I am looking to get a 12 string acoustic. I have three choices thus far. The Takamine, a Alvarez and a Breedlove.I don't really know what to get as this is my first acoustic. All I know is that I want a 12 string. Doesn't matter if it's an a/e or just acoustic. I just want it's actual acoustic tone to sound nice. If the elctronics suck I will just mic it. My limit is $800. Any suggestions are welcome.
My Gear:
Boss EQ-20
Budda BudWah
Fender Highway One Strat
Gibson SG Standard
MXR M-101
Traynor YCV80
I tend to like the breedlove for the sheer fact that it is mahogany back and sides and I prefer the sound of mahogany to maple.
If you don't whether or not it's an electric, get the Alvarez.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Well what would suit me better? I just want to get generalized tones out of it. The thime that got me interested in a 12 string was a guitar suck video on goodle video. Some guy was playing a 12 string acoustic. Anyways. I dunno what to go with for my wood choice. I just want to get that classic acoustic tone we all know and love. I can sense this is gong to be difficult for me.

Edit: Since the Alvarez is so cheap how does the quality compare to the other two?

Edit: I dunno the Takamine has been looking nice to me. I think it might be the one. Reviews said the tone was a bit tinny bit when amped it's very tweakable.
My Gear:
Boss EQ-20
Budda BudWah
Fender Highway One Strat
Gibson SG Standard
MXR M-101
Traynor YCV80
Last edited by Montague at May 20, 2006,
I'd recommend you try out Ovation... I'm pretty sure you can find one for under 800.

They're totally sweet 12'ers.
haha
I heard alot about Ovation but they just seemed to be ugly imo. I dunno I'm wierd like that. I found a WashBurn that I really like. Thing is I think I'm leaning more towards an a/e because of the built in tuner thing. But meh it's not a big gripe. I'll tune it by ear. I eliminated the Breedlove for a lack of fret board markers and I think but am not sure that mahogony back and sides would give too much of a deep tone. That's still up in the air though. I will go try out some pale versus mahogony backs. I still am looking at the Takamine and now these two Alvarez 1 and the Alvarez 2.

Edit: If I don't go with a Breedlove does anyone know where I can get a case like this? This thing looks rugged and beautiful. It has shoulder straps and looks like it could be a possible flight case.
My Gear:
Boss EQ-20
Budda BudWah
Fender Highway One Strat
Gibson SG Standard
MXR M-101
Traynor YCV80
Last edited by Montague at May 21, 2006,
^-- breedlove makes cases especially for their own guitars and that is it... there some minor differences in the measurements that breedlove uses for their dreadnought body guitars so they have to make cases to fit them since nobody elses cases fit them right.

about the guitars, i have that exact same model takamine 12 string and i really like it. it does sound a bit tinny plugged in but it's nothing that 30 seconds of tinkering on the amp/pa and pre-amp can't take care of. so yeah i highly reccomend it.

i can put up some pictures of it if you wanna see some more detailed shots of that guitar. just let me know.
Well meh for the case. I just love how it looks. Haven't seen a case of that quality for an acoustic before. Does the Takamine sound tinny unplugged also? If you do have time to post the pics please do. Thanks for your help.
My Gear:
Boss EQ-20
Budda BudWah
Fender Highway One Strat
Gibson SG Standard
MXR M-101
Traynor YCV80
nah it doesn't sound tinny at all unplugged... it sounds freakin great unplugged especially because it's the jumbo body style. here's some pictures... oh i just realized that the only pictures i have of the 12 string also have my other two takamines in the pictures... so you're getting pictures of my takamine family, hahaha. the three from left to right are: EG530SSC, EG523SC12, and a GS330S.

EDIT: i just found this one also:

Last edited by jimtaka at May 21, 2006,
Very nice. Very, very nice. How is the on-board tuner? Are there two strap buttons or is it a shoelace strap setup? To be honest I think I probably settled on the Takamine. Everything else isn't jumping out at me anymore.
My Gear:
Boss EQ-20
Budda BudWah
Fender Highway One Strat
Gibson SG Standard
MXR M-101
Traynor YCV80
the tuner is friggin so great to have on the 12 string... you really don't understand until you have it. i, probably like you, thought that i wouldn't give a flip whether or not it had an onboard tuner. i've been playing guitar for several years and only use a tuner if i'm going to like open c or something.... BUT it is so handy to have that tuner on this guitar!

the guitar comes with one strap button but i recently installed a second one.
Cool. Well then I'm going to try it out and hopefully by it.
My Gear:
Boss EQ-20
Budda BudWah
Fender Highway One Strat
Gibson SG Standard
MXR M-101
Traynor YCV80
cool man, hope you find one you like! 12 string is so fun to play.
Haha...your Takamine family....

I should start buying guitars as a hobby too, lol.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
"i like acoustic guitar" too, however....

I'm poor.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
You price range isn't around the price of the guitar I would suggest for a 12 string. But, in that case, I would go with the Breedlove.
^-- the reason i wouldn't go with the breedlove is that it is a concert body guitar, but that's just my personal preference
Tried out the takamine. I loved it. It was one of the four 12 strings they had in stock. I was going to by it today then it hit me.... no gigbag/case. They don't have any that will fit twelve strings. So I paid for it and left. I will pick it up but I need protection lol. So can anyone recommend me a case preferably or a gigbag for a twelve string?
My Gear:
Boss EQ-20
Budda BudWah
Fender Highway One Strat
Gibson SG Standard
MXR M-101
Traynor YCV80