I've been playing guitar for around 6 years so I do have a basic idea of how things play.. I want to get a bass just to mess around on, would also hopefully make my right hand much stronger and improve my fingerstyle skills which I can transfer to acoustic etc.. also I think itd improve my timing and "groove" on guitar Anyway.. I dont know wether I should just go for a 5 string, so theres the versatility. Seem to be a bit rarer though, so not as easy to find on ebay etc. What do you think? Also, need recomendations for a good cheap practise amp, I've been recommended a roland bass cube..

Cheers!
I'd just stick to a 4 string dude. A standard Fender Pbass is good. when looking for one on ebay make sure it doesn't say squire. lol. Make sure it's a Fender Pbass. Costs around $350 new. look into some ibanez bass' also. Fender rumble 25 is a good bass amp for the fact that you are playing at home mainly or wherever, and won't be playing a bass with drums. It's 25 watts. On bass amps i'd stay away from any 15 watts. but 25 watts is good.
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
Quote by tomslespaul
I've been playing guitar for around 6 years so I do have a basic idea of how things play.. I want to get a bass just to mess around on, would also hopefully make my right hand much stronger and improve my fingerstyle skills which I can transfer to acoustic etc.. also I think itd improve my timing and "groove" on guitar Anyway.. I dont know wether I should just go for a 5 string, so theres the versatility. Seem to be a bit rarer though, so not as easy to find on ebay etc. What do you think? Also, need recomendations for a good cheap practise amp, I've been recommended a roland bass cube..

Cheers!

a 5 isnt exactly rare, but i wouldnt recommend it. theres no use for a low b beyond more notes and the removal of drop tuning. if your only concerned with hand strenght, just get one of those finger excersizers of musciansfrined. also, just because you play on the bass, doesnt mean you;ll improve your "groove." playing guitar riffs on a bass isnt going to improve on anything.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
I know but if I were to learn more bass orientated songs then I'd feel more.. I dunno.. funky hahaha. Learning drums helped my guitar playing and vice versa so bass can only be better. I wasnt planning on playing guitar riffs on bass :S I dont know where you got that idea from.. I was interested in a 5 string because well... I like versatility.
get a fender (4 string) jazz bass =) and dont cry when u c how much the S1 american series costs
www.myspace.com/nopeepingcommatom

Quote by Braindoctor
Dont ask for buttsecks straight away , wait about 3 minutes then WHAM stick it in her butt.

This guy knows his stuff!
dude stick with a 4 you want regret
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.

later that night
Well you see..I dont want to spend alot, because it isnt, and probably never will be my main instrument. I just want something to piss around on really. I was watching a banged up squire on ebay which looks like itl go for cheap :P
Quote by tomslespaul
Well you see..I dont want to spend alot, because it isnt, and probably never will be my main instrument. I just want something to piss around on really. I was watching a banged up squire on ebay which looks like itl go for cheap :P

ya, squiers are rather cheap, even though you could probably find better for not much more on ebay. the basses to keep an eye on from ebay are always ibanez or even some better peavy models.

have you taken a trip to your local pawn shop yet?
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
rondomusic.net

check the basses there. great quality for really cheap it seems. theyre supposed to be the best customizer bass you could ask for according to some people.
/\ yea, it is. i was going to sell somebody on this site my acoustic bass once, but the shipping was over $130 from maryland to ireland.
Quote by Mr. T
I got a 5 string bass, and it's really not a big of a deal as people say, but then again, I've never played a 4 string so I never had to adjust to a 5 string.

Do yourself a favor and get a 5 string, you'll be able to play more stuff.
Get a 4 string.

5 string is for more experienced players.. 4 string is good for beginners.
Quote by SlapFieldy
I got a 5 string bass, and it's really not a big of a deal as people say, but then again, I've never played a 4 string so I never had to adjust to a 5 string.

Do yourself a favor and get a 5 string, you'll be able to play more stuff.

Having posted the first comment, you're in no position to post the second.

Until you've experienced both options, please refrain from advocating one over the other.

Quote by WashBurn!
Get a 4 string.

5 string is for more experienced players.. 4 string is good for beginners.

Untrue. Victor Wooten plays a 4 string, Fieldy plays a 5. Which one is more experienced?

Both can be played by beginners or experts alike.

Quote by tomslespaul
I dont think Rondo ship to the UK though, even if they did it would be pretty expensive I imagine

Having considered buying from Rondo before, I have emailed their customer services chap. He says they'd ship to the UK, but the price for shipping is hefty (I mean really bad) and there is no returns for overseas stuff due to hideous shipping costs.

But, funnily enough, the total costs for buying and importing one of their jazz bass replicas would come to less than it would cost me to buy a Squier off the shelf in the UK. And Rondo are reportedly of much superior quality.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at May 20, 2006,
Start as you mean to go on, it's a waste of time and money and pure falacy to start on a 4 and work your way up to a 5.
5 string Basses came out to compete with modern keyboards that were outplaying them at the bottom end, I would certainly never go back to a 4 string.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yeah I just didnt want to end up buying the 4 string then wish I'd got the extra string, like if theres a song I'd like to learn thats only possible on a 5 string or something.. If it helps I want to try and learn a few Primus riffs, I heard Claypool uses 6 strings on some songs though so I dunno... I guess the best thing for me to do is to shut up here and go play on some in shops? I just dont want to embarrass myself in the shop as I suck on bass at present
Just explain to the staff in the shop that you're a beginner, and that you'd like to just get a feel for the instrument. If it's a decent store, they'll understand and help you out.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I got 5 string as my first bass and don't regret it, but I have no way of comparing. If you find a realtively cheap and decent 5 string you might as well but as a beginner it's not neccessary.
Quote by Caustic
Having posted the first comment, you're in no position to post the second.

Until you've experienced both options, please refrain from advocating one over the other.

Untrue. Victor Wooten plays a 4 string, Fieldy plays a 5. Which one is more experienced?

Both can be played by beginners or experts alike.

Having considered buying from Rondo before, I have emailed their customer services chap. He says they'd ship to the UK, but the price for shipping is hefty (I mean really bad) and there is no returns for overseas stuff due to hideous shipping costs.

But, funnily enough, the total costs for buying and importing one of their jazz bass replicas would come to less than it would cost me to buy a Squier off the shelf in the UK. And Rondo are reportedly of much superior quality.

you know that victor plays a 5 string also...
My first (electric) bass was a fretless 5 string. I wanted to challenge myself, and it worked.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
If you got a 5 string bass, you could always, y'know, just not use the fifth string if you don't want to
Quote by bouncingbassist
If you got a 5 string bass, you could always, y'know, just not use the fifth string if you don't want to

I hate you. You are the anti-Bumper. You represent all that is soulless and evil in the world of five and six stringed bass. Please, I beg of everyone out there, don't use the low B for a thumbrest! From what I've seen, you are experienced enough to use the low B (guitar for 6 years ought to carry over). I'd say get the 5. You'll thank yourself later.