations of nice tube amps, probobly under or around 600$ US. Thanks for any help, it will be appreciated.
I play rock, hard rock, classic rock, and a little metal.
Traynor YCV series
Peavey Classic series (probably lacking a bit of gain)
Peavey XXX (probably just the right amount of gain for you)
Peavey Valveking (I'm not really too impressed by them but try them anyway)
Laney LC series (probably wont find one in the US)
$350 for a used Peavey Classic 30.
$150 for a used but high end OD pedal
$100 for a Eminence Governor

Quote by seljer
Traynor YCV series
Peavey Classic series (probably lacking a bit of gain)
Peavey XXX (probably just the right amount of gain for you)
Peavey Valveking (I'm not really too impressed by them but try them anyway)
Laney LC series (probably wont find one in the US)

Would This Be that amp?
Also, I've always heard good things about mesas. Could I get a decent one in my price range? ( I do like how that peavy XXX looks, I'll make sure I try it out, and some of the others you reccomended)
Last edited by yorkshireterror at May 20, 2006,
No.

Unless you score big time and completely jip someone, you're not going to get a good Mesa with $600.

There was a XXX 40 FX for around $500 a while ago - it was a sale by MF, don't know if it's still up.
Quote by yorkshireterror
Would This Be that amp?
Also, I've always heard good things about mesas. Could I get a decent one in my price range? ( I do like how that peavy XXX looks, I'll make sure I try it out, and some of the others you reccomended)

If you're lucky you might be able to get a used Mesa Boogie F30

Mesas are not cheap amps

Otherwise check http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/ for reviews on amps in general
Quote by seljer
If you're lucky you might be able to get a used Mesa Boogie F30

Mesas are not cheap amps

Otherwise check http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/ for reviews on amps in general

Thanks I'll look at some amp reviews on there
Quote by Mascot
No.

Unless you score big time and completely jip someone, you're not going to get a good Mesa with $600.

There was a XXX 40 FX for around $500 a while ago - it was a sale by MF, don't know if it's still up.

Yeah, thats what I thought... Too bad that sale isnt still up, that woulda been nice.
Maybe this one?

it will get you some great clean and rock tones, add an OD for some hardrock. won't do metal tones really but everybody always says they need a metal amp with everything else under the sun. Such an amp doesn't exist that can do everything great, you must pick your battles.